Interloper - What am I doing wrong?

FO4Builder

Hey Folks,

Ever since I tried and bought TLD I have only played on interloper mode. I have read the guide and im currently on my 118th attempt. (sucker for punishment) Problem is I dont seem to be getting anywhere despite gaining knowledge about the maps ect? First off let me list what I do...and lets say im starting in PV and my starting location is the waterfall close to three strikes.

1, Ill head to PV Farmstead and grab the supplies and the most important 12 matches. Along the way ill pick up all sticks/shrooms and rose.

2, My next stop is PV Outbuildings, Ill grab whats available and light up a fire to get myself warmed up while making some water and getting some hot food in my belly.

3, The next stage of my trip takes me to Rural Crossroads, Ill get myself warmed, rested, watered and fed before heading off to Cinder Hills heading for CH.

Now everything is going great at this point and ill hit CH with fuel for fire, some food and water. But here is were it all goes tits up. When I get to CH ill be stuck, frostbite sets in and food is low. Along the way ill either find a hammer to smash open the ice fishing holes but no mats to fish or ill find cured gut and hook but no tool to open the holes. I harvest a carcass but as you know it takes 5 days to cure. I cant seem to find a way out of this scenario.

Same goes for other start points, Ill find Tool but no supplies or supplies and no tool.

What am I missing lol

I've only attempted Interloper about 8 times, and  2 or 3 of those I didn't even make it 24 hrs due to extremely bad conditions. My longest run so far has been 11 days, but I have gotten decent at getting to the forge and making tools... it's getting back through CH that has been my downfall... I did starve once, but otherwise it's been those darn wolves.

Anyway, in PV, I always make sure to hit the radio control hut. It has, thus far, always yielded a couple of additional clothing and food items. Plus, there's some OMB up there. I've also had luck with finding a sewing kit somewhere along the way and patching up the clothes I have to get the best possible use from them.

This was all before FM was added, so maybe you want to try going that way instead. Maybe ML will be a bit more forgiving and you can always go the long way around to avoid Fluffy.  :shrug:

Learn to conserve calories I guess.  Your belly only need be full while you are also warm and rested and hydrated to gain health.  Otherwise, the loss it adds is negligible.  And don't be afraid to use mushrooms and rose hips for food when you need it.  A meal is a meal.  

If that's not enough, many more calories are available from wild sources if you go looking for them, but they are not always near to the houses.  Cattails, most conspicuously.

And don't be afraid to use mushrooms and rose hips for food when you need it.  A meal is a meal.  

Dafuq? They can be eaten? I am on day 40+ on my actualy Interlooper run, so i thin i really do understand the basics .... but i did not know that.

IL is the only really challenging mode imo. Rest is too forgiving. But i REALLY do like it. You have to follow the rules. Dont get cocky. Dont do something stupid.

59 minutes ago, Casazzo said:

And don't be afraid to use mushrooms and rose hips for food when you need it.  A meal is a meal.  

Dafuq? They can be eaten?

Not eaten directly, but brewed as tea, which give 100 calories as food, plus hydration and warmth. They can be pretty valuable early game. (though cat tails should be your go-to calories in the first few days)

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/17/2017 at 1:25 AM, FO4Builder said:

What am I missing lol

Well, Interloper is very punishing and you need an extreme amount of luck to make it till you can make your first fishing equipments. From that on,it gets a bit easier, after around day 40-60 comes the nearly permanent blizzard/snowstorm, when you think it twice to make a bigger journey (e.g. to another region). I made some 30 runs, and made only 3times to reach my "30th day" birthday :-)

The first few days of an interloper sandbox, I actually shoot for the forge in FM rather than DP.  The distance between shelters is perfect to have a safe early game, and there are plenty of deer carcasses to get a head start on guts and hide.  I don't think I've had an interloper run yet where I have failed to find a magnifying glass and/or fire striker in Mystery Lake.

I'd definately hit the signal hut and the pensive pond (riskier).  I've had good luck in both places on my interloper games.  Signal hut had a sewing kit and a few other bits, moss and rosehips, and pensive pond had some cattails, mushrooms and rose hips.  I've lucked out on the deer on the way to signal hut twice, so had fishing line by the time I hit the pond.  Hunter's blind is risky, but there's resources there too and bunnies.  

First thing I'm not sure why you're playing in interloper first. Are you sure you want to learn the maps like this? The game is quite big at the moment, learning everything in interloper will make everything even longer. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, maybe it can be satisfying but you'll be able to explore at relative ease only on the first weeks. Then the weather gets too nasty. And in the first weeks is better to stick with a clean arrow path for locations that you choose. So I'm not sure about your decision.

Anyway:

1) Starve your character. You'll loose little condition that you can regain if you eat only before sleeping (always 10h, 1-2 only in order to warm up).

2) Learn the location of the deer carcasses. There's enough food in those to keep you alive for a long time and you'll have the fishing tackle ready by then.

3) Check interiors carefully, you can find stuff under things or generally hidden.

4) Take the cattails in a the two spots in PV that are on the path to CH and in CH aswell. I'm not saying where :)

Have fun! The game is wonderfull.

On 02/13/2017 at 10:35 AM, panic4u said:

Go via CH if you can't wrangle dam fluffy

I got an intentional encounter with fluffy in the upper dam (wanted to loot lower dam). I was 100% and equipped with a forged knife and after the fight I left with 25% condition. So carefully with the wolf fights! :D

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing I haven't heard any of you talk about is coal. Coal from the mines is "ABSOLUTELY INVALUABLE" in the first week or two of interloper, and truthfully, throughout your entire interloper run! It allows you to thaw out and harvest carcasses, ice fish for long periods, and unlike limbs, you can gather it without the risk of freezing!! 1 mine can provide you enough coal for 30 hours or more of hot fire!!

Save your food and try to keep your condition above 70%. Then before sleeping, eat at least 600 calories, drink water til full and sleep for 8 hours to get back to near 100% condition.

Always try to be fully exhausted before you go to sleep!! That way, you get the full condition recovery by sleeping 8 hours! If you aren't fully exhausted, go out and run around your house, cave, or where ever you are going to sleep until you are exhausted. There's nothing worse than waking up at 3AM fully rested and twittling your thumbs for 5 hours waiting for daylight!!

Don't sleep longer than 8 hours at a time. You get dehydrated at 8 hours so sleeping for example 10 hours in 1 sleep will actually make you lose condition in those last 2 hours!

Never travel in the mornings! (unless it's a short distance to travel) That's the coldest time of the day. Find stuff to do to keep you busy until noon or so, then travel!

Always check around, near, and under all work benches for possible hacksaws and hammers!

Good Luck!!! ;)

Archived