poisoned by....Cooked Tomato soup?

AZHockeyNut

For the first time ever, I got sick after cooking tomato soup! it was 20% but I was low on food and I had a nice fire going to boil some water....if boiling water makes it safe to drink why not would the same hold true to soup or any of the other food we cook?  The counter argument would be if that can make me sick then I should be able to get sick from anything I cook, randomly water that was boiled, etc.

Not sure I should report it as a bug or not. what does the community think?

I've thought about this myself and managed to pull off cooking a couple 'rusty' cans of food and not getting sick off of them, without knowing it that was just random good luck or the fact it was cooked. But, from my logical standpoint, even when heating canned food, it's still in the same, old rusted out can, so maybe it could still make you sick.

Melting snow and boiling the water, I always assumed we're handwaving that it's done in one of the random pots that are around, which would be considered to be in good condition.

13 hours ago, SteelFire said:

Melting snow and boiling the water, I always assumed we're handwaving that it's done in one of the random pots that are around, which would be considered to be in good condition.

I've always thought we cup our hands together and hold the water over the fire to boil it, then gently let it trickle through our fingers into the magic weightless plastic bottle that comes in varying sizes to suit.

Or maybe we take a mouthful of non-potable water, then hold our heads over the fire until the water is boiled, then spit it into the bottles? That way it might be easier to prevent spillage.

27 minutes ago, Pillock said:

I've always thought we cup our hands together and hold the water over the fire to boil it, then gently let it trickle through our fingers into the magic weightless plastic bottle that comes in varying sizes to suit.

Or maybe we take a mouthful of non-potable water, then hold our heads over the fire until the water is boiled, then spit it into the bottles? That way it might be easier to prevent spillage.

Or put it in one of the hundreds of old cans we have laying about to boil it? ;)

Boiling will kill any bacteria in the can if it has spoiled. The problem is any toxins that the bacteria have already produced will stay in the food and make you sick.

I've always figured that we're simply heating the canned food not boiling it.  There's a reasony why a lot of packaged food is lousy with "must reach 120 degrees (F)" and that is because people get impatient and eat the food as soon as its warm.  Hey presto! Food poisoning if the conditions are right.  For botulinum the magic temp is 170 F or 80 C

Archived