Quick Question(s) About Clothing

Barretts Privateer

There's no single answer to that question. It's all give and take. For example: deerskin boots are less restrictive (less sprint reduction) than insulated boots, but they aren't quite as warm. I'm not sure which holds up to daily wear and tear better, but there's also the repair aspect to consider. With cured leather readily available, it's less cumbersome to carry around a piece of cured leather (or not and assume you'll find something to harvest in another area), compared to a cured deer hide and gut, along with your sewing kit. On the other hand, much of the crafted gear is warmer, more water resistant, and tougher (higher defense), but often more restrictive and heavier. So, it all comes down to a matter of thinking about these different aspects and making choices depending on your needs/goals for the day(s) ahead; there's no longer a single 'ultimate' set of gear.

Edit: Updated for recent hotfixes to clothing and added link to spreadsheet

What the best clothing item is depends on exactly what you want, but as a guideline (balancing weight and temperature bonus and durability):

Best 'overall' clothing by slot:

Stalker/Voyageur/Pilgrim

Hat (Head Slot): Wool Toque or Balaclava (it's pretty rare) (2x)

Jacket (Chest Slot): Expedition Parka (2x), or you can use a Wolfskin Jacket as an outer layer with Parka beneath to save on cloth/more protection.

Sweater (Chest Slot): Fisherman's Sweater (2x)

Gloves (Hands Slot): Rabbitskin Mitts

Pants (Legs Slot): Snow Pants as the overlayer, Combat Pants or 2nd Snow Pants as the underlayer. Can use Deerskin Pants as overlayer for more protection/to save cloth from clothing damage but at the cost of weight efficiency. 

Underwear (Legs Slot): Wool Longjohns (2x)

Socks (Feet Slot): Climbing Socks (2x)

Boots (Feet Slot): Deerskin Boots. You can use Mukluks or Insulated Boots to save a bit of weight, but they give less protection and cost Leather + Cloth to repair so their lifetime and utility is limited. Haven't seen new Ski Boots yet however.

Accessory (Extra Slot): Wool Ear Muffs (2x)

Total: +33C/+14C 11.25kg if clothing is all at 100% (Written as Temperature/Windchill Weight)

If you want to go light at the cost of warmth and more cloth usage for repairs, get rid of the 2nd jacket (or even both jackets and only wear a sweater), swap Rabbitskin Mitts for Wool Mitts, get rid of the 2nd pair of pants, and swap Deerskin Boots for Insulated Boots (or Mukluks), as those are the biggest weight efficiency gains you can make without completely trashing your temperature bonus. This gives you a total of +26.5C/+12.5C and 7.6kg weight which is actually pretty comparable to the pre Resolute Outfitter clothing values, so after this hotfix you can finally actually say that clothing has not just been globally nerfed.

For posterity the old BiS 'stalker setup' was +26.5C/+14C 8.65kg.

Edit: Obviously you could make a more efficient 'light set' then this, but the reason you kind of dont want to? To conserve cloth. You don't want to waste your time with a bunch of different sets of clothes as they will just all be degrading all the time and you will be constantly repairing them, and extremely light clothing tends to degrade MUCH faster then the heavier clothes, so it is never, for example, worth it to use Sports Socks to save weight (as they degrade super fast even when not worn much) over Wool/Climbing Socks. Jeans are similar; they degrade very fast compared to the heavier/higher quality pants. Thermal Underwear degrades faster then Wool Longjohns, ect ect. So while yes you could obviously shed more weight for a super lightweight set of clothing, the reality is maintaining all these sets is not worth the resource cost for the tiny benefit as those additional sets will likely require almost as much if not more cloth to keep repaired then the 'main set' you are wearing most of the time just due to their naturally faster degradation rates.

I'd go into the details of this more but this post is already huge.

Sweater reasoning: Cowichan sweater is twice as heavy and only slightly warmer.

Pants slot reasoning: Combat pants are more weight efficient but have terrible windchill reduction (so make a terrible outer layer as only the outer layer's windchill protection is counted), but you can run 2x Snow Pants as well.

