Additional info on the TAB screen

Silverhour

Since pressing the TAB button doesn't pause or interrupt game play I use it a lot to keep track of my status on the fly. What would be nice is if on that overlay it gave a few more additional bits of information. I would like to know my weight status without having to open my inventory, for one thing. If I'm deciding whether it's worth picking something up I have to check my inventory screen, which requires additional clicks/keystrokes. Sometimes seconds matter so small delays like that can add up. Just put the same info that's at the top of the inventory menu, the X / 30 kg, on the TAB screen as well.

Also the TAB display could give us a reminder of recent 'warning' watermarks, such as the Hypothermia and Frostbite one-time warnings. It's not like you would feel these sensations and then completely dismiss them until they become full-blown problems. Again, the SPACEBAR radial menu is available but it requires additional open and close clicks/keystrokes. Or even to document the occasional audio reminder such as when they say 'I can't feel my hands.' or 'Surrounded by snow, and nothing to drink.' I know they can come up as on screen text so it would be nice to also see the past 4 or 5 as a quick reminder of what has happened recently.

Any other thoughts? I don't want the TAB screen to become so cluttered that it obscures the gameplay, as it's a nice quick reminder of current status, but it does feel like it's missing some important info.

7 minutes ago, Silverhour said:

Also the TAB display could give us a reminder of recent 'warning' watermarks, such as the Hypothermia and Frostbite one-time warnings.

I'd like to see something behaving like the orange/red cross icon in the radial menu. Right now the cross icon is displayed on the bottom left corner of the screen only when it's red (affliction present) but not when there's only a risk: it would be nice if the overlay icon appeared in orange for risks, in addition to the red cross for afflictions that's already present, and maybe an half orange half red cross when both risk and affliction are present. A simple way to keep a constant reminder on screen without cluttering the interface.

5 hours ago, Silverhour said:

Since pressing the TAB button doesn't pause or interrupt game play I use it a lot to keep track of my status on the fly. What would be nice is if on that overlay it gave a few more additional bits of information. I would like to know my weight status without having to open my inventory, for one thing. If I'm deciding whether it's worth picking something up I have to check my inventory screen, which requires additional clicks/keystrokes. Sometimes seconds matter so small delays like that can add up. Just put the same info that's at the top of the inventory menu, the X / 30 kg, on the TAB screen as well.

Also the TAB display could give us a reminder of recent 'warning' watermarks, such as the Hypothermia and Frostbite one-time warnings. It's not like you would feel these sensations and then completely dismiss them until they become full-blown problems. Again, the SPACEBAR radial menu is available but it requires additional open and close clicks/keystrokes. Or even to document the occasional audio reminder such as when they say 'I can't feel my hands.' or 'Surrounded by snow, and nothing to drink.' I know they can come up as on screen text so it would be nice to also see the past 4 or 5 as a quick reminder of what has happened recently.

Any other thoughts? I don't want the TAB screen to become so cluttered that it obscures the gameplay, as it's a nice quick reminder of current status, but it does feel like it's missing some important info.

I have always wanted to be able to quickly check my weight, so that is a great idea, as well as the watermarks. As for the recent comments, I feel that may clutter the screen too much. Especially because the quips reflect your condition, which you can already check with TAB. But weight would especially be good on your condition

Archived