Do wildlife fight each other?

thekillergreece

4 minutes ago, thekillergreece said:

I was wondering if bear can encounter with wolves and attack each other?

Unfortunately, they do not attack each other.  The wolves just run away from the bears.

5 minutes ago, thekillergreece said:

If not, would you like to see that? (I believe its planned) If so, how would you like to see that mechanic?

I would love to see any and all improvements to any and all aspects of wildlife behavior.  I do not at all care how they make improvements or what other types of behavior they may add - I just want it to be better and more diverse.  I find the animals act more like mindless machines that have only a couple of very basic modes, as opposed to actual animal behavior.  And since they only occupy particular areas, they are extremely easy to avoid or kill, as the need may be.

I will be hoping that when the moose finds its way into the game, a widespread improvement in wildlife behaviors will come with it.

On 1/10/2017 at 0:00 PM, Timber Wolf said:

...I will be hoping that when the moose finds its way into the game, a widespread improvement in wildlife behaviors will come with it.

Yes, I would like to see a pack of wolves attacking a moose.  The ensuing carnage might provide great scavenging opportunities!    

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2017 at 3:00 PM, Timber Wolf said:

Unfortunately, they do not attack each other.  The wolves just run away from the bears.

During a playthough yesterday i came across a wolf corpse on Mystery Lake, fresh game and definitely wasn't killed by me. There was a bear wandering around ice nearby. Is it possible it got caught? Or can dead wolves sometimes spawn into the game?

On 2/5/2017 at 3:41 PM, Thirsty said:

During a playthough yesterday i came across a wolf corpse on Mystery Lake, fresh game and definitely wasn't killed by me. There was a bear wandering around ice nearby. Is it possible it got caught? Or can dead wolves sometimes spawn into the game?

Is it possible that you injured a wolf sometime previously, and only just then came across the corpse?  They can run a surprising distance and for a pretty long time depending on the injury.  The carcass does then degrade, but it will last for several days before disappearing.  As far as I'm aware, the only thing that will ever kill a wolf is the player.

1 minute ago, Thirsty said:

@ArmagedDan Actually i had just started the playthrough, didn't even have a rifle at that point. Bit of a mystery, shame i wasn't recording it!

Had you been attacked by a wolf in that playthrough?  Even if you just beat on them with your bare hands it counts as an injury that will (usually) eventually kill them.  If not, then I'm stumped.  We can fall back to that old reliable, impregnable bastion of blaming it on non-reproducible bugs.  :)

13 hours ago, ArmagedDan said:

Had you been attacked by a wolf in that playthrough?  Even if you just beat on them with your bare hands it counts as an injury that will (usually) eventually kill them.  If not, then I'm stumped.  We can fall back to that old reliable, impregnable bastion of blaming it on non-reproducible bugs.  :)

Nah, i actually skirted the lake on the right hand side to avoid a wolf, made it to the back of the lake and the corpse was outside of the lonely cabin. The bear was wandering around by the furthest fishing hut.

Untitled1.png

Archived