Boots reasoning: The ski boots do provide more warmth, but the reality is all the other boots take Cured Leather to repair which is in very limited supply. To put it simply; it's more effective and efficient to get a bunch of deer hides and repair the Deerskin Boots inefficiently (ie at 80-90%), then to repair stuff like the Ski Boots/Insulated Boots at 50-70% with your limited supply of Cured Leather as they will be providing much less warmth at that point due to condition loss. Also the ski boots have an absurd 20% sprint penalty (haven't seen post hotfix but it's probably still at least 15%) which is hard to ignore.

You can get almost all these clothes (other then crafted ones and the Snow/Combat pants) from TWM cargo crates (summit + the crates on the cliff just in front of the Cabin).

Note that the way frostbite works is there are 5 slots: Head, Chest, Hands, Legs, and Feet. As long as you are wearing at least one item in each of those slots (so you could be wearing underwear + socks in the legs and feet slot if you want), you won't get frostbite, unless those items get wet (so it's still better to wear waterproof boots over just socks).

Also, only the windchill protection from the outermost item in each slot is counted. So if you are wearing Deerskin Boots + Climbing Socks, the windchill protection of the Climbing socks has ZERO effect unless you take the boots off as they are both 'Feet Slot' items. This means only 5-6 items (accessory is it's own slot) at a time can actually count their windchill protection. This also means all the +0.5 temp +1 windchill sweaters are pretty useless in most cases, as you will almost always be wearing a jacket over them anyways.

The protection is also like windchill; only the outermost item in each slot counts. So the protection on stuff like Wool Longjohns only matters if you aren't actually wearing any pants. And waterproof is the same (only outer layer gets wet from snow, and if you fall through ice, all your clothes are 100% wet regardless of waterproof amount). However sprint reduction is always counted even if it is an underlayer (obviously).

Interloper:

Hat: (Head Slot) Wool Toque (2x)

Jacket: (Chest Slot) Bearskin Jacket outer layer + Wolfskin Coat inner layer

Sweater: (Chest Slot) Thin Wool Sweater (2x)

Gloves: (Hands Slot) Rabbitskin Mitts

Pants: (Legs Slot) Deerskin Pants + Jeans, or just Deerskin Pants 2x if you don't mind a ton of weight/want to save cloth

Underwear: (Legs Slot) Thermal Underwear (2x) (GL getting 2 pairs on Interloper)

Socks: (Feet Slot) Wool Socks (2x) (GL getting 2 pairs on Interloper)

Boots: (Feet Slot) Deerskin Boots

Accessory: (Extra Slot) None available on Interloper AFAIK

Total: +26.5C/12C 15.5kg if clothing is all at 100%. Still 7kg heavier then the BiS Interloper setup pre Resolute Outfitter but with similar temp values, so clothing is still overall nerfed on Interloper unlike Stalker post hotfix. But it's a lot more reasonable now then before the hotfixes.

With the recent hotfixes to clothing, there actually is a legitimate 'lightweight' set for Interloper now that doesn't completely sacrifice all temperature bonus. You would swap to 2x Ski Jackets (or Wolfskin Outer layer, Ski Jacket Inner layer if you wanted to still save cloth at the cost of weight), swap your gloves for Wool Mitts (they only weight 0.1kg now), and swap pants to 2x Jeans. I would still keep the Deerskin Boots as the Leather Shoes/Running Shoes are expensive to repair (1 leather for 20% repair, and leather is EXTREMELY rare on Interloper) and not even twice as weight efficient. This setup gives you: +18.5C/+5.5C 7.1kg weight.

Or just go for the full on 'I only care about frostbite' setup: Only wear a Wool Scarf, Thin Wool Sweater (or any shirt really), Wool Mitts, Thermal Underwear and Leather Shoes. Or just go outright naked. Obviously these setups are full on 'I am going to treat my condition % as my temperature bar' mode.

A further note on 'cloth efficiency'. I harp on this a lot, but basically only the outer layer takes damage from wind/blizzards/animal attacks (note that you take some minor outer layer clothing damage from any wolf struggle even if there wasn't explicitly a 'torn clothing' event). This means that whatever your outermost item in each slot is, it will usually degrade noticeably faster on average unless you are extremely careful. This is why I generally recommend crafted clothing as the outer layer (the other reason is it gives way more protection), even if it isn't always super weight efficient. However, if you are not planning to play your save for a long period of time/don't care about resource efficiency, you can feel free to wear whatever the most efficient item is, even if it takes cloth to repair as it probably won't matter to you.

