How to survive if you looted everything?

thekillergreece

There are enough arrows for literally 20000-30000 days of hunting if you really stretch it (even with no starvation at all, easily 3000-4000 days) and even after that point you can snare rabbits forever.

Enough cloth for at least 3000-4000 days if you aren't wasteful (which most people are admitedly), and even past that you can still live off crafted clothing and only repair a hat. In reality the only thing you NEED cloth for is bandages (because if you don't have one and you start bleeding it's death), and you will occasionally get cloth from beachcombing so if you aren't really wasteful you can live forever. 

You can make fires forever with the magnifying lens.

And there isn't really any other material you 'need'; scrap metal to make Improvised Knife will last almost forever (like 10000+ days easily) and even if you did run out you can harvest carcasses by hand anyways.

You can literally live forever in this game if you play correctly, and if you do it right, it will take you over 1000 days to run out of ANYTHING (and that is assuming you do zero beach combing which can give you more cloth, saplings ect.) And by the time you run out of everything, like I said above, you can still keep living literally forever if you want, and honestly, you will be sick of playing long before that point. I can't imagine playing a save for 5000+ days which is what it would take to start feeling the 'pinch' on any resource.

Edit: Forgot about antiseptic: once you run out of that (there is a LOT of Old Mans Beard on all 6 maps combined) you can use Rei Shi instead (let the infection happen then cure it with antibiotic). Again, you have enough for literally hundreds of times, and if you are getting mauled by wolves that much in the late game it's kind of just bad play (really shouldn't be getting attacked much and not all attacks even cause the Blood Loss condition).

So yeah cloth is probably the only resource that is at all 'tight' and even that will easily last longer then you would actually care to keep playing if rationed correctly (ie don't use clothing that rips easily, use animal hide clothing for your outer layer to combat wolves ripping clothes, don't get attacked by wolves in the first place, don't run around in blizzards).

There are many places where a lens could spawn, you should be careful and inspect every nook and cranny. Sticks are everywhere and they double as fuel and tinder ;) you don't even need to use any tools to get them. As for the rabbits, you get parasites only from predator's meat so no, eating rabbit is pretty safe. You can get food poisoning from them if you eat them raw, but cooking them will keep you safe from that.

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone made it 2000-3000 days? The longest I have heard of is 500-something.

I'm on day 220-something (stalker).... I still have looted resources but remember you need to use your knife/hatchet which will wear out, and you need cloth to forge them.

The whetstones wear out, so do the magnifying lens and firestriker. I'm not sure there is anything that would replace these indefinitely. I think they should last pretty much forever.

I was disappointed we can't make hats with rabbit....that would have been a good addition.  Any clothing item should be craft-able with animal resources, and I hope this is incorporated. Maybe even bandages from deer hide....we do need a cloth replacement, magnifying lenses/firestrikers should not degrade, nor should whetstones. With that, you could survive indefinitely. Unless you run out of scrap metal but that might take forever.

On 1/18/2017 at 11:18 AM, stapeliad said:

has anyone made it 2000-3000 days? The longest I have heard of is 500-something.

Check out Drifterman's 1000 days in the Dam.  Its a locked thread, but still exists.  One of his last entries is a chart about how things degrade currently.  He's the longest running game that I know of and has oodles of info, including best way to hunt deer with a bow and arrow.

And rabbit hats would be grand.

Houses do not degrade - You have infinite warmth

Beds do not degrade - You have infinite rest

Wood respawns and magnifying lens never degrades - You have inifinite water and cooking

Snares are renewable - You have inifinite food

That said there is soooooo much loot. AFAIK no long run has ever ended due to limited resources.

I think they used to wear out.  My game was started several game versions ago. 

I started using the magnifying glass more and it doesn't degrade but I think it used to.

Keep in mind you need to harvest the animals for food which requires a blade (whetstone==wears out-- or forge==which needs cloth)

14 minutes ago, stapeliad said:

Keep in mind you need to harvest the animals for food which requires a blade (whetstone==wears out-- or forge==which needs cloth)

You can harvest them by hand!  In fact, I try to do that whenever I can (carcass isn't frozen, and I am not freezing to death or other affliction, so the extra time isn't a factor).  Saves your tools for times when you're in a real hurry.

I think one of the considerations for long term is temperature, doesn't the temp drop over time?  And I believe game gets less frequent over time as well.  Mind you, this is probably far more noticeable on the more difficult levels.  Or am I getting future plans mixed up with current game again?

9 hours ago, ArmagedDan said:

You can harvest them by hand!  In fact, I try to do that whenever I can (carcass isn't frozen, and I am not freezing to death or other affliction, so the extra time isn't a factor).  Saves your tools for times when you're in a real hurry.

Heck, master carcass harvesting doesn't even limit you to an unfrozen carcass.

21 hours ago, ArmagedDan said:

Also by the time knifes become a problem you should probably have harvesting at level 5 which lets you harvest 100% frozen carcasses by hand.

8 hours ago, stapeliad said:

Huh.

Now I shall have to harvest by hand, just because I CAN! ;D

But unless you survive on sticks alone, you still need a hatchet...and to forge that requires cloth....

Isn't the knife necessary for crafting clothing?

Well, you CAN survive that way.  Sticks and coal are the two endlessly respawning fuel types that require no tools to harvest.  It's kind of the "Interloper Model", since tools are excruciatingly scarce in that mode.  For forging those hatchets though, there are mountains of scrap metal and cloth - remember that you can harvest curtains and towels in many houses for a huge supply, then trawl the shoreline in CH for lucky finds indefinitely.  I've never actually even come close to running out.

And nope, just need sewing kits or fishing tackle for crafting clothing.  A knife can speed up gathering those furs, but isn't strictly necessary, especially at higher harvesting skill levels.  When you suddenly become able to grab a wolfsicle and hulk the eff out, shattering it into neat piles of useful consumer goods.  ;D

11 hours ago, stapeliad said:

Huh.

Now I shall have to harvest by hand, just because I CAN! ;D

But unless you survive on sticks alone, you still need a hatchet...and to forge that requires cloth....

Isn't the knife necessary for crafting clothing?

You need a knife or ax (takes forever) to craft a wolfskin coat, bearskin coat or bearskin bedroll.  Sewing kit or line to craft rabbitskin mittens, deerskin boots and pants.

Archived