Reading while sick/injured

Rusty_Old_F250

IMHO, there are certain types of sick where reading a book and learning from it isn't too hard, but there are other types of sick that aren't going to be very easy or you won't learn much from reading. The trick would be to have the game differentiate. Sprained your ankle and have to stay off it a few hours? Okay, go ahead and read a book. Sick to your stomach because you ate something off, not the greatest idea.

I agree, and disagree. Very recently (yesterday actually) I was sick with one of those nasty feverish colds (IRL, mind you). I thought about reading, as this is one of my all-time pastimes. Strangely enough, though, I couldn't bring myself to reading. Some stuff would make it very hard to read, but sprained ankles? Yeah you could definitely read then. Intestinal parasites, though? I don't know about you, but sh&$ing out worms wouldn't make me very keen to read IMHO.

23 minutes ago, Nyarlathotep said:

Perhaps there could be a penalty of sorts, due to lack of concentration ?

I think this a good idea. Research times x2 if you're sick or injured (or starving!)? I use the reading in-game as a way of avoiding use of the 'pass time' system. I just want to feel like I'm doing something productive if I'm forced to wait out a blizzard and I have nothing else that can usefully be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Pass time is weird.  That being said, I've used it a lot when I've got a cabin fever risk or when I don't want to just have Astrid stand around while I clean or something in RL. I also use it a lot at night, and I find that kind of true to life.  Wake up in the middle of the night, lie in bed for a while, fall asleep again.  So I'm glad the mech is there.  

I don't see why you couldn't read with intestinal parasites.  Food poisoning yes, I can see that.

the game is not meant to be realistic but to give a challenge.

not being able to read at home while recovering means you have some kind of punishment. It is your responsibility to make sure you do not put yourself in that bad situation.

I like the idea of not being able to read, else it would make the game slightly more easier.

Perhaps incorporating different levels of sickness.

From the one where you feel a little shaky and quiet activity such as reading would not be hindered, all the way up to the one where its impossible to keep anything in either end, and expulsion of one triggers an immediate and unavoidable explosion out the other, which would therefore leave you in no shape to pick up a book, let alone concentrate on anything that was written in it.

Archived