Anyways this post ended up turning into more of a mini guide. Sorry for the length but this should get you started and explain the clothing system a little better for anyone who isn't aware of some of the details.

Link to spreadsheet with (most) clothing items information post hotfix, pre hotfix, and pre Resolute Outfitter

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E2T8VW-AHlSUhhUjsVEiA8oWb6DWL60fTy__T_s_lkk/edit?usp=sharing

Yeah well looks like in the latest hotfixes they adjusted clothing a LOT. Actually buffed the Wolfskin Jacket MORE then I wanted (I wanted it to just lose a KG of weight, but it actually lost a KG and gained +1/+2 temp bonus). A lot of changes to a lot of items. Going to have to do more checking. In general clothing weight is way down and protection values went up.

So might need to update this a little.

So I ran a few Pilgrim games through Coastal Highway to check out clothing changes. The only item of note I missed AFAIK is the Ski Boots (they are very rare in my experience) so that is the only big question mark for me.

Overall changes:

-Most items have slightly more protection value

-The heavier items were reduced in weight overall (Notable: Wool Toque 0.5 to 0.25, Wolfskin Coat 4 to 3, Expedition Parka 2 to 1.5, Insulated Boots/Mukluks from 2 to 1.5, most gloves other then Rabbitskin Mitts weigh FAR less now)

-Higher end jackets give much more windchill protection then before

-The crafted jackets are way better. Bearskin Coat went from +5/+3 5kg to +6/+5 5kg. Wolfskin Coat from +3/+2 4kg to +4/+4 3kg and they both gained a few % protection

-The other crafted clothing didn't change other then a few % more protection each, so it has become relatively less weight efficient due to buffs to other clothes.

Updated my large post with updated information for this patch (a few recommendations changed, most notably Interloper has a lot more options).

Less changes in this game every update then people think. Generally it's just one major adjustment per patch, and it doesn't take very long to figure it out (usually under 1 hour of trying out the patch). Most of the new mechanics (like Cabin Fever) don't really have much effect on gameplay anyways (people love to overreact whenever anything changes in any game in my experience, but at this point I'm talking way outside the scope of TLD).

3 hours ago, Troxism said:

Yeah well looks like in the latest hotfixes they adjusted clothing a LOT.

As the resident clothing geek, can you perhaps answer a question for me, please?

The description of the blue Mariner's coat says that is it gets very heavy when it's wet, but I haven't noticed any changes in weight according to wetness. Do you know whether this actually happens, and whether some clothing items absorb more water (therefore weight) than others?

I haven't looked at that sort of thing (because honestly I haven't ever really gotten my clothing significantly wet other then by falling through ice on purpose). But from my very limited observation, the weight increase from items getting wet doesn't start till they get more then slightly wet, and is a % increase (I think about 50% of the original weight extra at 100% wet/frozen). Note that it also seems like the waterproof % of an item (or maybe this is just a set value per item) affects how much warmth it gives when it gets wet; items with 0% waterproof seem to give +0/+0 when fully wet, while items with some waterproofing seem to give some limited amount of protection still. In general getting items wet first only reduces their windchill protection, then only as it gets really wet starts to reduce the general temperature bonus as well. Also just from observation, waterproof literally works as '50% waterproof literally means it takes 2x as long to get the same % wet as a 0% waterproof item'.

You could test this pretty easily by just getting some clothes and dunking into the water on purpose in a test game to check these things. But this isn't a super relevant thing, as it's almost impossible to get your clothing significantly wet in normal game play in my experience (outside of falling through ice or only wearing things like Sports Socks that get wet super easily), and when it's 100% wet and you are freezing with hypothermia, I don't think it matters too much the extra weight increase (as you are heading for shelter ASAP at that point).

