Unable to re-enter hydro dam after leaving through back door

Name62

The long dark : bug report 1. V.389
Difficulty: pilgrim 
Area: Back door of: carter & hydro dam & environs 
Explored 33%
Survived 38D 4H 37M
Date 12:22 pm 1/10/2017

The door to the back of ( carter & hydro dam & environs ) disables you from re-entering said building after you leave through it, meaning if you left anything inside & it saves, your out of luck until you can get back to the front door. This has happened two times now through my place through on trial & on paid. Both times I was locked out but re-loaded back to my save point inside the dam.

I'm not 100% sure if I can leave through the door again as I haven't gotten there again yet, but I believe I can leave through the door but not re-enter the building through said door.

5 minutes ago, Name62 said:

The door to the back of ( carter & hydro dam & environs ) disables you from re-entering said building after you leave through it, meaning if you left anything inside & it saves, your out of luck until you can get back to the front door.

Greetings @Name62!

Are you sure you can't find another way in from the back of the dam? ;)

11 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Hello and welcome! This door is actually working as intended. But you're not locked out completely -- there is a way back in from the Winding River, you just have to find it. (don't want to spoil it for you) Good luck! :)

Why would you make a one way door in a survival game?? Not only does that hinder the players leaving said building if the supplies where left in there, but it's a complete waste of time.

& I know I'm not locked out completely since the front door still works, I just need to get back to it as stated above.

1 minute ago, Name62 said:

Why would you make a one way door in a survival game?? Not only does that hinder the players leaving said building if the supplies where left in there, but it's a complete waste of time.

& I know I'm not locked out completely since the front door still works, I just need to get back to it as stated above.

Industrial sites commonly have one way or locking doors to keep people out of areas they shouldn't be. The door in question used to have a key card. Obviously that's not working without power. The Winding River is a significant (and safer) shortcut between Mystery Lake and Pleasant Valley so the door represents an added envirnmental challenge to overcome first.

Moved to play test feedback as this is not a bug.

Also, spoilers!

There is a way back into the dam from the winding river side. It's just a little risky getting to it.

17 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

Greetings @Name62!

Are you sure you can't find another way in from the back of the dam? ;)

I'm not worried wether or not I can get back into the building through a another door 3 days away, the door that strands me out on top of a hydro plant with no other door to re-enter said building from said location is more of my concern. 

And thank you for the welcome. 

2 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Industrial sites commonly have one way or locking doors to keep people out of areas they shouldn't be. The door in question used to have a key card. Obviously that's not working without power. The Winding River is a significant (and safer) shortcut between Mystery Lake and Pleasant Valley so the door represents an added envirnmental challenge to overcome first.

Moved to play test feedback as this is not a bug.

Also, spoilers!

Reveal hidden contents

There is a way back into the dam from the winding river side. It's just a little risky getting to it.

Annoying but I guess I get the realism, adding a sigh to said door even if it's maybe weatherd would be nice though next time there's a one way door. 

3 minutes ago, Name62 said:

I'm not worried wether or not I can get back into the building through a another door 3 days away, the door that strands me out on top of a hydro plant with no other door to re-enter said building from said location is more of my concern. 

And thank you for the welcome. 

Ah, I see your confusion.

There is a way back into the dam from where you are right now without leaving the Winding River map. Hint: it is not a door

If you look across the dam to the other side (so pan right if you are facing the door) you should see a fenced in enclosure and crows circling a deer carcass. The ledge over there is narrow and a bit hazardous to walk but I wonder what else there is to find over there?

If there is a topic I don't mind seeing over and over and over is this one :D 

I can perfectly picture the shock face when new people get through the door and only find out the mechanism when it's too late. At first it feels like devs are evil people, later on you can only bow to them for this clever flip :) 

Don't forget to check the hidden contents in @cekivi's answers if you are still frustrated! 

Well there should be some kind of in-game feedback to let players know it's intentional and not a bug. An audio sound of attempting to yank the door open (similar to when you click on a radio) and maybe an "oh crap, can't open it from this side" character dialogue.   People shouldn't have to come to the forums to figure this out. To new players it certainly gives the impression that it's a bug.  That's what I thought when it first happened to me many months ago.  I died - went outside with an hour of daylight left into a raging blizzard!  My exact thought was - it's late, just going to open this door up and see what's on the other side and come right back in and spend the night and check it out further tomorrow.  In a real life situation I would NEVER let the door close behind me, especially if I opened it and saw a blizzard going on!

42 minutes ago, Packet802 said:

Well there should be some kind of in-game feedback to let players know it's intentional and not a bug. An audio sound of attempting to yank the door open (similar to when you click on a radio) and maybe an "oh crap, can't open it from this side" character dialogue.   People shouldn't have to come to the forums to figure this out. To new players it certainly gives the impression that it's a bug.  That's what I thought when it first happened to me many months ago.  I died - went outside with an hour of daylight left into a raging blizzard!  My exact thought was - it's late, just going to open this door up and see what's on the other side and come right back in and spend the night and check it out further tomorrow.  In a real life situation I would NEVER let the door close behind me, especially if I opened it and saw a blizzard going on!

Which is why feedback like this is important ;)

The sign is there -- reminds me of the "Semiotic Standard" from Alien, but that's a topic for another thread perhaps: 

alien_semiotic_01_full.jpg

And yes, @Name62, feedback is important, even as we also like to emphasize that The Long Dark is a game where your choices matter. A bit of a tough lesson in this particular case, but trust us, we've all been in your shoes at one time or another in the game. 

An audio cue of some kind is an interesting idea. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

The sign is there -- reminds me of the "Semiotic Standard" from Alien, but that's a topic for another thread perhaps: 

alien_semiotic_01_full.jpg

And yes, @Name62, feedback is important, even as we also like to emphasize that The Long Dark is a game where your choices matter. A bit of a tough lesson in this particular case, but trust us, we've all been in your shoes at one time or another in the game. 

