Adding: Poop

Deathdealers747

Call me silly, but I think they need to add poop into the game on some level! I don't care, in particular, about the main character having to poop, as that can be chosen to be added (or not) at a later date - I can see some serious complications coming about from your daily routine if you had to throw bathroom breaks into the mix. However, I am mostly speaking about Animal Droppings. 

1. Tracking of Animals - I'd like to know if a Bear or Wolf had been near my cabin recently and left their scat in the area to prove it - otherwise, I'd never know! I'd also like to track and hunt-down the occasional, specific, type of animal for their hide to make items out of it.

2. Burning of Fuel for Fire - Yep, this is real, in real life. Nomads in the Sahara Dessert use Goat/Horse Poop (after being dried) to fuel their fires. It smells nasty, of course, but it works wonders (provides a consistent burn), lasts a long time, and (to my knowledge) doesn't require tinder. 

It's an interesting idea, but how do you propose we dry it in our arctic-like environment? There's a reason you see this in areas that are very arid: there's a lack of wood and chunks of densely-packed, partially broken down fodder can easily be dried and recycled. Not sure the number of deer and rabbits in the world would provide enough fuel versus effort compared to the readily available amount of wood either.

5 hours ago, SteelFire said:

It's an interesting idea, but how do you propose we dry it in our arctic-like environment? There's a reason you see this in areas that are very arid: there's a lack of wood and chunks of densely-packed, partially broken down fodder can easily be dried and recycled. Not sure the number of deer and rabbits in the world would provide enough fuel versus effort compared to the readily available amount of wood either.

Well, if this were to be introduced - collecting and drying animal faeces - it would raise the question as to why we don't have to dry out firewood we find lying in the snow, as well. That might be a can of worms that doesn't need opening.

On tracking: it just isn't necessary to track animals at all with the current AI and spawning systems. If you want to hunt, you just go to where the animals are, then shoot them! In order for any kind of tracking to be introduced, and be worthwhile, it'd need a big overhaul of the way the wildlife behaves and moves around the map. This isn't to shoot down the suggestion at all - more free-roaming, less predictable wildlife movement would be a big plus to the game overall if the devs could pull it off.

(by the way, who actually uses the word 'poop' unless they are talking to someone below the age of 6, or are below the age of 6 themselves?)

10 hours ago, Deathdealers747 said:

Call me silly, but I think they need to add poop into the game on some level! I don't care, in particular, about the main character having to poop, as that can be chosen to be added (or not) at a later date - I can see some serious complications coming about from your daily routine if you had to throw bathroom breaks into the mix. However, I am mostly speaking about Animal Droppings. 

1. Tracking of Animals - I'd like to know if a Bear or Wolf had been near my cabin recently and left their scat in the area to prove it - otherwise, I'd never know! I'd also like to track and hunt-down the occasional, specific, type of animal for their hide to make items out of it.

2. Burning of Fuel for Fire - Yep, this is real, in real life. Nomads in the Sahara Dessert use Goat/Horse Poop (after being dried) to fuel their fires. It smells nasty, of course, but it works wonders (provides a consistent burn), lasts a long time, and (to my knowledge) doesn't require tinder. 

Yep, they burn yak poop in Tibet, and horse poop in Mongolia (not really many trees in some areas there)

edit: I have actually warmed myself in the snow beside a yak dung fire, whilst at the Mount Everest base camp, and can attest to their warmth [and smell]

To be honest having a extra way of knowing if any animals are present would not be a bad idea.

Fresh/warm (vs. cold) wolf droppings could be a way to be alerted of danger in the area.

As well rabbit droppings could make it somewhat easier to know where one places snares and traps.

Burning dried faeces feels like something most people would not know about, and the amount one would need to gather and dry indoors makes it feel quite tedious.

People already have a hard time with excrements as it is, so having it in games might make people feel uncomfortable.