So I did a little testing. Seems like up to +25% weight regardless of item (I only tested 1 set I was wearing, so maybe some items work differently but it's unlikely) if you get them fully wet, then it keeps going up to +50% at 100% frozen as it freezes. The temperature bonus was inconsistent, some items were 0C, some had some bonus. I don't think it's tied to waterproofing, but maybe it's just a flat temperature penalty for being wet (as warmer items seemed to still retain some bonus). At 100% frozen, all items had +0/+0. So yeah, it's likely just that it 'first takes windchill protection', then starts working on the 'general temperature bonus' as the item gets wet/freezes, but idk the exact formula there (and honestly it would be a pain to test and not worth the trouble as it has almost no relevance to practical gameplay to know this (if your clothing is really wet you should be making a fire/going to shelter).

Edit: Added link to a clothing spreadsheet in the big post.

• 7 months later...

Some  respectable thermal underwear for a start , fighting style trousers , thick socks , a pair of respectable  footwear not coach as they will get wet quickly , on top of the thermal vest wear a t shirt then a sweater ,

you can get thermal gloves these days which are flexible to work in ,

just a side note if you are doing a physical job don't wear to many layers as you will regret it

I agree with Troxism's set up, I'm only missing another wool ear wrap, snow pants, and a second pair of longjohns to complete my set. An expedition parka would be nice too.

I have run a few tests of my own, some are still on going. I thought I'd share just to give an update to where we are.

One interesting finding was that the inner layer (i.e. touching skin) seems to degrade a bit faster than the outer. For instance, with two pairs of socks, the leftmost pair lost condition faster. Also, removing items and just carrying them can save on wear, if that's a concern, but not as much as storing them indoors as far as I can tell. So wearing flimsier items on the slot nearest to the body might help to make them last a bit longer. Note: the hat slots are reversed for some reason, so the rightmost is worn on top of the left as far as I can tell, but I'm not sure which degrades faster because a wolf tried to eat it mid-test. 

I'm testing now to see which items have the longest lifespan and therefore fewer repairs. With regards to weight:warmth, the best items seem to be wool tuques, followed by wool ear wraps, fisherman's sweaters, wool longjohns, and climbing socks. All get 4 deg/kg except the hats which get 8 deg/kg. Coats, pants, shoes, and gloves are all generally lower, but I go with the furs for the waterproof and near bulletproof qualities, plus repairs are arguably easier since all furs but the bear are renewable (assuming you run out of ammo completely and have to resort to snares/stones/wolf killed deer/wolf fights). Honestly though, even though cloth is technically limited, it's pretty abundant, so it's personal preference really.

Something else to consider is that I suspect wear is tied to weight: this might mean that by wearing only lightweight gear you end up using more cloth. I will confirm later if I can. Coats generally seem pretty bad all round: heavy, double repair cost, and not much warmth for the weight. I usually just wear the wolf coat for the bonus wolf scare chance. I'm currently testing the ski jacket to see how it fares.

Lastly I can confirm that the Ski Boots are horrible. I found my first pair at the Hunting Lodge in BR, and they weigh 4kg! No way was I carrying that. That, plus the massive mobility penalty means I don't think they are very viable.

A quick update on some clothing tests.

• I was wrong about innermost layers decaying quicker - must have been a coincidence
  • Fisherman's sweaters are my new favourite item - they last over 400 days total
  • Combat pants are also amazing, lasting for over 250 days total
  • Wool longjohns and climbing socks are pretty damn good too, they last 170+ days
  • The furs are comparably good, but mine degraded quicker than I'd hoped because of weather and wolf damage (but protected the more valuable under layers well)
  • Headgear is by far the worst, lasting maybe 50 days max. I've started removing them whenever I can.

Hopefully people find that useful. Numbers are based on continual wear, I repair at 80% usually so divide by 5 for approx days between repairs.

General rule of thumb: the craftable leather clothes are all fairly good, they provide generally the most protection against animals and a decent protection against wetness, but they will restrict the movement a lot. Of course all clothes are a bit different. Also, they are all very heavy, and get even much heavier as they get wet.

And yes, expedition parka is well worth carrying around. It provides big boosts with little nerfs and a lot of temperature boost.

I personally reccomend carrying 1 expedition parka in the "inner" slot, and a crafted coat, be it either wolfskin or bearskin, on the top. This means your crafted clothes get the most damage, from wind and animal attacks, and your valuable parka gives you boost in exchange of slow degradation. 

2 parkas are good to carry around if you want warm clothes on and light inventory, since they are very warm and rather light item, but if you were to get attacked, they will be damaged quite a bit.

Archived