Infinite Light Bug

SlackAssassin

I've encountered a bug in my current play-through of The Long Dark. This bug allows me to create an unending light source from a match, and I have managed to duplicate it by accident. Since I don't actively try to exploit the bug, I've only tried reproducing it twice, both times with success. The bug occurs when I try to light a match immediately after the match in my hands has burned out. To be more specific, the match in my hands undergoes the animation of burning out, at which point I immediately equip a new match from the inventory screen. The match I tried to equip disappears, and my hands fall back to my sides. However, there is still a source of light coming from slightly behind me, and it persists with no apparent burnout, even in windy weather or transition from instance to instance. The only way I've found to get rid of the light (because I find it immersion-breaking and I'm pretty sure I'll be spotted at night by predators) is to close the game and re-open it. This has fixed the issue on every occasion. I have attached a screenshot of me holding a storm lantern. You can see the god-match (as I call it) lodged in my hand.

I also noticed that I cannot read, repair or do any other action that requires a source of light. I can still do these actions by fire light or by daylight, just not using the god-match. It would seem that the match only provides the radiant benefit of light, but none of the other benefits. It might also be worth noting that I've only tried this bug using cardboard matches, not wooden ones. I also can't equip a new match after the god-match has been created.

- SlackAssassin

305620_20170116180141_1.png

Archived