Wildlife diversity poll.

Bjern

Wildlife diversity  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, selfless said:

Bear in mind the Roadmap is Hinterland's Wish List.  Stuff they would like to work on.  And the times listed are what they think it would take to accomplish if they go ahead and work on them.  It is not a calendar of releases.  Example: Moose were on the roadmap when it was first posted last April.  They started working on them around August.  Signs now point to their being introduced to the game soon; about 6 months after work started. 

To date I know of no work being done on Cougars...

Yep, it would take time to add any of these creatures. I'm happy to wait, and just grateful that they are considering more wildlife, even if they don't end up adding any more - it would still be an awesome game.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:09 PM, JimmyPL56 said:

Hinterland has moose and cougars on the roadmap. I am open to adding any animals native to Western Canada that make sense and add reasonable value. Keep in mind many animals couldn't survive in this harsh environment. 

You don't mention Elk on the list, which I would like to see. Harder to bring down than deer, but more meat/guts/hide to harvest.

Let's face it man, the deer in the game practically already are elk... Not quite same size, but appearance wise...

First off, I like the idea of more wildlife, but too much added might make the game feel like a hunting game. Or change the feel of the game to something less dramatic. This could be controlled by lowering animal spawns and respawns.

This list is what I think should be in the game, but not in order.

foxes, owls, and mice: it be nice to see foxes pouncing in the snow or owls swooping down. But to see the foxes youve gotta be super quiet else they escape into a nearby inaccessible den. 

wolverines: these guys are notorious for stealing from snares and not being afraid of anything. If one moves into your trapping territory, you have no choice but to kill it, flares etc dont scare them away and they do less damage than a wolf

Moose/grizzly/Puma:

The dev team have them on the roadmap, so they definitely need to be considered 

Having different small game (hopefully being able to be trapped) can help with more clothing and crafting, especially with balancing, tuning, and the availability of different weights/nerfs for different animal clothing pieces. Also I find it odd that we don't have the option of crafting socks and hats out of pelts yet.

1 hour ago, NorseRaven99 said:

Having different small game (hopefully being able to be trapped) can help with more clothing and crafting, especially with balancing, tuning, and the availability of different weights/nerfs for different animal clothing pieces. Also I find it odd that we don't have the option of crafting socks and hats out of pelts yet.

Especially hats...

wolverineearhat.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

On 1/28/2017 at 5:01 AM, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

Let's face it man, the deer in the game practically already are elk... Not quite same size, but appearance wise...

These deer are small and do not seem to offer any danger to the survivor. In real life, even mule deer can be dangerous however elk are also even more dangerous especially the females around calves. Male moose can be extremely dangerous so I anticipate that this would make a great new game play element, a new risk.

In real life, a moose represents a tremendous resource to survive the winter. If this type of food of much greater size is added, then more attention needs to be played to the risk of decay and the techniques of preservation of the meat as well as the risk of predators stealing your meat cache. Currently raw or frozen meat is simply left outside in the snow to reduce decay. In practice, this is a good way to habituate dangerous animals to your shelter and to damage your food stocks such as by spreading disease such as rabies.

It might be interesting to add rabid wolves to the game; these wolves attack without warning while the other animals tend to be shy unless there is food or guts to attract them.

Wolves and coyotes can carry rabies as well as numerous other mammals and even birds.

Wikipedia Rabies in Animals

There's a mod for Skyrim called Automatic Variants that lets you have a pool of different skins for each creature, and the engine randomly selects from that pool to create diversity.

I'd love to see a modding toolbox that will allow the community to create something similar for TLD.  Less work for the devs to create all those skins. :)

I'd like to see Mountain Goats on some of those peaks, also an angry Mountain lion would be great too. but on the less deadly side of things  i would like to see some game birds, Grouse sounds good. its also an excuse to make shotguns more viable in game, or at least shotguns with multiple ammo types

Archived