Wildlife

Partofla

I'm sure this has been harped on repeatedly forever but wildlife needs to be changed from the random, patrol to something a bit more dynamic.

Right now, the biggest problem I see is that there are too many hostile wildlife encounters and not enough danger from it where it's more than decently frightening. Yes, I'm scared when I see a wolf and even more so when it sees me but I know that I can sufficiently tackle one wolf. When I see a bear, I give it a wide berth.

Problem is, I see them a bit too often and they're not as dangerous as they could be.

We need wolves to run in packs and actively stalk/hunt you when you encounter them but also do it where it's not a regularity to run into them. It should be rare encounters but EXTREMELY dangerous.

I also think that perhaps adding a new hostile animal such as a cougar would be superb; they'd react with hostility towards any other animal except perhaps the bear. Lone wolves caught by the cougar would stand little chance but a pack of wolves could send it scampering away. They'd be far more terrifying than seeing a wolf, as they'd also be possibly hiding in the trees. The key here, of course, would be to ensure that cougars have a limited range that they stay in and don't leave unless they're chasing prey. 

Anyways, thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2017 at 10:17 AM, Partofla said:

I'm sure this has been harped on repeatedly forever but wildlife needs to be changed from the random, patrol to something a bit more dynamic.

Right now, the biggest problem I see is that there are too many hostile wildlife encounters and not enough danger from it where it's more than decently frightening. Yes, I'm scared when I see a wolf and even more so when it sees me but I know that I can sufficiently tackle one wolf. When I see a bear, I give it a wide berth.

Problem is, I see them a bit too often and they're not as dangerous as they could be.

We need wolves to run in packs and actively stalk/hunt you when you encounter them but also do it where it's not a regularity to run into them. It should be rare encounters but EXTREMELY dangerous.

The wolves are already hunting in packs especially on the advanced levels.

Random search patterns by wild life would be a good addition however the primary defense currently is knowing the wolf hunting routes. I completely agree that the wolf should range much farther and more randomly. This will drastically increase the dangers and increase the game difficulty. Well the advanced players have been asking for more danger so give it to them! (tee hee)

I prefer the slightly more realistic and timid wolves of Voyageur. In Interlooper, the wolves should be rabid and could have red eyes at night for extra drama.

I don't know if it has been suggested, but I think it would add to the game if the result of cornering a dear made him lower his head and knock you down (new affliction: Cracked Ribs)

As it is now it seems at times like he runs right through you. There is also no risk in herding the dear towards wolfs. It would be nice if once in a while the dear decided to take his chances with the human. At least in this case you would have to bring the rifle or bow to hunt dear, rather than getting a lot of meat at the cost of a brand.

5 hours ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

I am aware that cougars are on the roadmap, but I would like to see them as silent killers, waiting you out on rocky outcrops and stalk you or plain pounce on you and trigger a unique struggle sequence

I like the idea of Cougars being silent stalkers. It would make the player feel more like prey while looking over your shoulder and having a feeling of being watched. Scary and very dangerous.

18 hours ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

I am aware that cougars are on the roadmap, but I would like to see them as silent killers, waiting you out on rocky outcrops and stalk you or plain pounce on you and trigger a unique struggle sequence

yeah, im all up for it as long as its handled by difficulty settings. dying for a sudden invisible enemy is not fun. losing all progress for something you cant spot and cant stop in a game is not a good idea... i very much like the wolves barking, running for my life is so much more interesting than simply just being killed all of a sudden

Archived