Clothing quality preview ?

Nyarlathotep

In light of clothing repair equipment being a finite resource in the game, Does anyone else think it would be useful to have some sort of indication as to whether certain types of clothing are worth repairing over others?

With so many new items of clothing in the game, when i look at a bunch of clothing in various states of disrepair, there isn't much in the way of information at hand [aside from a wiki search if I'm lucky] to help me with making the best decision between keeping the 90% item I'm currently wearing over spending precious time and resources to repair the 20% item i just found, to replace it.

Whilst I can appreciate that in some aspects, this makes the decision a little less number-y and a little more organic, but there are already a bunch of number-y stats on the screen, so its hard to pretend its not about numbers. In R/L i would have many more things aside from a picture and numbers to use at my disposal to base my decision on though. [not that im dissing the numbers entirely]

The game knows what is the most useful and useless clothing in the DB, and it can probably compare every facet of each item of clothing, and throw back some nice text to steer away from the numbers without too much trouble.

My suggestion is some sort of mechanic where you can easily and instantly appraise the current qualities of the item of clothing you have selected vs the current qualities of what you are wearing, and instead of numbers it could be text, mentioning something along the lines of 'Even though your current parka is in a slight state of disrepair, In its current state, the 'expedition jacket' you are looking at is currently no warmer/waterproof etc.. than the 'parka' you are wearing, but with your experience, you think that with a little [or a lot of] work, it would far surpass the thermal and waterproof properties of it, even if your parka was fully repaired' etc...

Various parts of the text could relate to the items strengths and weaknesses in comparison to what you are wearing, perhaps there could even be room for a sort of appraisal skill which reveals more, or gives you more accurate results etc.

I feel like the current descriptions already help with that. Beyond that, I just do the math. By which I mean, when you look at a piece of clothing, you can infer its fully repaired stats from it's condition and current stats. Example (made up numbers, as I don't remember the real ones off the top of my head):

You have an urban parka, at 72%. It provides you 1.1 degree of wind protection, and 1.4 of warmth. 

You then find an expedition parka, at 27%. It provides 0.8 degrees of each. 

If you're reasonably comfortable with math, you can look at that and estimate that your urban parka maxes out at 1.5/2.0, and the expedition parka maxes at 3.0/3.0. (The estimation is made easier by knowing that you're always ending up with an answer in half degrees). If you aren't comfortable with that kind of estimation, you can use a calculator to divide the bonus by the condition. So 0.8/0.27 ~ 3.0, after rounding. But after you've done it a few times, you'll probably find it easy to do the math in your head anyway. 

Archived