fps drop

butka

i'm experiencing serious fps drop on xbox one after 2-3 hours gameplaying. when i quit and restart the game, it is fixed but it is very annoying that i need to do it everytime. is there anyone experiencing the same problem?

On 1/16/2017 at 11:58 PM, Ape88 said:

Not that I've noticed. And I sometimes leave the game running for HOURS during the day. I will keep an eye out though...

Maybe makes sure your system isn't overheating?

my system is brand new and i don't think it's about overheating cuz i do not experience this kind of problem in the other games like gta or forza motorsport. it's about the long dark. 

1 hour ago, butka said:

my system is brand new and i don't think it's about overheating cuz i do not experience this kind of problem in the other games like gta or forza motorsport. it's about the long dark. 

Hmm, that's really weird. I mean, there was an issue a while back that did some funky stuff, where there would be flickering on the screen whenever I was near an animal or a carcass, but Hinterland fixed that ages ago.

Also, is that with the newest update? I'm still waiting for it to finish downloading the update on my machine (My internet is being very very slow.) so I wouldn't be able to test.

Im on the One S and im getting the exact same thing. I get to 3 hours or so playing and I need to shut the game down and relaunch due to severe drop in Frame Rate. However It only seems to happen when im on a single particular save/run. If I die and restart I do not get this at all.

17 hours ago, FO4Builder said:

Im on the One S and im getting the exact same thing. I get to 3 hours or so playing and I need to shut the game down and relaunch due to severe drop in Frame Rate. However It only seems to happen when im on a single particular save/run. If I die and restart I do not get this at all.

i'm on the One S too. today i change my TV screen settings as game mode and now it is better i think. but the frame rate still decreases after couple of hours gameplaying. also, i realized that when i click on the work bench especially at fishing camp in coastal highway, the fps drops like a crazy. another thing is the loading screen when i get into a house is very fast at the very beginning of the gameplay but it also slows down after 2-3 hours. these problems could be about background cache while playing the game for long hours. any ideas?

I've experienced this large drop in FPS twice over the past few weeks, and always near(ish) the same spot after a few hours play - the Abandoned Lookout in Coastal Highway. The first time I got this was immediately after the Resolute Outfitter update came out. I noticed the framerate dropping quite severely when I got to the CH Lookout. I saw there was a new rock to abseil down close by and wondered if that addidtion had anything to do with that. But walking up the steps and into the lookout cabin it felt like the FPS was halved.

Playing tonight, I started a new game in DP and spent a few hours (real time) there before moving onto CH. Got to Quonset Garage and spent an hour or so looting all the houses then decided to head up the zig-zag path above the Coastal Townsite. I got to Silent Clearing and noticed the FPS dropping as I harvested the mushrooms there, ie the moving white bar you get when harvesting had distinct stuttering. I then zig-zagged further up, went up a nearby rope to collect saplings, then along the path to the three small cabins (fourth is usually burnt out) that has a rope behind that goes up to ledge beneath the Abandoned Lookout. The fps drop may have been slight but barely noticeable. I looted the cabins then carried along path looking for a way up to the Lookout, which I eventually found. When I arrived at the Lookout the FPS dropped severely, again it felt halved. Climbing the steps and then into the cabin I decided to light a fire where upon the FPS was so bad it wasn't registering my first input to light the fire and required a second button press. I slept in the cabin, and the FPS still wasn't great when i woke up and climbed down the rope to the ledge. I decided to light a fire and have a nap on the ledge. Again I woke up with the FPS still bad so I quit to the main menu and reloaded the game. The FPS was instantly as smooth as silk and I played for 30 mins without any issues at all. 

I'm playing on an original XBox One. I've played many hours of TLD over the past year and never experienced this until the Resolute Outfitter update was released. Also, I haven't experienced this severe fps drop anywhere else.

