Do the bears follow you if they see you/hear you?

thekillergreece

No, shooting doesn't attract wolves. It can actually scare them off, if they're not already agro'd on you.

That bears will follow you is actually to you're advantage in hunting one, as you can lead it to a place where you can shoot it without fear of being mauled in return.

• 3 months later...
On 1/16/2017 at 8:13 PM, selfless said:

They are also attracted to gunshots, strangely enough.

Apparently Grizzlies in BC and Alaska have come to associate gunfire with food, much to the dismay of hunters busy gutting their kill...

A friend of mine in BC says that they always have one guy stand guard now when they have bagged something.

1 hour ago, Pasquinel said:

Not sure if many know this but you can actually climb a few trees in certain places. These make great tree stands for shooting bears from without getting mauled.

Can you climb certain trees? This is new to me... Could you tell me where those are? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Baukster77 said:

Can you climb certain trees? This is new to me... Could you tell me where those are? Thanks!

Typically these trees are felled, and sloped upwards slightly, like the tree at Crystal lake in Timberwolf mountain, or the tree leading into the rail car at the derailment in Mystery lake

4 hours ago, Baukster77 said:

1 hour ago, Vulp said:

Typically these trees are felled, and sloped upwards slightly, like the tree at Crystal lake in Timberwolf mountain, or the tree leading into the rail car at the derailment in Mystery lake

There's a great example over at the Unnamed Pond in Mystery Lake. There's almost always a bear around, and there's a tree leaning out low over the ice that's perfect for clambering up and blasting away with impunity. 

Not all climbable trees are dramatic leaners, either.  If you think you see a good candidate, walk up to the base and "press" into it with the "w" key.  You'll quickly stop creeping up the tiny ground-level slope. When this happens, start "waggling" your character back and forth, left and right in short-ish strokes.  On some trees, particularly the dead ones for some reason, you'll start shimmying up!  It feels like a magic trick the first time you get it to work. 

Did you ever descend a cliff face using broad, shallow paths where you seem to "stick" to the boulders even when there isn't much footing?  It seems to be the same movement code.  Just, be careful getting back down.

There's a tree by the trappers cabin that over looks the basin towards the barn and the clearing where the bear cave is. You can climb that one too and pick off the bear if he's ambling about the area. You just have to wait for him to come into range.

Other trees can be clumb by stepping off rocks or cliffs onto them, even if they are almost vertical. Just proceed carefully not to get caught "out on a limb" you can't climb back on. Sometimes the branches get in the way and you can fall off.

Archived