Pup Tents?

The Gentleman  Bastard

I think adding a pup tent into the game would be alot nicer than the snow shelters currently present. Nothing wrong with them per say, but I think lugging around and maintaining a small one man tent would be alot more immersive and fun. Having to decide if you wanna take on the extra weight, deciding what an optimal campsite would be, maintaining said tent through winter conditions, and having to remember where you placed it would add alot to the game in my opinion. I hope to get a response from the Hinterland team (as im sure everyone who posts anything on here is) but anyone else have anything to add or expand on?

• 2 weeks later...

The main use of a pup tent is protection from wind and rain. The main issue the character has in TLD is the cold. The snow shelter is a kind of improvised igloo which would, if built in reality, actually provide warmth since snow is awesome at insulating. If you ever slept in a pup tent without other people to warm you, you will know that they get COLD at night. Also they wouldn´t provide any safety from wolves or bears, which would mean that in the end, you are basically just placing your bedroll on the ground, the wrap of plastic doesn´t change a lot.

I also think it would be great to see pup tents; as a warmer outdoor upgrade to the bedroll. The bedroll only gives a +5c, and doesn't protect against the wind that I know of. A pup tent could be +10 and wind protection, making it suitable for using on a more flat and open map. It could weigh 3-5kg making it something that is a luxury and meant for specific situations rather than regular use.

I am writing up another post for the wish-list which I am calling 'Deep Snow,' (as opposed to my idea for 'Thin Ice' which would be general improvements to coastlines containing seals, walrus', dead whales, mollusks etc.) which would be a more open harsh map expansion, which would require snow-shoes to traverse... a pup tent would be required to get from one place to another on the map as the journey would take more than one day using snow shoes.

@EmotiveScissors

In this context the idea actually sounds pretty decent. The issue is: It would require vast flat maps without shelter or even rocks or trees since all of these are great against the wind..

Also the snow shelter would have to be completely re-balanced. It´s 15 sticks (225g) and 5 cloth (50g) and provides -5°C regardless of wind. Also, if you keep it in top condition it will only require sticks to be maintained. So in the end you have an almost perfect shelter weighing 0.275kg that keeps forever. How would this ever compare to a pup tent? How light would the tent have to be and how fast would you have to be able to assemble it to even come close to a snow shelter. And this isn´t mentioning the points I made above about animals and temperature.

To close I would like to leave a quote from a camping site I just found: 

"The first and most important rule of safe tenting is that tents are not safe shelters in high wind conditions. If there is any doubt, move the party indoors to a safer location like a permanent structure." -http://www.rainier.com/tent/wind-loads-tents/

Have a great day <3

Archived