A peculiar request.

slvrsrfr

After reading this page and finding it wonderfully informative. And would do well to answer many of the typical questions that get asked in these forums.

http://hinterlandgames.com/the-long-dark/roadmap/

My request is that the game, seeing it in this state and it being in the condition it is in, get saved. My hope is that if not now, in the future you will continue to provide a playable server to support this version in particular. Because no matter what is said about the state of the game currently. It is completely playable as is and why I bought it. And since I haven't had the joy of playing, nor will I in the foreseeable future. It most likely will be significantly updated, or changed completely by the time I can or do. I understand that asking the game to be frozen before it changes may sound strange. But before all the forthcoming mechanics get incorporated, I wanted to affirm this particular iteration is special and unique. And in it's simplistic ways embodies the best of the games concepts. It conveys every thing intended, in my belief, the producers envisioned.

So, to reiterate at some point the Resolute Oufitter with it's accompanying updates should have a home, a playable server. It's already a classic. One day I wanna play in the realm that made me love the game. I considered this last night, and the hotfix made me think I should say it out loud, at least once, sooner than later

If you're saying you want to be able to freeze the game in its current build, Hinterland's not going to help you with that, but you can always back up your game folder and turn off Steam updates.  I did this for the Halloween event so I can go back and play that if I want (obviously you only want to do so with saves from that version).

17 hours ago, slvrsrfr said:

My request is that the game, seeing it in this state and it being in the condition it is in, get saved. My hope is that if not now, in the future you will continue to provide a playable server to support this version in particular. Because no matter what is said about the state of the game currently. It is completely playable as is and why I bought it. And since I haven't had the joy of playing, nor will I in the foreseeable future. It most likely will be significantly updated, or changed completely by the time I can or do. I understand that asking the game to be frozen before it changes may sound strange. But before all the forthcoming mechanics get incorporated, I wanted to affirm this particular iteration is special and unique. And in it's simplistic ways embodies the best of the games concepts. It conveys every thing intended, in my belief, the producers envisioned.

Wow, slvrsrfr, thank you for your words of support!

We want to build an experience that really connects with players in a thoughtful way, and evokes the feeling of being isolated and vulnerable to nature. It's gratifying to hear that the current version of The Long Dark reflects that in what you've experienced. :)

That said, I would ask that you not count out future versions just yet. While The Long Dark will continue to develop and grow, it will be centered on the same core experience, and tuned as carefully as we are able to prevent it from being compromised.

Welcome to the forums @zParticle ^_^

@slvrsrfr: Depending on the platform you bought the game on you can already freeze the game in place. If I recall @Blinkin's posts the GOG version of the game lets you play older versions since all of the files are currently downloadable. Even if they're not, since you're downloading the exe directly with GOG as long as you don't download an update or overwrite your download you can always play one particular version of the game.

That's correct @cekivi on GOG you're able to download the installer and you can revert your installation to previous versions with it.
You could technically install several versions aside of each other (manual installation), as long as the installation directory is different and you make sure you use a different save for each (the game uses the appdata folder of the user account no matter where you install the game, so saves will be shared).

Edit 1: I just noticed that you can currently only roll back a hand full of updates. I've attached the screenshot below (from GOG Galaxy, the user friendly client) to make it a bit more clear. But as Cekivi said: if you turn off automatic updates or if you install the game with the manual installer (so outside the GOG Galaxy client) you could stick with the current version.

TLD_GOG-Galaxy201701162231.jpg

Edit 2: Here's a screenshot of all the installers of The Long Dark that I downloaded. You see every full installer of the game that you could download from GOG's website (they're only available when a new version is released, so you can't download the old full installers atm). They offer patches as a separate download but I prefer to download the full installers for convenience.

TLD_Installers201701162240.png

As you can see I could install version 0.302 if I wanted to play the game how it was 10/12 months ago. :)
Each of these installers are over 1 GB, with the latest version being 1,56 GB.

Archived