Open world and a farming system?

Sebastian

I think the game should be more open world on a global scale. For example, you can travel from Canada to parts of the US. This would allow for a variation to game play because seeing snow everywhere gets repetitive after a while. Also, I'm thinking of allowing the player to survive in different environments (desert, rain forest, jungle, savanna, etc), and each environment has its own unique feature. For example, in a desert environment, it would be difficult to get water and there's danger of attacks by wildlife. A rain forest would have plenty of food and water, but extremely dangerous.
As for the farming system, shouldn't the player be able to raise animal/grow plants for food/resource? For example, raising fish the player catches so in case of a storm the player can just get the fish from the farm instead of going out to search for food.

14 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

I think the game should be more open world on a global scale. For example, you can travel from Canada to parts of the US. This would allow for a variation to game play because seeing snow everywhere gets repetitive after a while. Also, I'm thinking of allowing the player to survive in different environments (desert, rain forest, jungle, savanna, etc), and each environment has its own unique feature. For example, in a desert environment, it would be difficult to get water and there's danger of attacks by wildlife. A rain forest would have plenty of food and water, but extremely dangerous.
As for the farming system, shouldn't the player be able to raise animal/grow plants for food/resource? For example, raising fish the player catches so in case of a storm the player can just get the fish from the farm instead of going out to search for food.

Your idea is not synced with the story which is about a pilot stranded on an island in Canada by a geomagnetic storm which knocks out anything electric. How is this person supposed to travel from Canada to US only on his two feet ?  Not to mention the cold and snow and wolves... well you get the picture. Jungle?? Savanna ?? I'm not from that part of the world so maybe I am wrong but in order to get to the rain forests you should travel to South America which far far away even by horse so how can one put that into 1 game. The Long Dark is not a fantasy world like minecraft where one biome ends and another one immediately begins. 

However if you check out the road map here: http://hinterlandgames.com/the-long-dark/roadmap/

You will see that Seasons are planned and the features that you are describing like: Farming and planting are on the TO DO list. So yea there will be things like that in the game. Also I like the Fish farming feature I hope that they put that into the game.

1 hour ago, vancopower said:

Your idea is not synced with the story which is about a pilot stranded on an island in Canada by a geomagnetic storm which knocks out anything electric. How is this person supposed to travel from Canada to US only on his two feet ?  Not to mention the cold and snow and wolves... well you get the picture. Jungle?? Savanna ?? I'm not from that part of the world so maybe I am wrong but in order to get to the rain forests you should travel to South America which far far away even by horse so how can one put that into 1 game.

Forgot to mention this but thinking there should be multiple story options which will strand the player in different environments. The environments don't necessary have to be connected because as you said, it would be pretty much impossible to get from one area to another.

I feel that the developer goal may not really be to have the player necessarily hunker down forever. If you really think about it, the game would get EXTREMELY repetitive very fast if you stopped venturing and started farming for all your food. As for raising animals, fish seem to be the only plausible one. Deer cannot be contained in an enclosure so long as it is less than 10 feet high. Wolves.... I can't see why you would want to raise them, except for pets (and personally I think if you want to tame wolves just add dogs instead.) Bears? It would be like Jurassic Park meets TLD. Things would get messy. Domesticated animals (cows, sheep, horses, chickens, etc.) no longer exist (except maybe a few dogs) as they would have either starved or been eaten. 

New regions doesn't seem like too bad of an idea for me. The only problem is that it would be priority number -100 because you would need to create new regions, multiple ones for each biome, new mechanics (clothing would pretty much go out the window in the jungle and the desert.) and new animals. So this addition would be at LEAST five years down the line or more. It would nearly be as big a project as Story mode itself. I do think it would be a very refreshing option, though.

21 hours ago, JErosion said:

Made we will find a green house in a future region

Sounds like an amazing idea, would seem like a miracle the first time you stumble on it

Probably should be  small with nothing growing in it except weeds and take a lot of work to get something out of it

Archived