Time Consuming Map Creation

The Huntsman

Hey guys,

I don't think that there should be a full map integrated into this game.

But think of this: 
1. We get a new skill for creating a map
2. We can find blank cloth/paper whatever to paint our map onto it
3. We need to find something to paint with
4. We need to stay in one spot painting for a long time to increase our skill and to get a small portion of the map
5. The Map should only be something for really LONG LONG play. It is very time consuming.
6. The Map should be pretty inaccurate and no details are marked - just some very general orientation
7. With a higher skill (say 85) you can draw more accurate and draw more details onto that map etc etc.
8. With the highest skill you have a pretty accurate map (but not something like ppl created in the internet - it should feel relatively realistic)
9. The Maps you started with should be as bad as your skill was at the time you created it - so you have to draw the same part of the map again to get better results
10. the ability to patch maps together to get a larger map
11. the ability to put maps on tables etc
12. Say like you need 6 maps per region and have to combine them yourself properly (or just automatic dunno)

I would love it, if any of these ideas about the map would be implemented, and I understand that having NO map is a part why the game feels that great.
But if you play like for so long - you know most of the places yourself and it would only be good for long long play.

What do you guys think?

I'm looking forward to your ideas about this

I'd just like to have a very simple 'draw' function in the journal, so I can sketch my own crude maps.

I know I can do this myself with a bit of paper, but it'd serve a similar function to how you can already use the in-game journal the note down how much loot you left behind in certain locations.

I don't really want the game to be making maps for me, though.

18 hours ago, Pillock said:

I'd just like to have a very simple 'draw' function in the journal, so I can sketch my own crude maps.

I know I can do this myself with a bit of paper, but it'd serve a similar function to how you can already use the in-game journal the note down how much loot you left behind in certain locations.

I don't really want the game to be making maps for me, though.

I really would like a map actually, but that drawing idea is fantastic!

21 hours ago, The Huntsman said:

I understand that having NO map is a part why the game feels that great.

But if you play like for so long - you know most of the places yourself and it would only be good for long long play.

What do you consider as being a 'long' game? For me, playing for more than 1 week means a miracle, but for a lot of players it could mean 30 days, 100 days etc...

I like that drawing idea that Pillock brought up.

You could have a taskbar with ready to use icons (house, car, bridge, cache, etc..) and a free draw option.

Perhaps the player would need to find a usable pen before he could draw a map.  Also the ink could run out of the pen.

But I find having a automatically filling automap would remove a lot from the game experience.

Maybe this could even scale with difficulty. The lower difficulties could have topographic maps (no icons) that the player can then draw into. Maybe even (please please please) satellite imagery. Wouldn´t a camp office have some maps around? While I realize that adding such a big feature just for the lower level players, for whom exploring is one of the biggest parts of the game, and for whom not knowing where the map ends is awesome, is kind of unnecessary or even harmful, I also think that the community needs maps like this, especially satellite and topographic maps. As a compromise, all maps could be fastened to walls so that the player has to remember everything.

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

As a compromise, all maps could be fastened to walls so that the player has to remember everything.

Overall I'm not too keen on the automapping idea suggested by the OP -- I feel it reduces the player's level of engagement.  Press the mapping button, then get up from the PC to go make a sandwich.  The details of the map your avatar is creating never have to pass through your own brain.

I like this idea, however.  Something in the world you'd find, recognize as useful, and maybe study and try to remember where you saw.  It adds actual gameplay choices this way.  (Should I trek back to the camp office and study the map again before I try to travel to Pleasant Valley?)

Archived