Igloos.

Bjern

This original idea that came from the native peoples of Canada, is such an effective method to keep warm when all you have around you is snow...Exactly what happens sometimes in the game. Building it would require effort to build one, but would make a nice permanent shelter that would be very fitting in this game. What are your thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Hotzn said:

Nice idea, but it's unclear how this would affect the balance of the game. At least on the higher difficulty levels the costs for building an igloo would have to be very high.

True. Not sure the best way to implement it either, but it is very iconic, and would fit in well with this scenario. Building it would require very specific conditions - it would have to be on a flat surface, it would take quite a bit of energy to construct it, and you can't build it during a blizzard...perhaps a certain tool would be required too, like a shovel or something, which you would first have to find. Maybe you can only build one igloo per region as well.

Good idea as keeping one per region

There would still need to be benefits to the igloo, as well as being able to do actions inside (building a fire etc...)

In terms of actually building it, a little snow fort used by the Canadian military called a quinzhee (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinzhee)can be an easier choice for the development team to implement into the gameplay. It is fairly simple to make: make a large pile of snow and the dig a hole in it; instead of staking squares of ice/snow. While similar to the snow shelter we have now, it could have better heated temperature as well as other miscalleneous benefits. The only downgrade would be that stepping on it (large animal or human) can easily break it, as it is in real life, but would protect the player from animals.

Either way they decide to proceed, it would be nice to have something more original than a generic "snow shelter"

Doable but it would have to be a larger amount of effort to do. Although there would have to be limits.  Like 2 per map and on any day that goes to 1°C you would lose 1% per hour until it would be ruined.  And you couldn't rebuild once you had your 2 in the region.  This would make pleasant valley, timber wolf mountain, and forlorn musk region more habitable since they mostly stay below -1°C.  But you'd have to also have loss of durability during a blizzard say -3% over 4 hours with high winds.  No storage in igloo bc if it gets ruined you'd loose all of it. Or maybe storage... Idk..  but that's about as non game breaking as I could think to make it

8 hours ago, Don Honas said:

Somehow an Igloo feels like it would not directly fit with a unexpected survival situation. Which I believe is one cornerstone in the game development . Correct me if I'm wrong. 

I'm not sure I follow, as igloos are structures specifically meant to save your life.

5 minutes ago, Bjern said:

I'm not sure I follow, as igloos are structures specifically meant to save your life.

Unlike a snow cave or snow trench igloos take more time, skill, experience, and tools to build. Anyone can make a pile of snow and dig a tunnel into it. However an igloo requires carefully crafted blocks of the right type of snow put together in the correct shape.

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

Unlike a snow cave or snow trench igloos take more time, skill, experience, and tools to build. Anyone can make a pile of snow and dig a tunnel into it. However an igloo requires carefully crafted blocks of the right type of snow put together in the correct shape.

Indeed, but of course survival does take effort. I do think a skill book could be needed for this, as it is more complex than people might realize. Succeeding in building an igloo would give the player a better chance of survival than a snow trench or snow cave, so it's an upgraded protection.

Archived