Summary of wanted features

WillDakenzie2000

I believe anyone with an idea should put it here ,this could be the suggestion box compressed so that the developers don have to tak a long time to find things that they are looking to implement, I will add what I have seen and liked later as well as put the most approved ideas up in a final page. So please, put your polethora of ideas here to be compressed into a list comprehendable for the great developers at Hinterland studios here. The ideas that I believe In most are dogs, making some old and some young, the young would be easier trained and healthier all around but slower and less helpful while very old would not learn as easy and would need to be tamed,the classes would be hunter to help retrieve killed animals "game", scavenger to point out loot and food, defender for keeping you safe from bears & wolves, and traveller wgich are a special type only for the promised huge map in place of a car the idea would be that electricity only works during certain hours and are not as safe but. are faster and have good features, Alaskan malamutes & Siberian huskies as the traveller, golden retriever then beagle then Irish setter as hunter dogs from worst to best,and street mutts in abandoned city areas for scavengers, the defenders would be the german shepard, Rottweiler, Doberman pinscher, bullmastiff, Kuvasz, and the Chow, the rank is the same as the hunters and the rest, the chow will intimidate every animal while the others will need to go into combat and you can train each, another thing would be to have abandoned cities workinhg cars that need gas and maintenance, and enclaves at the top of the promised huge map,it can have lots of trading markets and you can live there in the end. Ialso think more complex things can be done to crafting like making riflerounds as well as having club and blade weapons, I personally would like to see a revolver shotgun handgun and scopes added each thing you would have to find in rewpect to the scope abut could be attached rarely and id like to see npc's and maybe even small servers for a handful of people in a multiplayer setup. Now go on and tell me your ideas...

If dogs were added to the game, I sincerely hope that they would also implement a way to opt out their inclusion according to each players taste.

Also i find this game breathes something really fresh into the genre in regards to its lack of firearm choices. And I wholeheartedly applaud each and every one of the developers at hinterland for rising to [and overcoming] the challenge of providing extremely challenging, and compelling gameplay without resorting to the whole 'more guns' thing.

As far as multiplayer servers, how exactly is that going to be implemented ? Do you mean a persistent server that you jump on to whenever you desire, or more like a peer to peer multiplayer where you and a buddy can create a game and jump into together?

I cant really see the former working, as the whole scavenging thing completely breaks, as all the good stuff disappears so fast, leaving any latecomers with nothing but the clothes on their back and completely gutted location everywhere they go. And if a respawn mechanic was in place to try to alleviate this, it then just removes the whole 'loot is precious' and replaces it with 'loot is abundant if you hang out in these locations'

I was thinking in regards to your statement about multiplayer, online servers made for up to 15-20 people an loot would respaw however it would only respawn in a region as big as the one promised, they spoke of massive areas which i'd love to see have small abandoned towns with like 3 scavengers hanging around (NPC) that will either attack, steal talk peacefully or team up with you, and large condensed cities with oots of metal and small pockets of well hidden loot, and then huge expanses of wilderness, and this is the only area that respawns,also it will be made completely impossible to wait for it to respawn,it will take more than a week or two before it respawns loot. I also see there being more than one gun not for base thrill of guns but for fullness, you don't just have one option in clothes or animal to hunt or direction to move in you have multiple. so I would like to see a scope, and a crossbow, a compound bow, a shotgun, a revolver, and a hand gun. I would also love to see an enclave where you could trade for goods and be able to live in for an ending to story and a base of operations as a destination to reach in sandbox. Do you see my idea as doable?

No no no no no

Never should Long Dark have any kind of multiplayer aspect to it whatsoever. Its completely different from an AI survivor style that we would get in Story Mode, as multiplayer would kill the purpose of the game. I would hate to have a Minecraft like experience for multiplayer. 

I'm not trying to belittle you, but it is really not a good idea...

1 hour ago, WillDakenzie2000 said:

As I said before in no nations forum I want to donate enough to get as much wishlist items and hopefully all of them and I think that finances are the only thing holding them back.

The choice not to include multiplayer in our roadmap isn't a financial one. Whenever possible, we base our design decisions on how something contributes to our vision of the game, versus financial or time constraints.

The idea is interesting, and we understand why players suggest it, but we also feel that we should prioritize elements that contribute most strongly to the kind of experience we want survivors to have. This isn't saying players shouldn't share their thoughts about multiplayer in The Long Dark. Again, it's interesting to think about, but I wanted to make our current position on the subject known. 

Thank you all for your stance on this, but can anyone get past the multiplayer now, I feel this section if a bit fixated now on something I had no intention of using as a focal point, I was throwing it out there and retract it now for the most part as not the best idea and certainly not for the long dark if no one wants it. How about the Dogs idea or the enclave where you can buy and sell in a market you can go hunting and come back to it and sell the meat and hide, and also buy things, how about the idea of more in-depth crafting and more things to craft, and more weapons, not for bulk but for diversity, a revolver, handgun, shotgun, crossbow and compound bow would fit in comfortably in this game, and NPC's would be good to survive with talk to have fights with and steal from, which in turn you have to watch out for as well, there should be scavenging survivors who are friendly, crazy (dangerous/not dangerous) who will steal or talk to you or attack you, and roving hunter NPC's who could be friendly or kill you or steal from you, and enslavers who are market owners and survival groups who you can join. I was also thinking of there being condensed cities with pockets of good and moderate loot but hard to find and most condensed but still sparse NPC's then small towns and huge wilderness areas, Because I heard of there being an extremely massive map eventually being made, and I think respawning can be done, but after very long periods of time between cities and towns, so you can't camp and wait for more goodies so it's still survival and not taking it easy. I want to see those cars and sleds and scopes for rifles hopefully. hope you guys at hinterland and all the rest can focus on this stuff too. And PLEASE add your own stuff too, I want to make this a summary page to help out the guys at hinterland to make a sorted and filed, organized list after a while of suggestions.:)

Mate, I've read your fantastic post several times and I genuinely can't tell if you're being serious. Just to recap, the game is set in the beautiful Canadian wilderness after a geomagnetic storm brought your plane down, it isn't set in post-apocalyptic Max Max territory. I've visited Canada three times in my life and I can honestly say that the people are among the friendliest on earth. I'd like to think that following a disaster the population wouldn't instantly turn into crazy, shotgun-crafting, attack-dog-training, thieving, murdering enslavers who'd sell me for two granola bars and a can of hot peaches.

I do think your ideas sound awesome for a game but they're probably not what the devs are envisioning for The long Dark. I could be wrong though. For all I know they're in a meeting right now high-fiving a suggestion to syphon fuel from cars to make molotovs, or crafting a special saddle so you can ride bears.

not like mad max but not like hey hows it going nice of you to stop by have some peaches fella:0 there needs to be a survival struggle and people need to lose humanity and some need to cling to it to have a good feel that life has changed dramatically. There will be emotion in them too and they will have a side to sympathize with and some will not and have gone rogue and crazy. Also i didn't say en"slavers" i said enclavers, people in a group, like a small village who band together and survive, I want them to have a market so you can get goods and hopefully have a place so survive with others, where the majority of NPC's will be hopefully. They will be the alternative to respawning items if the developers don't like the idea of respawning in one very large map only and so that you can't just camp out and wait for items but have to keep moving from town to town to get items and survive. I don't think its going in the mad max direction either because that was over the top ridiculous apocalypse, this is more artistic beautiful, artful made look on realistic survival in an apocalypse.

Archived