use torch as tinder

wildethan

54 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

You already can use a torch as tinder.  Harvest it for the stick, then harvest that stick for 2 tinder.

Not really the same thing.

I agree: I'd like to see more cross-over with fuels and tinder, so you can get a fire lit by putting a match to a book, for example, then use another book to prolong it. Or bung a bunch of tinder on a lit fire to keep it going a bit (a very small bit per tinder) longer. Or, indeed, put a lit torch down as a start, then add fuel to it to make a proper fire.

2 hours ago, Pillock said:

Or, indeed, put a lit torch down as a start, then add fuel to it to make a proper fire.

Can't we do this already too? :P

Improved firebuilding was on the roadmap last time I looked.  Maybe it will include some of the flexibility you are looking for.  Still it never hurts to point out the current options when they may not be obvious.

BTW, welcome to the forums @wildethan!

2 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Can't we do this already too? :P

I've never noticed, personally.  Can we put a lit torch into a fireplace and simply add sticks/logs to it? I thought it was just used in place of a match... but you still had to have tinder and fuel. I suppose now that I've said that, it kind of sounds like the same thing. :P

2 minutes ago, Silverhour said:

I've never noticed, personally.  Can we put a lit torch into a fireplace and simply add sticks/logs to it? I thought it was just used in place of a match... but you still had to have tinder and fuel. I suppose now that I've said that, it kind of sounds like the same thing. :P

Yeah, I meant selecting the lit torch instead of a match in the current firestarting interface.

37 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Yeah, I meant selecting the lit torch instead of a match in the current firestarting interface.

I'll have to check the % chance on that... theoretically it should be 100 since the fire is already going, but I guess there's always a possibility you'll smother it rather than feed it.

Lit torches give the same fire starting chance as wood matches, I think. I think it should be higher, as should it be for burning brands.

And you probably shouldn't need tinder in these cases, since you already have a decent, lasting flame. 

I hope the improved fire mechanics, if /when they arrive, are more in line with with real world logic, rather than sticking so rigidly - as they currently do - to game rules. (Ie. Cattail is tinder, you may not use it as fuel! Book is fuel, you may not use it as tinder! Etc.) 

2 hours ago, GiantAntCowboy said:

I never understood why using the torch as fuel results in such a low probability of starting the fire. its like 60% or something.  

Its a stick, wrapped with cloth, and soaked in gas, shouldn't this be like 100% chance of starting a fire? 

I blame this on the fact that you can light logs on fire with only a magnifying glass later in the game O.o

Archived