Walking on logs over ice

cullam

I was somewhat surprised today when I was walking on a downed tree, and suddenly was told that I'd fallen through the ice. There are a bunch of places in the game where you can use a downed tree to cross empty air, or to get over something, so it seemed very strange that if it's corssing a river, you somehow fall through the ice underneath. Is this a bug, or an unintentional behaviour? 
As always, I greatly appreciate all the fantastic work that you guys do! 

This happened to me as well. Near the red boxcars on Forlorn Muskeg.

I wouldn't mind if the tree trunk I was walking on had also gone through the ice (that would make sense), but I was too busy trying to run away from a pack of wolves to notice whether it had. I assume it didn't.

To me, it looked like the log had been strategically placed by the map designers to give you a bridge across the thin ice, so I was a bit miffed that it turned out to be a dastardly trick instead. (Or maybe it is a bug after all?) 

But yeah. Wolves. Didn't really have time or presence of mind to think about it at the time. 

Yeah, I found a way around. But my objection is that it looks exactly like a crossing. In the exact same map you use a tree to cross a gap between two cliffs. It seems like a good idea that either you should be able to cross this one, or it shouldn't be there. 

Archived