How do you manage your character?

farce713

First i want to say this game is awesome, i played around 60 hours now and have the feeling that was just the beginning..

Now I have a few questions...

What do you take with you on a trip across the map? What do you take with you when you change maps?

What is essential and never leaves your backpack?

How much food do you take with you? Do you use fresh meat or cans? How much medicine do you take with you on a trip?

Do you change clothes depending on the temperature?

Do you prefer warmth rating or being able to sprint more?

Do you use the Starvation method?

If not, how much food do you need? Do you think its too much?

How important are good stats in case of a wolf fight (hungry/tired/parched/overencumbered)?

What is the best decoy for wolves?

What is your method to prevent the wolf fight?

Probably there are thousands of other things i would like to know but i guess this is enough for the moment :)

3 hours ago, farce713 said:

First i want to say this game is awesome, i played around 60 hours now and have the feeling that was just the beginning..

Now I have a few questions...

What do you take with you on a trip across the map? What do you take with you when you change maps?

How much food do you take with you? Do you use fresh meat or cans? How much medicine do you take with you on a trip?

How important are good stats in case of a wolf fight (hungry/tired/parched/overencumbered)?

Probably there are thousands of other things i would like to know but i guess this is enough for the moment :)

Best answer it just play it and find your own solutions :) that is what makes it more fun and saves us filling in your school quiz :) saying that im sure you will get plenty of replys to your questions.

uh oh, i dont wanted to sound like a teacher ;) maybe it sounds not that nice because i am no native english speaker.. sorry for that.

i am just curios how different people have different solutions and different playstyles..

and as i said, i got the game a week ago and have already 60 hours, so i do play alot ;)  but i would like to talk to other people about it, i mean that is what this forum is for or not?

you dont have to answer my questions but if anyone has interest in charing his/her opinions i would be very thankful :)

have a nice day i will continue playing TLD :)

no worries and welcome.

here is what i thought.

Some food and water, good clothing, and knife or axe. can always find more on other maps,

When i get them, axe / knife and Water / Ration Food / matches

Depends on game mode, but yeah more you can carry will make it easier.

Not really, once I have decent clothing I usually stick with that setup.

Warmth usually, weather can change pretty quick, can always walk warm.

No what does this do?

maybe but I am sure HT are balancing issues all the time.

How important are good stats in case of a wolf fight (hungry/tired/parched/overencumbered)?

I don't think there are not just have a weapon / knife.

you or just an old stinky animal food your harvested that cant be eaten.

avoid or run find cover

nice ;)

the starvation method may have a different name, im pretty unsure about it, was it called hibernation? i dont know

its when you dont eat the whole day and lose condition then before you sleep you fill up your calories for sleep to regain the condition again.

i tried it the first days when i started my last sandbox but i found out that its nearly impossible to fright off wolves with flares when your stats are in the red.

i also noticed that different wolves have different levels of aggresion? is this true or do i imagine this?

i do also prefer a high warmth rating and i never bothered with taking off my clothes to sleep or in front off a fire and it was a nice suprise when i found out that you can sweat in your clothing. all these small details are so amazing in this game :)

i usually carry around a lot of stuff that i likely dont need like 2 torches and a stormlantern at the same time..

and then i cry about carry weight..

i really need to sort things out :)

yesterday i realised i dont need antiseptic if i have old mans beard bandages so that was a step forward :)

edit: about the decoys: i used the hotkey for that and i dropped guts most of the time so they smell a lot i guess. two times it worked incredibly good, the wolf took the gut and walked away in peace, that was damn nice!

another time i dropped two guts and the wolf did not even took a glimpse, maybe he was already in confrontation mode, i dont know.

i must confess i dont like the wolf fighting system at all, i mean the close fighting with hitting lmb like mad.

the others tactics are nice but i would be great if we could keep them a little bit more on distance i think..

Hibernation yeah they fixed that by making it you need to get tired / need to sleep, and can pass time when not tired. so cool.

You soon learn what you need to carry and what you do not. The more you get to know maps I guess the less gear you need to carry around.

fighting off a wolf without a weapon is pointless.... you need to use fire. plenty of ways to do that without spoiling it for you.

the knife or some weapon is a must eventually. hacksaw/axe help a lot though I like the hacksaw most since it opens containers (but not lockers....seems like prybar and hacksaw should open both)

food depends where I am going and why as well as what I have available. If I know what I have where I am going too. I might travel with no food at all and just tank up before going. Like if I am going from ML to CH, I can make a few good cups of tea to drink or coffee, eat cattails if I have to.

