Wolf Color Variety

cloudsoda

From what I've seen in-game, it seems like there's only one variety of wolf pelt, and that's a charcoal-blackish color. It'd be cool if there was more variety, like typical gray wolf colors, browns, rusts, etc. Maybe if it also had a part in the Wolfskin Coat's colors, too. Like if you killed 3 black wolves and 1 brownish-red one, it would be mostly black.

Also because having a white wolf sneak attacking a player walking through white snow would be pretty lulzy.

Eye color for wolves seems a bit unnecessary, but perhaps they plan to add different species of wolves (E.g. Arctic wolves, Timber wolves, Great Plains wolves, British Colombian wolves, etc...), or give them a varied appearance.

35 minutes ago, thekillergreece said:

More types for wolves please, yeah

I'd first want to see more wild life diversity before they add more species of wolves. Eventually that would be cool of course, if they want to do this, but no need to rush.

22 hours ago, Bjern said:

Eye color for wolves seems a bit unnecessary, but perhaps they plan to add different species of wolves (E.g. Arctic wolves, Timber wolves, Great Plains wolves, British Colombian wolves, etc...), or give them a varied appearance.

Errrrr, I wasn't suggesting EYE colors for wolves. XD I was suggesting PELT colors.

Much like other things in the game, I'm sure with time the devs will create variety within the spawned-in creatures/items. For now these would just be stock placeholders until a system of random varieties can be implemented. 

I doubt there would be more than one breed of wolf in the area, likely a timber or grey wolf, but the fur patterns should vary, and the solid black ones right now would actually be rarer than the patterned grey/brown/black type you normally picture. Being a huge lover of wolves I would have preferred to see the stereotypical grey wolf rather than these black dogs they call wolves. Wolves don't bark, I'm just saying...

@Silverhour, right on point. Small, black, barking wolves make me think more about a population of belgian shepherds gone wild and rabid, instead of gray wolves. It's true that wolves can bark but it's something they do just one or few times, when startled. Every time I hear the "woff-woff-woff" of a wolf that starts running after a prey in game it sounds to me extremely dog-like. The whole population being black is even weirder.

I believe the black coats have something to do with the geomagnetic event or was an intentional move by the devs, because in very early development the wolves had typical pelts. Plus the fictional island the game takes place on could have a unique population of wolves?

Wolves do bark when theyre startled or hunting however, not at the rate it shows in game, but they do. Again, artistic license from geomagnetic event. 

Im just defending their case to add another perspective to this discussion, a wolf overhall would be nice, but the devs have a vision of what they want in the game so dont be surprised if they sacrificed realism for Aestetics/fun

Personally i just find the pathfinding of startled animals to be very bad, they run all over the place without acknowleging where the player is. Ive had both wolves and deer run right through me when startled.

On 1/14/2017 at 6:12 AM, MarrowStone said:

Personally i just find the pathfinding of startled animals to be very bad, they run all over the place without acknowleging where the player is. Ive had both wolves and deer run right through me when startled.

Yeah they tend to run around like that confused Travolta Meme, it you stand in the right place you can watch an animal run to the same dead end and then back and then loop itself as it constantly retriggers its reaction

Archived