Re-cooking spoiled meat

Kauffy

I didn't see another thread on this topic, but I just encountered the situation in-game. I have a TON of meat that is spoiled/spoiling. It's not completely ruined, but has a condition of around 27%-35%. I've been food-poisoned by some of this food already.

It would make sense to be able to re-cook this food, to kill the bacteria that would make you sick, at the expense of weight and calories. I was surprised to see that this isn't an option, so now I just have all this risky meat laying around that I can't really use.

13 hours ago, Kauffy said:

I didn't see another thread on this topic, but I just encountered the situation in-game. I have a TON of meat that is spoiled/spoiling. It's not completely ruined, but has a condition of around 27%-35%. I've been food-poisoned by some of this food already.

It would make sense to be able to re-cook this food, to kill the bacteria that would make you sick, at the expense of weight and calories. I was surprised to see that this isn't an option, so now I just have all this risky meat laying around that I can't really use.

Love the idea.. call it "Charred meat"  and as you stated low calorie and weight, but eatable

They really need to add salting foods in the game =D

16 hours ago, Kauffy said:

It would make sense to be able to re-cook this food, to kill the bacteria that would make you sick, at the expense of weight and calories.

It's a bit more complicated than that, unfortunately. What makes you sick (in rl, that is) are often not the bacteria or molds themselves, but rather their metabolic byproducts which are often toxic for humans. Those toxic substances don't necessarily get destroyed by re-cooking the meat. Well, most of them do to be honest, but even very common bacteria like E.coli can produce heat-stable enterotoxins that remain active even after hours of cooking at 100°C. Those heat-stable toxins are usually not lethal, but can cause some nasty diarrhoea.

I understand where you're coming from (and I wouldn't find it a bad idea for TLD as a game), but I just wanted to mention it. At least in real life, one should never re-cook spoiled meat but simply trash it. ;) 

@Scyzara is right, it wouldnt remove all of the nasties in the steak, and itd only reduce the risk with diminishing returns. Plus the calories would drop considerably as well. But in a survival situation Id definitely consider it as an option.

Theres just sooo much reshei tea out there though. I have a fridge with 30+ cups from just timberwolf mountain and pleasent valley. And its useless after you get cooking to master level because your cooked food never makes you sick!

On 1/14/2017 at 7:08 AM, Scyzara said:

It's a bit more complicated than that, unfortunately. What makes you sick (in rl, that is) are often not the bacteria or molds themselves, but rather their metabolic byproducts which are often toxic for humans. Those toxic substances don't necessarily get destroyed by re-cooking the meat. Well, most of them do to be honest, but even very common bacteria like E.coli can produce heat-stable enterotoxins that remain active even after hours of cooking at 100°C. Those heat-stable toxins are usually not lethal, but can cause some nasty diarrhoea.

I understand where you're coming from (and I wouldn't find it a bad idea for TLD as a game), but I just wanted to mention it. At least in real life, one should never re-cook spoiled meat but simply trash it. ;) 

Ahh, there we go with "facts" getting in the way of a good story. Dang.

Well, unless you're going to allow me to make jerky-- how does that process even work?! This would be a nice add-on. SO MUCH RANCID BEAR MEAT!!!

On 1/18/2017 at 2:06 PM, Rolandtigerfish said:

@Kauffy salt meat... Hang out to dry... Done.

It's also too bad you can't bait wolves with it.

That would be nice, I have a bunch of spoiled rabbit meat just sitting outside my cabin. I figured the wolves would've naturally found it and attempted to eat it by now, but I know that's not currently in the game's mechanics.

On 1/20/2017 at 5:06 PM, Rolandtigerfish said:

@deathbydanish you can use it as decoy but I haven't been brave enough to try.  But the base mechanics of wolf see dropped meat is already in the programing... This would also cause diminishing returns for storing meat outside which honestly would be fun

Agreed, it gets to a certain point where I'm stacking piles of meat outdoors and the fear of starvation is non-existent. I've basically got a Vegas style buffet right outside my door.

Archived