Starvation mechanic I don't use that. Mainly because my assumption is eventually the Devs will counter punch with some seriously negative effects and I will have to redefine my play style. So I choose not to exploit it. Besides that girls character whines a ton already!!! lol

In the early days of a game I get my bearings on what is around, try to get to or set up a base of sorts, then make a plan to either stay there or move to a better one. most of it is based on whether or not I have a bow and arrows or if I can craft them quickly. Generally each sandbox for me is a random start (adds to the excitement for me)

7 hours ago, farce713 said:

Only matches and a flare never travel without that minimum. I never carry wood except to drop it off when I arrive since I always gather it on the run.

I like to have cattail roots for food and they keep indefinitely. If moving maps, I bring the lightest foods, not the heavy cans or meat although seldom is there much spare meat. I will bring guts if I have some and hides too if moving. I always bring all my tools when I move such as all axes and knives and weapons. Moving can be slow. Don't carry too much water; you can always get more. I try to leave as much stuff at base as possible. I prefer to carry guts not snares since it's lighter. I also bring cloth since that is essential for shelter building and clothing repairs but its best to repair all clothing to 100% before setting out and travel midday if possible.

I don't like to sprint so avoiding the wolves is essential. This isn't too hard once you learn their haunts. I seldom carry extra clothing but with the new system, I would probably carry only what I can wear. Save your fur clothing for bitter weather and dress lightly if the weather permits; being able to haul meat, fish, hides or wood is important so I try to plan my trips for only one purpose and then only carry what is essential for that expedition.

For short trips, it is best to dress lightly. For fishing expedition, you probably want the best clothing you can get. I only bring the bed roll if I'm going fishing, otherwise it stays where I need it, perhaps in a nearby fishing hut or a cave I need to use as a base. If I am bear hunting, I want that bed roll so I have a place to sleep near the bear since harvesting is a long thing.

With plenty of sticks, it is seldom necessary to carry an ax however if your knife is low condition, use the ax instead to save the knife. Knives are essential for fighting the wolves. On the lower difficulties, a wolf battle is no big deal but very hard on the clothing. If you remove clothing before a wolf fight, you save your clothes but risk your skin and injuries. No big deal because it is usually easy to recover condition after a wolf fight if you have bandages and oldmans beard dressing.

I leave mushrooms at the base for recovery from food poisoning. No need to carry them, they are heavy and even heavier once made into tea. It is better to carry pills since it is lighter.

I like to boil up a lot of water at once and then only carry one litre at a time on short trips. You don't need much water for a day however it depends on the difficulty level.

Raw guts seem to be the best wolf decoy. Check the long dark wikia for all the statistics. The knife is the best weapon for wolf fights.

Hacksaw is very handy for butchering meat and I believe it can be repaired using the tool kit unlike knife or ax which require the whetstone.

Try to think about carrying the least possible because when you return home, you will be loaded with either fish, meat or wood. Never all three at once. Leave the wood at the fishing hut or near your stove. Don't pack out wood  unless you are setting up for a bear hunt and you will need fire. Bring lots of wood for fishing and stock pile it there.

I consider starvation to be ill advised under normal conditions. I prefer to travel with a fully belly since it is better than packing the weight of food. Personally I don't like starvation technique; it is not realistic and kind of cheating however you cannot survive Interloper without this trick. Perhaps this will be changed in future; IDK.

The best wolf strategy is to avoid them; as the game has progressed in development, wolves seem to be more on the hunt and you must know their haunts.

Watch the Graxter for more excellent strategies and GELtaz is another great player with lots of tricks and tons of how-to videos. There are abundant videos out there on The Long Dark. You can learn from any of them however it can be frustrating to watch inexperienced players especially the famous gamers who don't play the game much. I won't name any names. The best players will leave a link to their videos here in the Video section.

You may find the online maps to be useful or you can watch videos. The purists prefer to play the game without tips or spoilers; it's up to you which you prefer. Since you are asking for tips, I assume you want to get advice.

Good luck and don't worry about dying; you will probably die several times before learning the maps and the weather. You must explore in order to learn the landmarks and the trails. There are often fallen trees to mark the important places on a trail and soon you will recognize the lay of the land enough to know where you are at. Navigating during storms is something you must do if starving but otherwise avoid it. It is slow and very hard on the clothing. I prefer to work from a base or two however many folks roam a lot and plunder loot. You can leave loot for emergencies; there is no need to carry too much stuff. It will slow you down and make the game play slow.

Steve

Archived