Finally get the rifle then the wolves disappear

Ultimateauthority

This isn't really much of a question - just a complaint and one question.

The question is - IS there any way to be able to go back a redo an area before you are killed?  Like - I screwed up there, so I'd like to go back and try something different.  Is there anyway to do that - after you are already DEAD?

So I am playing in Voyager mode - exploring everything on the coastal highway, and finding no rifle anywhere but ammunition here and there, so I move over to the area with the cannery and broken bridge (the lighthouse area - forgot the name).  Running low on stored food, I finally get the rifle from a cave near the destroyed bridge.  Yahoo!  So, I think to myself, "No more getting mauled by wolves when I run out of flares - now I am gonna get even".  NOPE!  All the wolves disappear from their usual areas around the cannery, and no bucks are around either.

So, I'm already in starvation mode so I am walking towards the lighthouse where I know food is stored and what do you know?  I wolf comes out of nowhere and kills me off.

I know this game is tough, but jezz man - give a guy a break.

Sorry, but dead is dead. All you can do is learn from your mistakes and do better next time around.

As to this particular experience...

Desolation Point is the area you were in. You must have gotten extremely lucky, or unlucky depending on your point of view, that the cave where you found the rifle was unoccupied. Typically, a wolf lives there, (DP's own version of Fluffy, who I thought had been given a name by the community too) and is accompanied by a number of deer carcasses along with the rifle's previous owner carrying some supplies. I'm kinda surprised on Voyageur that between CH houses, Crumbling Highway basement, and DP locations that you were short of food to the point of starving. Some of that must be inexperience, because there's at least 2 guaranteed deer carcasses in DP, one of which would almost certainly provide you with a bow and arrow. Chasing after a rifle unnecessarily was a bad idea too. You could have stockpiled some fish in CH and explored it better or moved over to ML or PV instead.

And, so long as you have a knife, getting into a fist fight with a wolf is a viable option for acquiring food before you get to starvation...

If you're playing voyageur and explored the CH garage and surrounding houses, there's almost no chance you wouldn't find at least one knife. They may not always be simply laying on the floor or a counter, sometimes they're stabbed into something. If not a knife, then a hatchet, and the garage almost always contains a hacksaw... so there's three options for harvesting carcasses; two of which are also used to fight off wolves and mortally injure them.

Most tools and equipment aren't equipped directly. In the case of a wolf fight, the game just equips any knife or hatchet (if no knife available) in your inventory to fight with. In the case of harvesting, it gives you the option for selecting which tool to use and provides adjusted time/calories burned stats while selecting.

There's still always fishing too, which you should have found tackle, hooks, and lines for... but if you hadn't found tools, I'm not sure where you're even looking.

Thanks SteelFire about the "equipment" issue.  You are correct - when I have a knife in my inventory, I seem to recall that I have used that to defend myself against a wolf.  It didn't make all that different in the end though and I still died.  My lonely, broken and decaying body just fed the crows/ravens in the end.

My Spirit fled the mortal coil and landed in Trek/Geek land where I was met by a saucy looking Vulcan chick.  I'll get pictures next time (wink).

I remember when I first started playing,  I didn't find a rifle until my sixth game,  I was so chuffed to find it. Finally,  here was something that would help beat my record of surviving 4 days (Voyager). An hour or so later arriving at Coastal Highway I saw my very first bear plodding up the road towards me. I thought this would be a great opportunity to try out the rifle so, like the complete noob that I was,  i just stood in the middle of road, aimed at the slowly approaching bear and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened except a click, and it took me a few moment's to figure out that I needed to load the gun. The bear was getting real close now but I had a gun so I was alright, right? I stood there in the road, aimed at his head, fired my shot, and promptly learned a very valuable TLD lesson....that bullets make bears MAD! It charged, I turned and ran squeaking like a girl up a large boulder that would surely save me. Next TLD lesson learned, bears can climb. I died about 10mins later from wounds/cold.

So, yeah, my first gun experience, and my first bear experience (complete with first bear mauling experience. Bonus! )

Well over a hundred hours pumped into this game now and, playing on Stalker, I never use rifles, preferring to wait until I've made a bow before I start hunting. It makes the first week a more intense experience.

Oh and in all that play time I've only ever killed two bears. They're easily avoided, and i just feel too damn guilty killing them. 

On 1/21/2017 at 9:45 AM, Ultimateauthority said:

Finding a knife to use to harvest dead deer is not that easy either. 

This is specific to Desolation Point: it's possible to find a knife in desolation point, but it's not guaranteed.   I love Desolation Point, it's one of my favorite zones.  But you are far more likely to find a knife or hatchet in Mystery Lake or Coastal Highway.

Did you know it's possible to harvest an animal carcass without any tool?  The trick is to build a fire next to it and thaw it to less than 50% frozen.   You'll need a lot of time to do it with your bare hands, so make the fire last long enough to keep YOU warm while you harvest.

20160409092919_1.jpg

I went 200 days in a DP-only run with no knife, except an improvised one I crafted in the forge, so I know your pain!

If i had a dollar for every time i died, from something that the gun [that i had just recently found] couldn't save me from....

Its experiences like what you just had, that make such great stories though !

[and no, there is no way to save yourself aside from slamming that escape key or hitting ALT-F4 just prior to an event happening]

3 hours ago, Karzee said:

i just stood in the middle of road, aimed at the slowly approaching bear and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened except a click, and it took me a few moment's to figure out that I needed to load the gun. The bear was getting real close now but I had a gun so I was alright, right? I stood there in the road, aimed at his head, fired my shot, and promptly learned a very valuable TLD lesson....that bullets make bears MAD! It charged, I turned and ran squeaking like a girl up a large boulder that would surely save me. Next TLD lesson learned, bears can climb. I died about 10mins later from wounds/cold.

This is step by step exactly what I did when I found my first rifle, on Day 2 of my first playthrough, playing on Pilgrim. Learned my lesson pretty quickly.

7 hours ago, togg said:

You can backup your save file, they're not hidden or anything and the devs are not against it. After you die they're destroyed tough.

Yep, one thing to remember though, is that the second the attack takes place, the game saves automatically, so unless it has been backed up prior to this, the next place it reloads is at the beginning of the attack

Archived