Clothing question for long term survivors

tnbp

I'm approaching day 200 on my voyageur sandbox and I've been keeping a "backup" set of clothing in some containers.  I thought that was a pretty good idea because 100 days ago or so, and many patches ago, a wolf attack ruined my wolfskin coat and I didn't have another jacket to keep me warm while I was making another in the interim.  I hunted and skinned with fires nearby at all times and eventually got another wolfskin coat up and running.  And then, after that, I ended up moving on to other areas and looting backup clothing to bring home in case of emergency.

Fast forward to today...

I have these backups in containers in my home-- but the degrade, even just sitting there, never being used.  So, I'm thinking about the long-term viability of even bothering to have them.  They will take up cloth to mend, which is a finite resource.  Am I better off just turning them all into cloth to repair the toque and scarf and balaclava I have and just keep extra hides around to make new stuff if my current crafted clothing has another accident?  Or is it somehow worth mending clothing and using up cloth just to hang on as long as possible?  The latter doesn't make sense to me but it seems that's what is somehow intended?

For you guys in crazy long games, how have you dealt with the clothing system in this respect?  Is it all crafted clothing or bust at some point?

I keep 2 heavy wool sweaters, 2 pars wool socks, a touque, the balaclava. That's all you need and only the touque and one pair of socks ever needs repairing if you have 2 wolfskin coats or 1 bear coat and 1 wolfskin coat. (I'm trying to get another bear for a second bear coat)

From the latest update, especially if you have crafted items, the clothing holds up very well and only needs occasional repair.

Save everything you find for cloth and make your clothes ASAP.

Archived