An audio cue of some kind is an interesting idea. 

An audio cue or maybe dialogue like @Packet802 said would be cool, though Glitch or not didn't matter to me as I made the choice willingly to get locked out because I wanted to explore the river area so it wasn't a big deal to me after 38d's under my belt ( when I was playing my trial I was freaking out and had to reload my last save thought ) Thanks again for the clarification, again. I'll continue to report on issues as I find them.

I played the game for several months before I found out about the other way into the dam. I just thought it was a hazard to deal with in the game world. All that time I'd thought Mystery Lake to Winding River was a one - way ticket. 

And it'd been over a year of playing before I discovered that preppers' caches existed.

Sometimes the game's little secrets reveal themselves slowly, especially when you refuse to use 3rd party maps. 

On 2017-01-15 at 8:00 AM, Vortex said:

Did I just get lucky that I found the way back in a few minutes after I made it out?

If you want a hint about where it is... hope you aren't afraid of heights. ;)

I found the way back in accidentally because I was exploring the transition zone and I've started to get a feel for how Hinterlands designs maps. I only realized the door was one way only the second time I used it.

I like the idea of an audio clue. We all experienced this on our first exploration of Carter, and I know that I thought there was a chance it had bugged (vs a designed one-way door).

Could also be more intuitive if on the other side you could still see that the door is there (with whitetext) - which either prompts the audio cue when clicked, OR appeared with the locked symbol that we see on lockers. In fact, maybe it could even be opened with a crowbar? Although most players would already have one for Carter exploration, so that might defeat the gotcha...

2 hours ago, GorillaDust said:

I like the idea of an audio clue. We all experienced this on our first exploration of Carter, and I know that I thought there was a chance it had bugged (vs a designed one-way door).

Could also be more intuitive if on the other side you could still see that the door is there (with whitetext) - which either prompts the audio cue when clicked, OR appeared with the locked symbol that we see on lockers. In fact, maybe it could even be opened with a crowbar? Although most players would already have one for Carter exploration, so that might defeat the gotcha...

While I like the idea of houses or basements sometimes being locked and requiring a prybar to get in, I don't think this would apply to the type of door at the back of Carter Dam. It's big and heavy and metal, and would probably outlast the prybar.

The audio clues would be good, though.

(On locked containers generally, I'd like to see lockers be able to be opened with a heavy hammer, for the cost of some calories and fatigue (and maybe the ability to use it as a locker afterwards!). Or perhaps even without any tools, for a much bigger calorie+fatigue cost, and with the chance of a sprained ankle thrown in? And I've never really understood why the TWM containers can't be opened with the prybar as well as the hacksaw... Oh, and I'd like to be able to dismantle crates and pallets for reclaimed wood with the prybar as well!)

40 minutes ago, Pillock said:

I've never really understood why the TWM containers can't be opened with the prybar as well as the hacksaw

I'm sure I'm not the only one who, on my first TWM run, found a locked cargo container in a hard-to-reach place, then took great effort and faced great risk to return all the way to the hut for my prybar, before finally returning to the cargo container only to find a spoonful of crushing disappointment.

1 hour ago, GorillaDust said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who, on my first TWM run, found a locked cargo container in a hard-to-reach place, then took great effort and faced great risk to return all the way to the hut for my prybar, before finally returning to the cargo container only to find a spoonful of crushing disappointment.

I think we've all been there. I'm just happy I was playing on a low enough difficulty the first time I climbed the mountain to ensure there'd be a hacksaw at the top!

1 hour ago, Pillock said:

(On locked containers generally, I'd like to see lockers be able to be opened with a heavy hammer, for the cost of some calories and fatigue (and maybe the ability to use it as a locker afterwards!). Or perhaps even without any tools, for a much bigger calorie+fatigue cost, and with the chance of a sprained ankle thrown in? And I've never really understood why the TWM containers can't be opened with the prybar as well as the hacksaw... Oh, and I'd like to be able to dismantle crates and pallets for reclaimed wood with the prybar as well!)

I've also wondered this. If you're desperate enough, you're going to find a way into the locker with or without tools ;)

And pallets should definitely be broken down with the prybar as well. Breaking down wood is what it was designed for after all!

4 hours ago, GorillaDust said:

Could also be more intuitive if on the other side you could still see that the door is there (with whitetext) - which either prompts the audio cue when clicked, OR appeared with the locked symbol that we see on lockers.

That would definitely make it more clear that it was intentional.

• 4 months later...

My character was stuffed full of goodies from the dam (after having traipsed around several days in only a down vest and thermo underwear) and got to the bottom of the dam expecting a run down the winding river back to Mystery Lake itself. Several days spent running around in circles and stores are practically depleted. I've explored the "Carter Caves" to my belief fully, and all the different exits and small caves left and right of the river. 

I read I can go to  Pleasant Valley but I don't want to because I have 4 cured wolf pelts waiting for me in the Camp Cabin near the lake.

Why not just connect the dam to the winding river as it should be. I love puzzles but this is really unnecessarily tough and there are too few clues. Can someone help me out? 

7 hours ago, Fluxion said:

Why not just connect the dam to the winding river as it should be. I love puzzles but this is really unnecessarily tough and there are too few clues. Can someone help me out? 

You don't need to go all the way to PV to get back to ML. There is a way back into Carter Dam from Winding River. As @Vortex said:

On 1/16/2017 at 0:00 AM, Vortex said:

Did I just get lucky that I found the way back in a few minutes after I made it out?

If you want a hint about where it is... hope you aren't afraid of heights. ;)

Archived