Wear the bedroll

wildethan

6 hours ago, wildethan said:

Yea but it's totally not intuitive.  This is life or death, people.

This is my major problem, for a lack of a better term, with many "survival" games: you can't really do anything many people would actually do in reality, because that "isn't fun/balanced"

In reality, if I were cold, I would totally wrap myself up in a blanket from a spare bed. In-game; nope, no can do.

In reality, if I needed arrowheads, I would cut/file down some spoons, or scrap metal, as opposed to forging them out. Instead, I have to trek out to some nonsensical location in order to do something I've done on my lap, with little more than a folding multitool.

As with various other aspects of the game, there is a limit to the strict "reality" or your situation, as we work to craft an interesting and compelling gameplay experience. It's a balance. Not getting the warmth bonus of a bedroll in every possible situation is part of that approach. By putting some limits on what you can do with each items, it asks different and hopefully interesting questions of you that are specific to the game world itself. And yes, sometimes, this may even go counter to a decision you would make in "real life," but it's a balance we are constantly taking note of. :)

18 hours ago, Boston123 said:

This is my major problem, for a lack of a better term, with many "survival" games: you can't really do anything many people would actually do in reality, because that "isn't fun/balanced"

In reality, if I were cold, I would totally wrap myself up in a blanket from a spare bed. In-game; nope, no can do.

In reality, if I needed arrowheads, I would cut/file down some spoons, or scrap metal, as opposed to forging them out. Instead, I have to trek out to some nonsensical location in order to do something I've done on my lap, with little more than a folding multitool.

I've made that point as well, we would have all the arrowhead blanks we could ever use in the form of spoons from the kitchen drawers, only needing to bash them flat with the heavy hammer, or by using the vice on the workbench to flatten them.

http://prepforshtf.com/arrowhead-spoon/

Archived