Snowboards, skis and toboggans/sleds.

Bjern

Not sure how difficult it could be to implement any of these into the game, but it seems like equipment that would be find-able in that part of the world, and useful. Would make even more sense if a ski location is added, where it would be easy to find these things. Would also be something that a new skill book could be made to help learn about it.

These would add a definite fun factor, and an alternative way to travel in much of the landscapes.

What are your thoughts?

On 1/12/2017 at 0:03 AM, Bjern said:

Not sure how difficult it could be to implement any of these into the game, but it seems like equipment that would be find-able in that part of the world, and useful. Would make even more sense if a ski location is added, where it would be easy to find these things. Would also be something that a new skill book could be made to help learn about it.

These would add a definite fun factor, and an alternative way to travel in much of the landscapes.

Interesting idea. Were you thinking of Cross-country type skis, as opposed to alpine skis?

32 minutes ago, Mel Guille said:

Interesting idea. Were you thinking of Cross-country type skis, as opposed to alpine skis?

Interesting question! I would say that in this game, Cross-country type skis would be ideal, however if they are found at a ski resort then I think there is a greater chance that they would be alpine skis. Perhaps type kinds of skis could be included? The above poster FatheriatorCZ made a good point about skiing while carrying a lot of weight. I have to think about how that might affect movement...

Hi,

good ideas Bjern.

Maybe a sled can be used for transporting goods when traveling for long distances. Maybe you could build one from scrap metal, cloth, reclaimed wood and lines. I am thinking about something like this:

IMG_0096-sleds.jpg

It should cost you more calories when walk, and the walking speed should be reduced a bit i think. So you would only use it when necessary. 

7 hours ago, Blikkie said:

Hi,

good ideas Bjern.

Maybe a sled can be used for transporting goods when traveling for long distances. Maybe you could build one from scrap metal, cloth, reclaimed wood and lines. I am thinking about something like this:

IMG_0096-sleds.jpg

It should cost you more calories when walk, and the walking speed should be reduced a bit i think. So you would only use it when necessary. 

That would be fantastic!

It would need a fairly hefty physics overhaul!

At the moment, there is nothing approaching realistic friction in the game. You can walk down near-vertical cliffs as long as you're careful, seemingly glued to the surface like a spider. More importantly as far as skis or sleds are concerned, you can't slip or slide down a steep bank. Improved physics is absolutely necessary before - or alongside - any inclusions of friction-based movement like these.

To be honest you could cheat physics by just bending the current burden system. Turn terrain into +/- burden weight while on skis and quiet the announcement so the player doesn't see it.

I know the physics in this game is fairly limited because I watched a bear fall off a rock out cropping that would have surely killed me and it just continued to gallop off into the sunset my last arrow wiggling from its butt.

8 hours ago, Pillock said:

It would need a fairly hefty physics overhaul!

At the moment, there is nothing approaching realistic friction in the game. You can walk down near-vertical cliffs as long as you're careful, seemingly glued to the surface like a spider. More importantly as far as skis or sleds are concerned, you can't slip or slide down a steep bank. Improved physics is absolutely necessary before - or alongside - any inclusions of friction-based movement like these.

I know that a lot of people seem to want both jumping and slipping on the ice added into the game, which would fit with this inclusion if they choose to work on this.

Archived