SIdenote: (not gameplay related)

Strangely enough one of human kinds greatest leaps in health care is the way we are able to get rid of excrements and connect diseases to waste. But sadly almost nobody really wants to talk about it. Sanitation has saved a whole lot more lives than penicillin and antibiotics combined and still does. Most people have probably heard of Alexander Fleming who found/invented penicillin, but very few have heard of John Snow or Edwin Chadwick, who also contributed a huge amount to health care. I recommend you google them up if you have never heard of them.

2 hours ago, Pillock said:

Well, if this were to be introduced - collecting and drying animal faeces - it would raise the question as to why we don't have to dry out firewood we find lying in the snow, as well. That might be a can of worms that doesn't need opening.

Yeah, that's one of the not-realistic aspects that's required so that we can actually play the game. We're really just hand waving that the limbs that fall are already long dead and effectively seasoned and ready to be burned.

3 hours ago, Pillock said:

(by the way, who actually uses the word 'poop' unless they are talking to someone below the age of 6, or are below the age of 6 themselves?)

Curse words aren't allowed on this forum and the word 'poop' allows for a more... friendly... manner in speaking of something that wishes not to be spoken of! I always read the rules, first, wherever I go online. I didn't think of the word: Dung, though, and I don't know why because I have actually played several games that had used that word.

Well, if this were to be introduced - collecting and drying animal feces - it would raise the question as to why we don't have to dry out firewood we find lying in the snow, as well. That might be a can of worms that doesn't need opening.

Yeah... I hadn't thought of that one. But I guess, like the Firewood, would could skip this process? The game is still in Alpha, after all.

8 hours ago, Don Honas said:

SIdenote: (not gameplay related)

Strangely enough one of human kinds greatest leaps in health care is the way we are able to get rid of excrements and connect diseases to waste. But sadly almost nobody really wants to talk about it. Sanitation has saved a whole lot more lives than penicillin and antibiotics combined and still does. Most people have probably heard of Alexander Fleming who found/invented penicillin, but very few have heard of John Snow or Edwin Chadwick, who also contributed a huge amount to health care. I recommend you google them up if you have never heard of them.

John Snow is an especially interesting example of the unfortunate tendency in the sciences to dismiss anything new in favour of long held beliefs despite mounting evidence that they're wrong. I've actually had a professor remark in a lecture once that new ideas are adopted as the old Profs die off and stop blocking them. The good news is that although progress may be slow and sometimes blocked for foolish reasons science is always progressing.

For a really good series on John Snow and the Broad Street Pump I recommend everyone check out the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLpzHHbFrHY

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

John Snow is an especially interesting example of the unfortunate tendency in the sciences to dismiss anything new in favour of long held beliefs despite mounting evidence that they're wrong. I've actually had a professor remark in a lecture once that new ideas are adopted as the old Profs die off and stop blocking them. The good news is that although progress may be slow and sometimes blocked for foolish reasons science is always progressing.

For a really good series on John Snow and the Broad Street Pump I recommend everyone check out the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLpzHHbFrHY

Eloquently put.

• 1 month later...

For tracking animals, yes, I could see this.

For fire making, no. I've been camping in Canada many times and have never had to, nor wanted to, use animal faeces for fire. You get a massive boreal forest, why not use it?

In any case, the animals we currently have in game do not have the appropriate diet/faeces for fire building.

9 hours ago, mattyboi said:

In any case, the animals we currently have in game do not have the appropriate diet/faeces for fire building.

Deer and moose dung works well if well dried.

9 hours ago, mattyboi said:

You get a massive boreal forest, why not use it?

This, is probably the most important point in this thread; compared to wood, dung is a poor fuel and is typically only used in places that lack trees.

2 hours ago, Dug said:

Deer and moose dung works well if well dried.

I'm not saying deer dung cannot combust, but I wouldn't want to be down on my hands and knees trying to pick up enough of those little pellets in order to make a fire.

Also, haven't yet seen a moose in the game...

19 minutes ago, mattyboi said:

I'm not saying deer dung cannot combust, but I wouldn't want to be down on my hands and knees trying to pick up enough of those little pellets in order to make a fire.

Also, haven't yet seen a moose in the game...

Moose are currently in the testing phase. There's been some teasers released by the studio showing moose models.

Archived