Bear bait

Rolandtigerfish

Ok so I've been doing some testing again in preparation for interloper mode. One thing I cannot get around is the mechanics of the bears.  Early testing in pilgrim mode shows they are not interested at all in decoy fish, meat, or gut.

To clarify I do not taunt them, rather watch their root and place piles of fish over an area I have seen them travel. The idea behind this is to hunt them in a similar way real hunters do.  Make or find a place to hide and then place food near where the bear is likely to go.  That way you better control the conditions of the shot you take. While we cannot understandably make hunting blinds, we should be able to bait a bear or wolf on higher difficulty levels. For two reasons

1: hunting

The distance between you and the bear with a bow will always be inside his detection range unless you know which way the bear is traveling or you have cover to shoot from. With the ability to bait this would give you the chance to choose your tiny window of opportunity to take a bear.

2: distraction.  

Say I want to harvest a carcass in a bear area, it would be nice to place a bait far enough away that the bear pays me little mind.

I know not everyone will agree with this but the potential benefits are high.

Pretty sure the predator has to be agro'd on you before it pays attention to dropped decoys. In pilgrim, unless you put a projectile in the bear, that's not happening... and not sure how effective that even is in pilgrim.

In the other difficulties, it's easy to lure bears. When they agro on you, they'll just keep plodding along toward you until you get too far away or they lose line of sight... or you let them get too close and make a chew toy of you; which would be silly of you. You can drag that bear just about anywhere you want it and set up whatever shot you want.

If you want predators to just go after any old meat you drop, that's a lot bigger issue that gets into outdoor meat storage as well. Pros and cons of that have been hashed over quite a bit.

@SteelFire true but porches would be generally safe. But what about specific meat lures.  Bears and fish wolf's and deer or rabbit.  Leaves you with options and lets the high value meat of bear be generally ignored. 

Or what if you had to wait for the meat to hit a lower % of quality.  Say 25% and if it's in their agro area they find it and eat it?

Stinky almost spoiled meat is a higher value to opprotunistic predators. Mostly because it's sceant area is larger.

In the next few days I plan to write up another wish-list for additional items added to the game, one of them being actual bear-traps and small animal traps (not just the snares you can create at work benches). 

Actual trapping gear could be added to the game fairly easily--put in 3 or 4 small animal traps scattered throughout the world and 1 or 2 bear traps. Make them heavy (3-5 kg) and high maintenance (requiring metal, quality tools and or a workbench/forge to repair)--this will make them impractical for carrying everywhere, but useful if you're setting up base somewhere. And in the off-chance they get broken (low likelihood for small animal trap, medium likelihood for bear trap), make them unrepairable (like the bow). 

Honestly, I would love to snag a wolf and finish it off with arrows; or let it slowly starve to death (thus reducing the amount and quality of harvestable items). Bear traps could have the same functionality, but with a potential of the bear breaking loose and agro-ing if you come upon it and it is still alive. 

Being trapped also leaves animals (foxes and bears) susceptible to being attacked and eaten by other animals--meaning less of a yield of meat/items for you when you go to harvest.

I also like the idea of being able to forge a simple small animal trap at a forge.

Archived