One thing I forgot to mention was as I was walking down the road to the Abandoned Lookout I got jumped by a wolf. This fight was the most intense i've ever experienced in the game. I was hammering the button as fast as possible yet the rising white bar never went over one tenth of the length and, probably because of this, the fight went on much longer than usual. I defintely wasn't over encumbered or tired. When the fight finished there was a long pause of between 5-10 seconds before the save symbol appeared. I was left with 15% health, torn clothes and bleeding from TWO lacerations....quite a desperate situation. As I hurriedly made my way around the corner to the Abandoned Lookout (just before the fps REALLY dropped) I was thinking that it was awesome to have an odd wolf in the game that can attack so savagely, but now I'm wondering if the fight went on so long was because not all my button bashes were registering, like when i mentioned in my previous post when I had to tell the game twice to light the fire in the Lookout.

I've had this game on for about 5 hours tonight and the framerate has gone very choppy again, this time when I left the the forge in DP and remained choppy getting to the lighthouse, cooking food inside and going upstairs to sleep. I've shut the game down now. Not quite as bad as in CH last night but very noticeable.

18 hours ago, Karzee said:

I've had this game on for about 5 hours tonight and the framerate has gone very choppy again, this time when I left the the forge in DP and remained choppy getting to the lighthouse, cooking food inside and going upstairs to sleep. I've shut the game down now. Not quite as bad as in CH last night but very noticeable.

Also, loading screen is very slow, for instance, when I get into a house or go out from a house. Sometimes I wait for 10-15 seconds to load. I have the game on my Macbook Air too and loading screens are faster, they are passing immediately. Do you experience this problem?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2017 at 11:11 PM, Support said:

I've picked up a One S to look into this. What region are you playing in?

any progress on this issue? i really want to go on my interloper save but i haven't been playing the game for 2 weeks because of this low framerate problem. 

This is something we're still investigating, but in regards to Karzee: what you're describing sounds a lot like the game pausing when it saves. Are you noticing this happening mainly when spraining an ankle or when other events occuring, when you see this pause? This would explain the pause after the wolf struggle, and is expected as the system does need to pause so we can save the game.

Once thing I'd like to point out: The Xbox One load times will be longer then a Mac Book and the two shouldn't really be compared.

There's always been a short pause after getting a sprain or after a wolf attack while it saves the game, this I'm used to. The wolf attack I mentioned earlier was unlike any fight I've had before or since, in that me hammering the struggle button as fast I always do was barely registering, and immediately afterwards when the wolf ran off there was a much larger pause than usual before the saving symbol appeared. The FPS had definitely dropped a bit prior to, during, and immediately after the wolf attack, but when  I walked a further 30 yards down the road to the abandoned lookout the framerate then took a massive hit, as I described.

A further update: I've been playing this for long bouts of gaming sessions since I posted, focusing on areas ML, PV, TWM, and FM, and I have yet to notice any drop in framerate at all in these areas, nor fought any super strong wolves. It's all been smooth.

I will start a new Stalker game tomorrow and repeat the same actions in the same areas of DP and CH to see if the framerate drops again. If I experience anything worth reporting then I'll post a video of it in this thread.

I started a new Stalker game in DP and after three or four hours, staying in DP only the framerate really starts to take a hit.This was instantly resolved by saving then loading the save. After getting myself killed I started another new Stalker game in DP, and again staying in DP after 3 hours play (i'm on Day 11) the framerate again gets worse. In this clip i'm turning around a lot to how choppy it is, then I save/reload and you can see a big improvement.

5 hours ago, Karzee said:

I started a new Stalker game in DP and after three or four hours, staying in DP only the framerate really starts to take a hit.This was instantly resolved by saving then loading the save. After getting myself killed I started another new Stalker game in DP, and again staying in DP after 3 hours play (i'm on Day 11) the framerate again gets worse. In this clip i'm turning around a lot to how choppy it is, then I save/reload and you can see a big improvement.

that's what i'm talking about

On 12/02/2017 at 1:38 PM, Karzee said:

Getting the same thing myself.

Archived