Doomed at the bottom of the ravine

Ryal

Greetings, Hinterland!

During a recent session, I was walking from Coastal Highway to Mystery Lake. I had just finished crossing the train trestle when I heard crows but could not see them as I looked around until I peered down to the bottom of the canyon. I was pretty sure I saw a corpse, and there was an additional train car of a different color that I didn't remembering seeing before!

I excitedly assumed that the presence of those objects indicated that there were things to do down there, now. So I carefully and cautiously made my way down from cliff to cliff. One wrong move sent me plummeting but did not kill me. I feel like it should have, though, because I lost 93% all at once. Perhaps the new clothing system prevented me from perishing? That's besides the point, but it may be something else to look into if you intend to keep explorers away from this area.

Eventually I did manage to get to the bottom, but I was unable to leave the spot where I landed. There were plenty of logs for me to climb, but I could not walk on them normally. Nothing was in the way, but I was pushed off each time as if there were something physically blocking me. 

In a future update, could the terrain of the ravine's floor be altered so that anyone lucky enough to reach the ravine's bottom can more easily get around? (even if they won't get out again.) Alternatively, if players really are not supposed to be poking around down there, then a different implementation of character death might be in order, and preventing a corpse from spawning at the bottom of the canyon wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

In any case, I have included a screenshot of my character looking straight up at the tree bridge near the waterfall at the ravine's floor. This save file is still active if you need me to take different screen shots.

screen_(-779, 21, -165)_5c96b2be-2e5a-4d21-8b09-554ccd4eb586.png

Actually this is a great example of the unique thing that makes TLD great. You learn by dying :) People always complain about things using the "realism argument", but only to make things more convenient or easier. In that example, TLD just shows how realistic the game is. I mean, how stupid is it to climb down a cliff, nobody would do this.

The story reminds me of Aron Ralston's. But you fall down a slot canyon and get stuck intentionally only to complain why there is no stairs to let you get back up easily. And all that in a surival situation where you are constantly dying from hunger, thirst, cold and wildlife anyway.

You make a wrong decision and you die, that's it. Next time you know better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2017 at 2:12 AM, MueckE said:

In that example, TLD just shows how realistic the game is. I mean, how stupid is it to climb down a cliff, nobody would do this.

Actually... I did that, on purpose, in the challenge: The Hunted, Part One. I was tired of dying and figured I'd rather die from a fall, than a bear. To my surprise, I lived, unscathed! :D I've done it at least 8 times now, and it works every time.

Archived