Snaplights/Glowsticks

GemcutterKim

Snaplights is very common where I live (Northern part of sweden) as emergency lighting and everyone I know here owns at least a few i various colors. While no heat is gained from them they burn brightly for 12 hours! As there is no other viable light source in the game than the storm lantern and flares as the magnetic storm has fried all flashlights I thought that Snaplights would be perfect to have if you find yourself in need of light for a whole night and you don't want to waste all that valuable fuel.

Here is an image of the color variations that is common.

6-snaplight-cy-9-08076-0.jpg

Their design allows them to be both placed or hung in a bit of string freeing your hands for work.

(Please forgive any error in grammar or spelling, English isn't my native language.)

Nice! I like this idea. It's handy to have an alternate lightsource ingame besides the lantern, the matches or the fire. And because they burn for 12 hours you'll have to think smartly about when to use one, because you cannot switch it off once you've snapped it (or can you?). Good idea!

They don't work in sub-freezing temps. At least, not any appreciable amount of light.

Good point. You have a lot of knowledge about these survivalthings. We're lucky to have you here!

"Exposure to cold temperatures will not affect the light sticks if they are warmed above 40 degrees F (4.5 degrees C) before activation, unless they are frozen (which occurs at -15 to -20 degrees F, or -26 to -29 degrees C). Once light sticks have been frozen, they will still produce some light, but performance will not be as reliable. Humidity and atmospheric conditions do not affect the light sticks."

• 2 weeks later...
They don't work in sub-freezing temps. At least, not any appreciable amount of light.

Well, the OP is from northern Sweden. I do believe they get sub-freezing temps there, and lots of people use them... Maybe there are versions that work better in low temperatures than others?

Also, heating them up (using your body temp for instance) before snapping them is said to greatly improve light output in cold environments.

Perhaps the glowsticks get "fudged" and they produce the same amount of life regardless of the ambient temperature. I would guess a majority of players wouldn't know glowsticks have poor output in cold weather. All you would have to do is maybe make some text in the item description stating "these glowsticks are specially designed to function even in environmental extremes." It isn't a right-out lie and it preserves game-play while cutting down on programming hours.

Archived