Actual Texts in Books

Kirby

As we all know, the game contains books that help the character improve his/her skills. However, those books don´t contain any information for the player. I think it would be a simple and nice touch to copy some small texts from help forums and discussion pages that could help new players. Maybe they could be designed like actual texts from such books and magazines, just as a small detail. Of course, the player should not be forced to read since most of the current players are pretty experienced already.

For example:

"Field Dressing your Kill, Vol. I "  could explain (roughly) how much freezing affects the speed of harvesting and what the different parts are used for.

"Wilderness Kitchen" could go over some calorie levels for different meat types and how the temperature of the fire affects the speed of cooking. Could also maybe mention the risks of food poisoning, parasites etc.

"Survive the Outdoors!" could contain some diagrams on fire temperature and duration depending on fuel. Could also (since it´s a survival guide and not a fire starting guide) contain various small details that could be useful to new players but don´t really fit in any other category.

"The Frozen Angler" could show lists of types of fish in either lake or sea, also with average weight. Could also mention some of the options of breaking ice sorted by effectiveness (without explicitly stating that, that would be too easy).

"Advanced Guns Guns Guns!" could contain information on damage zones, bleeding and some info on bow hunting.

"Frontier Shooting Guide" could contain crude explanations of how to aim, how the bullet drops, how the damage drop works etc.

I would love to hear your ideas!

As an alternate suggestion, the books could explain actual survival skills.

"Field Dressing your Kill, Vol. I" - You want to skin the animal soon after its death, otherwise the fur will trap the animal's body heat and cause the meat to spoil sooner.

"Wilderness Kitchen" - Place a flat rock in a fire to improvise a pan.

"Frontier Shooting Guide" - When aiming for an animal, the largest kill area is often the lower edge of the torso, shortly behind it's foreleg.  This is where the heart and lungs are located and will provide a kill more reliably than aiming for a head shot.

On 20.1.2017 at 10:19 PM, FluffyEskimo said:

As an alternate suggestion, the books could explain actual survival skills.

That would be awesome for more experienced players! I would love to read stuff like that in the game.

Only... I think new players could be confused. I mean, if a book in a game says that removing the fur is important to slow down the decay of carcasses, wouldn´t you as a noob try to do that with every animal you kill from that point onward? And there is no way of finding out the info was wrong either, noone tries to find out what affects decay rates if they think they already know what does. For me that exactly was the case with meat decaying. I watched an older play-through, and the person said that temperature not affecting decay rates was a really bad design choice. I just assumed that was the case and starved multiple times.

You could maybe add it as a extra point like "Real life parallels" but that would maybe ruin the immersion. As in "oh that doesn´t work in this game? man..."

Anyways, I love the idea, maybe someone knows how to actually implement that. Maybe filter by play hours or something.

On January 20, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Kirby said:

As we all know, the game contains books that help the character improve his/her skills. However, those books don´t contain any information for the player. I think it would be a simple and nice touch to copy some small texts from help forums and discussion pages that could help new players. Maybe they could be designed like actual texts from such books and magazines, just as a small detail. Of course, the player should not be forced to read since most of the current players are pretty experienced already.

For example:

"Field Dressing your Kill, Vol. I "  could explain (roughly) how much freezing affects the speed of harvesting and what the different parts are used for.

"Wilderness Kitchen" could go over some calorie levels for different meat types and how the temperature of the fire affects the speed of cooking. Could also maybe mention the risks of food poisoning, parasites etc.

"Survive the Outdoors!" could contain some diagrams on fire temperature and duration depending on fuel. Could also (since it´s a survival guide and not a fire starting guide) contain various small details that could be useful to new players but don´t really fit in any other category.

"The Frozen Angler" could show lists of types of fish in either lake or sea, also with average weight. Could also mention some of the options of breaking ice sorted by effectiveness (without explicitly stating that, that would be too easy).

"Advanced Guns Guns Guns!" could contain information on damage zones, bleeding and some info on bow hunting.

"Frontier Shooting Guide" could contain crude explanations of how to aim, how the bullet drops, how the damage drop works etc.

I would love to hear your ideas!

Posted something in the lines of this here, it's the reply at the end

23 hours ago, Name62 said:

Posted something in the lines of this here

You don´t have to quote the whole post :)

Yeah, I actually saw that topic before I wrote this. I personally love the idea of having maps or some background lore on the walls or on signs. But I felt like the books were an entirely different thing, that´s why I didn´t link to your post.

Anyways, now that you linked it yourself, maybe one of the mods could merge the two topics, idk :)

Edit: Oh, it´s not even your topic. It´s just your reply. Why do you repost a reply to a topic that isn´t really linked to this one? Or if you do, just post your original message again and mention the fact that it´s a repost at the end. This is just kind of inefficient, don´t you think? ^^

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

You don´t have to quote the whole post :)

Yeah, I actually saw that topic before I wrote this. I personally love the idea of having maps or some background lore on the walls or on signs. But I felt like the books were an entirely different thing, that´s why I didn´t link to your post.

Anyways, now that you linked it yourself, maybe one of the mods could merge the two topics, idk :)

Edit: Oh, it´s not even your topic. It´s just your reply. Why do you repost a reply to a topic that isn´t really linked to this one? Or if you do, just post your original message again and mention the fact that it´s a repost at the end. This is just kind of inefficient, don´t you think? ^^

Merging to two would be cool, to combine the ideas as there both pretty cool, info on walls and in books & in a % of news papers 

ps:hopefully that's better now. 

image.jpg

Archived