Seasons Poll

JimmyPL56

Seasons  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd imagine wildlife would be plentiful during Summer, however would be scarce to find during Winter. Maybe it would rain and have thunder storms during Summer instead of having blizzards. Harvesting certain plants would likely be seasonal too.

This topic greatly worries me, through multiple points I would like to share:

1- The whole point of this game is to survive the Canadian wilderness in the dead of winter, adding seasons would mean that the entire focus of the game would need to change, from a winter survival game to a general survival game. 

2- If seasons are implemented, during the non-winter moments, would you meet different survivors? This brings back to the point that there are some people who are really not interested in having other survivors in sandbox mode. 

3-How will the entire change be implemented? Will I have to wait a certain amount of days till the seasons change? It wouldn't make sense for the seasons to change every week or so, and if they do change, how would we need to continue to survive based on the limited amount of current resources ; we would need significant alterations of wildlife as well as how many resources are available across the various maps. Take into note not every player is able to reach 100 days, and even then it's very hard for most most players to reach 500 or more days.

4-This leads to my final point, which really mystifies me. If we follow the road map and we recieve the seasons as well as kayaks/canoes, what would stop us from leaving the island?

Pretty much just summed up most of the issues I have with this idea, but I hope to dear god Hinterland thinks this through efficiently. It could hurt the game badly if they do not do this properly. 

As far as I know, it is on the long term feature map to add future installments of the game for the other seasons. I guess it depends upon the success of the game and demand. I think this is a superior game, much more strategic than other games even war games. More compromises; I love compromises.

Maybe seasons would be similar to tundra locations.  Short Summers and long Winters.  The Spring and Fall length could vary along with surprise cold snaps.  Golden year(s) where Summer starts early and ends late.  Which finally results in year(s) of deathly cold and blizzards.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:57 AM, EricTheGreat12 said:

4-This leads to my final point, which really mystifies me. If we follow the road map and we recieve the seasons as well as kayaks/canoes, what would stop us from leaving the island?

Um, distance, perhaps even ocean currents making it extremely difficult if not impossible to leave the island of your own power.

4 hours ago, Ape88 said:

Um, distance, perhaps even ocean currents making it extremely difficult if not impossible to leave the island of your own power.

Possible, that could actually work

4 hours ago, Farrgin Ice Hole said:

Maybe seasons would be similar to tundra locations.  Short Summers and long Winters.  The Spring and Fall length could vary along with surprise cold snaps.  Golden year(s) where Summer starts early and ends late.  Which finally results in year(s) of deathly cold and blizzards.

Now that's a completely different story. Years? Nobody can ever survive in this game that long. It wouldn't be very nice for a lot of people if they switched everything into tundra like weather...

18 hours ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

Possible, that could actually work

Now that's a completely different story. Years? Nobody can ever survive in this game that long. It wouldn't be very nice for a lot of people if they switched everything into tundra like weather...

Lasting a year in full TLD Winter is tough.  I am rather new to TLD and I have pulled off 300+ days on interloper.  But when Winter has an end and a new growing season with new forage items during Spring Summer and Fall and replenisheing the wild consumables for Winter this could allow for players lasting for a few years.

If seasons are a thing then lasting years would be possible.  Well up until the long full horrible Winter sets in.  During this time maybe Winter is a much more severe and crueler (mmm donouts) and last longer with black out periods akin to the Halloween four days event but lasting perhaps weeks.  The idea that provisions will need to be stockpiled for this horrible Winter much like the white out challenge.  The player has time and for a few years survival will be somewhat easy.  The terrible Winter will act as a thresher and separate the wheat from the chaff and most players will end their play through sleeping in the long dark and trying again.  If there is an end to the terrible Winter then it could act as story closure and perhaps a rescue or alternatively you welcome other survivors onto your prosperous island.

This is all just wishful thinking for now and I am looking forward to see how Hinterland puts this all together.

I completely don't understand the idea of seasons. Winter is the bad month. Winter is the month you spend the whole year preparing for. Currently we are surviving being dropped into the middle of it. Currently you struggle to survive against the elements.

Where is the struggle in Spring? 'Oh no! Unseasonable warmth! Let me go sit under this tree and drink from this river, and eat this rabbit that I tripped over, because there is literally hundreds of them because its Springs. OK - I'm refreshed, I think I'll go for a swim now because I live a carefree life now that society has collapsed.'

Unless either
A: Summer is going to be 48* C in the shade on a good day, Spring flash flood every other day and Autumn.... crush you with leaves?...

B: Winter will be made unsurvivable without prepreperation requiring months of time

I dont see how the rest of the year would compare at all to Winter. Winter is the month you dread. It is the month that kills. It is the month that requires preparation. Most of the rest of the year is 'good times'.

Archived