Jumping

USMC 1st FR Jgb

So been playing game since release on the Xbox One and I've always wanted a jump button. I would of thought they would add it by now. Would of saved my life a couple times getting stuck on a side of a ledge and falling to my death because I can't get up a foot tall drop off. Please PLEASE add a jump button. Make X the jump button for the Xbox. The X Button has no purpose.

I would personally avoid jumping while on the snow/frozen ground, while wearing heavy clothes and 30kg on my back :), not to mention that... how often do you jump irl to leap over obstacles? I think that a mantle function would serve the same function while being more believable.

But I guess that another problem about jumping/mantling is the maps: right now they're handcrafted in a certain way, but adding jumping/mantling would mean that the character could reach areas that right now are inaccessible, creating a lot of problems. All the maps boundaries would have to be overhauled to prevent the character from going where he shouldn't go and ending up glitching into the infinite void beyond the map. :P

I take it neither of you 2 have gotten stuck on a little ledge clip. For example I was on the side of a rock formation getting ready to kill a wolf. I shoot it, turn around to go clam my kill, and there is really a little lip from the black rock I was standing on to the blue rock layered on top of it. Not even a foot drop and I couldn't get up it even though I walked down it. So I had to drop off ended up spraining my ankle. If they do add a jump button I'm sure they already no matter what have parts of the map with invisible boundaries that prevents you from getting to far. Plus I'm not talking about jumping or climbing up rocks that's what the rope spots are for. I live in a snowy part of the world in real life and I do jump well "mantel" over small fences while cutting yards and guard rails if they are in the way of my destination. I may not be weighed down but still even solders mantel over objects wearing over 80 pounds of equipment. And yes I would think mantling would be better. I just hate getting stuck on little ledges that they put in the game. Kinda like the office cabin right next to mystery lake there is a little ledge right next to the sign anybody could just walk right up to and get on it but it stops you. Oh and if they add a jump function they could have to go by weight if your over encumbered you can't jump, or even if you have a bunch of gear you can't jump to high you know. Even if you're not weighed down that much you still won't beable to just jump on anything have somethings unclimbable. I'm not too sure what your thinking about jumping and glitching out of but I've been in a lot of the nooks and crannies and by the invisible borders and haven't seen places that seem of interest for me to be like gosh I wish I can jump up this 4ft rock and keep climbing up there even though I'm sure I'm bordered up. Plus I'm only talking about making the jump only like a foot jump something realistic. They don't have to add it to where you can grab a ledge and pull yourself up you know. Just something simple. That's just me though. My opinion.

The game requires that you learn to recognize when you have gotten somewhere you cannot get out of. Yeah its a PITA but heights are higher than what they appear (somehow). You can jump down or crawl down. The latter is preferred. You can often find a way up if you are persistent and move back and forth. I don't want or need a jump function; the game has been designed without it. It would change a lot if added but then if they decide its important, I can live with it. You should make a poll to solicit user feedback; be sure to identify [POLL] in the subject title to make them easier to find. You can find other polls by searching. A lot have been over come by events as features have been added. You can see the commonly requested items/features in the polls since I made a concerted effort to list them. Hinterland also has a roadmap with planned features and there is a poll for that as well to express your preferences. Hinterland is very responsive to user feedback and I hope they will continue to provide more great stuff especially (in my opinion) more wild life and more variety of behaviour of wild life. This is what makes the game interesting and challenging. Some old timers stopped playing when they felt they had mastered everything however the recent changes in animal behaviour have significantly altered the game. Old tricks no longer work too! The bear is much more difficult to hunt now.

I have found myself a number of times looking at a very small ridge in a rock or lump of snow etc, that i cannot get over, and have found it a little frustrating.

Whilst i agree with the people that say jumping in the snow with 30kg on your back etc, is not something you would be making a habit of doing, Having done much hiking, I also know that you do what you need to do to make camp that evening. If that means taking off the pack and throwing it on the ledge above you, climbing up after it... you do it.

To make this work, perhaps the idea of a 'jump button' could actually pass, if it was implemented as being more like a large step. Its not as silly as jumping about like a frog whilst lugging a pack full of heavy gear, but it also allows you to traverse slightly more challenging terrain if the need arises, and it could certainly open up avenues of penalties, ie: extra cost on your stamina and potentially some accelerated wear on certain articles of clothing etc...

On 1/16/2017 at 6:13 AM, Kaisentlaia said:

But I guess that another problem about jumping/mantling is the maps: right now they're handcrafted in a certain way, but adding jumping/mantling would mean that the character could reach areas that right now are inaccessible, creating a lot of problems. All the maps boundaries would have to be overhauled to prevent the character from going where he shouldn't go and ending up glitching into the infinite void beyond the map. :P

I've already stood at map boundaries and stared into the abyss. They are easier to reach on some maps than others. 
The new frozen swampy area (I forget what it's called) I got to a map boundary without even trying, I was just exploring and suddenly there was no more world in front of me.

@Nyarlathotepyea I have been using jump out of context. I do mean like a climb up feature but only to a certain extent. Like if the ledge is to high or above your head, even shoulder level you shouldn't be able to do it maybe like waist height would be perfect and reasonable. Also I think the stamina should get drained a little bit like rope climbing. Just depends on how much your pack weighs at the time. I might just start a poll like somebody was saying. Also I do think the game is great as it is and if they decide to never implement a ledge climbing or jump feature I still will play the game cuz it's awesome and fun. If anything I hope they smooth out a lot of the cliff ledges so that you don't get stuck and fall to your death.

I totally don't agree with a jump at all-- it's just not realistic or practical, really. However, I strongly agree about the ability to mantle to a small degree. There are places where it's too easy to become stuck on the map simple because you can't slowly vault over something that, in the real world, you could easily do, even with a 60 pound pack on you. You should be able to go over logs, over snowbanks (not being able to cross a snowy barrier is doubly frustrating), and certainly up small ledges of rocks. I don't expect full-on climbing, but there are some places in the map where you can literally become trapped without this feature and it makes no sense.

I like the idea of a jump button- really, I do. But as many other people said, jumping around in places you can't normally go can get you in big trouble. Now, with the idea of hoisting yourself up ledges, great idea. So many times have I wanted to get up on a normally inaccessible rock and snipe a bear, bug then again, if I do something wrong, I could end up falling into "the void" and losing any progress I have. It's a really edgy concept. The only real wisdom I can provide is that we can assume good old Willy Mackenzie doesn't parkour in his spare time, so not a whole lot of tricks would be up his so-to-speak sleeves.

On 1/17/2017 at 0:13 AM, Kaisentlaia said:

That's the point of bringing these little things up in Alpha, they have plenty of time to fix them.

Since they're going to add jump anyway it would be much better to start fixing the maps now than just before release

Archived