Bug? Exploit? I'm not sure, video included.

clamjam

I was browsing through different streams, and saw a player climbing a tree to hunt bear and wolves on Timberwolf Mountain.  I'm not certain if this mechanic was intended by Hinterland, due to the fact that predators have no path to the player hunting them.

The video included is to give information to the devs, not to point the fickle finger of judgement at the player who was streaming.

https://clips.twitch.tv/birthhcontroll/PowerfulHerdMikeHogu

That is not working as intended, thanks for the report. Moving this to the tech subforum. 

2 minutes ago, clamjam said:

I was browsing through different streams, and saw a player climbing a tree to hunt bear and wolves on Timberwolf Mountain.  I'm not certain if this mechanic was intended by Hinterland, due to the fact that predators have no path to the player hunting them.

The video included is to give information to the devs, not to point the fickle finger of judgement at the player who was streaming.

https://clips.twitch.tv/birthhcontroll/PowerfulHerdMikeHogu

Do you happen to know which platform this player was playing on?

And welcome to the forums, by the way! :)

3 minutes ago, clamjam said:

That is brilliant!  I can't believe I never tried that myself!

OMG You are climbing a tree! Does it only work on that one? It would be sooooo cool to be able to do this on some of the trees, in the end we humans have been climbing trees to avoid dangers since our early days. Our bodies are quite well designed for this task. 

7 minutes ago, Ohbal said:

OMG You are climbing a tree! Does it only work on that one? It would be sooooo cool to be able to do this on some of the trees, in the end we humans have been climbing trees to avoid dangers since our early days. Our bodies are quite well designed for this task. 

Tree stands would also make interesting findable/craftable locations. How to keep them from being overpowered though...

That is the ultimate issue in this game. Humans are quite overpowered in this world because we can do many things the animals cannot :)

However, in the game you could add some heavy cons: the feels like temperature dropes when you are up there; no wind protection; should be impossible to make a fire or sleep... and there should be a slight chance for the whole thing collapsing on blizzards and strong winds, which could cause major injuries from the fall. 

16 hours ago, Timber Wolf said:

This is awesome!  It appears the shape of the tree is the key.  Here I am on top a different tree in that same area.  My brain is exploding with ideas right now!!

Interesting. I saw the video a while ago and tried to do it myself on two or three trees. Didn't work. I didn't think it was the shape of the tree that mattered. Good find! :)

On 1/10/2017 at 0:12 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

That is not working as intended, thanks for the report. Moving this to the tech subforum. 

I watch this streamer frequently, a superb player. He can't be the only one that knows this trick. And I would be surprised if they(The Studio) were not aware of this player already. He has a deep understanding of all of the mechanics of the game. Intimately familiar with all the locales, has shortcuts for shortcuts. :)

It was almost disheartening the first time I saw the play style. I realized then I'd have to adopt it to succeed in the game(long, long term). Against my better Prepper/Hoarder style(feelings). But nevertheless I want to know how long I could survive in the environment as it is made today. So, although I am quite aware of the maps for the most part, I am still eager to try my best and take it as far as I can.

2 minutes ago, reggiedunbar said:

I'm still playing after 1753 days ;)

I do not have that level of patience! :D

I usually stop around 100 days or so after I'm fully kitted out and all the maps are explored. Not much to do after that point (for the moment).

Archived