A key to Drop the all backpack

Vinceofpyrenees

A simple key to drop the all backpack. This backpack could be shown as an container.

It could be particulary usefull to drop eveything when we are in safehouse, while repairing, reading, crafting etc....of course we need materials to craft and read. So we could keep only 2 or 3 things with us (that don't require the backpack). And the actual existing little container bacpack could be collected and used as a little one (=10kg capacity) (usefull for little travels and activities).

Because sometimes I would drop everything except 2 or 3 usefull things for a special activity (read : the book, mending : 3 or 4 things for it). I think it's to long to drop heavy things one by one.

Without backpack, let us the ability to hand-carrying this necessary 2-4 things (or in terms of weight 5kg). For example, without backpack the carachter could carrying the repairing-kit and 2 pièces of cloths. Or 2L of water. Or matches + tinder+ stick+fuel. Or just a book.

So, if we carrying to much weight,, and we want to read : instead of drop one by one heavy items, just "drop the book+drop all backpack+pick up the book", and read.

For me, dropping the backpack it's :

- a question of immersion (like in reality, backpack visual when dropped)

- really fast system to just selct-keep the needed items while dropping the excedent weight (the backpack withh all the rest of items)

- possible backpack container function as actual little backpacks we found.

- a possibility these little backpacks

- the system which follows : carrying things without backpack (maybe 5kg maximum or 4 things maximum)

(sorry for my english translation here, tell me if I'm not clear).

I really like the idea of "drop backpack" but it needs to allow you to keep maybe 5KG of stuff in a separate inventory tab that isn't carried in the backpack. Lots of times I wished I could just drop everything but a few items but picking up dozens of items is a huge pain so I just don't bother or waste a lot of time going through my inventory and dropping heavy stuff that I don't need at that exact moment.

Would be an interesting feature to have backpacks as separate items in the game. The inventory would have to provide for possibilities to decide where to put something - into the backpack, a belt pouch, trousers or whatever. We could then drop the backpack and see it as an item in the game world. It would then act as a container - clicking on it would offer the options to either put it on or open it. Opening it would be like opening a drawer, we would see the content und could take things out or place new things inside (as long as there is space).

Now bears could be made to occasionally surprise and pursue a player. It might then become necessary to drop the backpack to make a getaway, and the bear would plunder it, doing a lot of damage to the contents. We would then have to return later and salvage what is left. Food would of course be gone. This could be good as a "bear attack" would not necessarily be lethal (or close to lethal), but would "cost" resources. This would allow for interesting situations imo.

7 minutes ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

You made me think to a thing : does the bear can actually smell the meat we carry?

At the moment no.

5 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Now bears could be made to occasionally surprise and pursue a player. It might then become necessary to drop the backpack to make a getaway, and the bear would plunder it, doing a lot of damage to the contents. We would then have to return later and salvage what is left. Food would of course be gone. This could be good as a "bear attack" would not necessarily be lethal (or close to lethal), but would "cost" resources. This would allow for interesting situations imo.

Now that would be really cool! Not only would it give you an option aside from "get mauled and lose x% of condition" but it would be like dropping bait with a wolf. Understandably Mr. Bear would need a lot more stuff to become distracted ;)

And welcome to the forums @Kayosiv ^_^

• 11 months later...

Would be nice if people stopped suggesting the same thing over and over again.....

And if you have something to add just reply to the original post.....

AAANNDD.... Before posting anything search the forum for your topic (it's really easy)!

On 12/14/2017 at 3:21 AM, Reahs said:

Would be nice if people stopped suggesting the same thing over and over again.....

And if you have something to add just reply to the original post.....

AAANNDD.... Before posting anything search the forum for your topic (it's really easy)!

I see no harm in re-posting ideas - I'm sure when Hinterland is reading through them, they have some way to tally (or ignore) identical requests.  And it can be difficult/time-consuming to search for similar ideas.

On 1/10/2017 at 7:02 PM, Vinceofpyrenees said:

A simple key to drop the all backpack. This backpack could be shown as an container.

On 1/11/2017 at 11:59 PM, Hotzn said:

Would be an interesting feature to have backpacks as separate items in the game.

On 12/14/2017 at 7:39 PM, Vinceofpyrenees said:

Any idea if Hinterland's team have read this subject ? I still think it is missing to the game.

Raphael responded to a question about this request on an "Ask Me Anything" session he did on Reddit just a few days ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/7kmu4e/im_raphael_van_lierop_founder_of_hinterland_and/

He said:

Yeah, that's been a request we've seen at times. We've talked about it and also the ability to drop the pack in exchange for a kind of "speed boost" when fleeing wildlife. Unfortunately our inventory system is very embedded into the guts of the game and these kinds of features would require a massive overhaul. Not sure it will happen, but I won't say "no" outright. :)

So, in short, the game doesn't treat the backpack as a container, and changing it to make it work that way would involve a massive re-write of the core game code. In other words, it's very unlikely to happen.

• 2 months later...

Archived