Expansion on "sprained wrist" affliction system

thekillergreece

Hello!

I noticed something wrong. So, my character had his RIGHT wrist sprained!! I try to take the rifle, it says I cant because of my wrist being straned. I grab my flare, out of sudden, his RIGHT HAND grabs the flare and holds it. But excuse me, my character got his right HAND/WRIST STRAINED, how can he grab his flare with his right hand? His LEFT hand should grab it instead.

On top of that, in-real life, I can still hold a rifle with one hand at the cost of terrible accuracy and slowest rate of fire. For example, if my character has his/her LEFT HAND/WRIST STRAINED, then my character should realistically still be able to hold the rifle with his right hand at the cost of terrible accuracy and slow rate of fire.

What do you think?

1 minute ago, thekillergreece said:

Uhhh, sounds odd on?

The inconsistency of sprained wrists, as you have described it. I haven't payed attention to that - generally I'm just focused on getting pain killers asap - but I'll watch for it next time.

Honestly, it doesn't seem that odd to me. Even with a bad sprain/strain, you'll still be able to handle light stuff, like a flare, water bottle, food. Particularly if you're not really flexing the wrist. Granted, yes, in reality most of us would switch hands for that light stuff, but from a development standpoint, that would require a complete extra set of animations, which is a lot of work. It's the same reason you'll almost never have the option of creating a left-handed character in a game.

Comparatively, the rifle is rather heavy (4.2 kg fully loaded) and the position of both hands when holding it is in a stressed, load-bearing position. Theoretically, sure, if your left wrist was the bad one, you could try firing the rifle without actually holding it with the left hand. It's not going to be simply terrible accuracy, but zero accuracy, and it's not going to be a slow rate of fire, but a single shot, as it is a bolt-action rifle. You really do need both hands/wrists to be able to bear load for this. Since we don't have a system of severity for strains/sprains and we 'cure' them through a simple dose of pain reliever or a bit of rest, then I think the limitations imposed are okay.

5 hours ago, SteelFire said:

Theoretically, sure, if your left wrist was the bad one, you could try firing the rifle without actually holding it with the left hand. It's not going to be simply terrible accuracy, but zero accuracy, and it's not going to be a slow rate of fire, but a single shot, as it is a bolt-action rifle. You really do need both hands/wrists to be able to bear load for this. Since we don't have a system of severity for strains/sprains and we 'cure' them through a simple dose of pain reliever or a bit of rest, then I think the limitations imposed are okay.

Yeah but its really not that hard to support a rifle with your arm instead of holding it with your hand...

Archived