Immersion: visible breath following travel direction and wind effects

Kauffy

Currently, when you're in a cold environment, your breath is visible-- but it's always visible right in front of you, regardless of the direction you're moving, or prevailing wind condition.

As a gameplay mechanic, this could serve as a bit of a weather vane, to let you know what direction the wind is blowing.

According to remarks the devs have made, the wind direction plays a role when determining if and how animals take notice of the player. I have noticed that wolves will sometimes whimper and flee before they see me when I'm wearing a wolfskin coat. I presume this is because they smell me. It would be awesome if this feature was expanded. Deer should flee even far downwind from the player, and wolves/bears might be attracted or deterred, depending on what the player wears and carries. When hunting, it would be essential to have the potential prey positioned upwind. Under such circumstances, it would be pivotal to recognize the direction the wind is blowing from. And that could be done if our breath would move with the breeze... 

5 hours ago, Hotzn said:

According to remarks the devs have made, the wind direction plays a role when determining if and how animals take notice of the player. I have noticed that wolves will sometimes whimper and flee before they see me when I'm wearing a wolfskin coat. I presume this is because they smell me. It would be awesome if this feature was expanded. Deer should flee even far downwind from the player, and wolves/bears might be attracted or deterred, depending on what the player wears and carries. When hunting, it would be essential to have the potential prey positioned upwind. Under such circumstances, it would be pivotal to recognize the direction the wind is blowing from. And that could be done if our breath would move with the breeze... 

They could perhaps add some environmental indicators, such as leaves blowing about? If that didn't cause too much strain on the performance.

Archived