Long Lasting Embers

vancopower

I think that Embers should last more especially if they are in a cooking stove. I have something similar in my home and this winter is very cold like -30 Celsius so I check on the fire regularly. However sometimes I forget to put logs for 3-4 hours and when I open up the stove there are still embers in it small but enough to start up a fire if you have highly flammable materials like  eggs packaging materials which can be used as tinder to start up the fire again and then you just put some thin wood plank or thin firewood wait for 5 min and the fire is back on no need to re-lite. So I think there should be a same mechanic in the game too.

Something like this:

When the fire goes out embers will remain for another 1-2 hours outside and 3-4 hours in a stove. However in order to start up the fire from embers you will need more than 1 tinder more like 3-4.  This would go well with the blowing mechanic that they plan to implement in the future :)  

I really like that idea, because it is realistic and it can be balanced by making embers not give off the full heat value of the fire, but only a few degrees. It lasts because you've basically cooked the remains down to charcoal and insulated it in the ash and carbon, so you're left with something that's only burning very slowly.

15 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

I agree, but in order to get good embers going you need a fire that has burned either cedar/fir/coal in the past hour and for that fire to have burnt for over 45 mins. Spending tinder and a stick to reignite it would save matches and could be a lifesaver.

Yes this will prevent an exploit where you could sustain a fire the whole day just by using tinder. In order for the embers to appear you need to have a burn time for at least 45 min similar to coal adding limit, only this time it happens when the fire dies out. If you start a fire and extinguish it under 45 min the embers would not appear at all.

I hope that they put this small feature in the next update :)

Archived