Camping pictures

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2017 at 9:46 PM, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

Thanks, yeah it's unique for sure, it's been in the family for quite a while too. That truck has been up and down most of the logging roads in western washington state! 

The torch isn't nearly as close to the fire as it looks in the pic, but yeah it's not pretty when those go boom!

Sam

Cutting torch gives you 100% chance to start a fire, I bet. Nice pic and yes, that truck has a lot of character. I'd guess you have some stories! :)

On 2/7/2017 at 3:21 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

Cutting torch gives you 100% chance to start a fire, I bet. Nice pic and yes, that truck has a lot of character. I'd guess you have some stories! :)

Thanks! Oh yeah, cutting torch gives you 110% chance of starting a fire! Fun fact: When cutting steel with a torch, the steel gets superheated and then oxidized, in other words it gets burnt! That tripped me out when i first learned that.

There are stories about that truck for sure, it was grandfather's mountain beater for a lot of years . My favorite story is from one of the last times he used it, him and a buddy were way up on some lonely old logging road miles from anywhere, it got dark, they decided to just park and camp for the night. They rolled out their bivy sacks in front of the truck and fell asleep. One thing about old rigs is the electrical system can sometimes be a bit wacky, this rig especially... And at some wee hour of the morning the truck's horn randomly went off! Grandpa's first though was that they had parked on the RR tracks and were a bout to get run over by a train; needless to say both of them set records for the 3 yard bivy sack lunge!

About 7 years ago when I started reviving the truck I also experienced the random honking horn, I hit a speed bump and that triggered it. The culprit all along was the horn relay, I replaced it but I've still got the original one hanging around here somewhere as a momento. 

@cekivi Where do you ice fish? Looks like a nice spot

Sam

@Rusty_Old_F250: It's a stocked lake (speckle trout) about a 30 minute walk from my childhood house. The weather was too poor this year for me to actually go out fishing this year when I went home for Christmas. I think that's the first time I've missed a winter fishing trip in a good 4-5 years :/

It's not a very big lake but it's deep with clear water. Well, clear-ish. The water's yellow from iron leaching in from the rocks. There's actually the remnants of a dam on the lake from when the region was clear cut as part of the pre-mechanized logging boom in the area.

• 2 months later...

Archived