What was your most intense near death experience?

JomoKiN

"When snatched from the jaws of death, tooth marks are to be expected." - Hal Story, near-death experiencer

We've all had out close encounters in this game, but some of them stand out amongst others. What experience have you had while surviving that put you on the very brink of death, where you weren't sure if you'd make it home?

I'll start w/ mine.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 On ~day 50 of my first Stalker playthrough, I had just entered  Pleasant Valley from Coastal Highway. After passing by the the Rural Store and traveling straight towards the barns, what do I see over the hilltop?..

A pack of eight god**** wolves

Now I'm all for a challenge, but I know when I'm outnumbered. At this point I was already tired, hungry, and thirsty. So, I decided to head back and rest up for the night. Well, you can imagine my surprise when I turn around to find a wolf barking up at me. After not firing in time, I managed to get him off me with some difficulty: leaving me at 75% condition.

No problem, right?

That's what I was thinking, after a couple steps, there it is again... More barking.

Here was were I was scared. Another struggled happened, 60%.

Profusely bleeding, both hands and ankles sprained, and not nearly enough painkillers to top myself off, I make a mad dash back to the store. But there it was again... More barking. 

I turn around once more to see two wolves following my trail, I hadn't even made it back over the hill at this point. Here, my fatigue dropped so high I couldn't even sprint. Desperate, I light one of my two flares and meet the wolves halfway, just to get them off my back faster. Which worked... for a good 10 seconds. Just over the hilltop at this point, they began to stalk me once more.I drop the flare in favor of my rifle; fully loaded. Limping and over-encumbered, I'm moving like a snail. The two wolves quickly catch back up to me, desperate and scared, I just fire my rifle, again and again.

The previous struggles had torn my clothes to shreds. As a storm rolls in, I get colder and colder.

48...20...10...0...-10... and so on.

Freezing, exhausted, starving, and thirsty, reaches ~50% not before long. And the wolves get closer still...

One of them charges.

I shoot.

But too late.

A third struggles goes down. Thankfully, the bullet wound kills the wolf while struggling for my life. 10%

I take my emergency-stim, but its not enough. The ever growing cold, my hunger and thirst quickly takes that bonus 15% back down.

Barely to the road...barking. Another wolf makes his way down the hillside. I take potshots, just scaring him away. I quickly burn through my bullets as I force him to run back every time he picks back up on my trail.

I make it to the store, safely, but not in good condition. I tend to my blood loss as best I can, eat what little food and water I had on me. But there's no bed in the store, and I'm freezing. It's only 32 degrees, I'm going to die.

But I'll be damned if I let happen, cowering in a corner. 

I leave the store and make my way across the bridge; the wind pushing back against my struggles. The cold sets in once again, stronger then ever. 

9%...5%...lower and lower my condition drops.

Stumbling across the bridge, both of our hearts racing, we're met with two options:

Head for the car, which might be warm enough.

Head for the house, much farther, but guaranteed warm.

I take my chances with the car, I'd rather die safe in the car than let the wolves feast on me

3%...

My vision starts fading as the vignette of death wraps around me. I make it inside, barely. The car was warm enough, barely.

2%...

I'm still starving and even thirstier. I take my chances with the near spoiled food I had, I'm dead if I get sick, my antibiotics were in the house. Thankfully, I don't get sick. Topped off and warming up, I do to sleep; no bedroll either. Hopefully it won't get colder.

I wake up two hours later freezing, but with some extra condition. I take another chance and set off to the house.

8%...

The wind is howling, but it wasn't the only thing.

More barking.

With a loud "Oh f*** off!" I take a potshot at the wolf with my last bullet. 

Bulls-eye.

I head back inside, my vision fading again, and collapse into the warm bed.

I made it home...

Safe, for the day...

If you've got any experiences like that, please share! I'd love to hear what other people here have been through in this horrible, Canadian, wilderness!

Archived