Nerf water on Interlopper

exeexe

I feel like on Interlopper its very unlikely that u can carry 5 liter of water. Like where is the container for that? I mean its ok on other difficult levels because there it is easier but on interlopper i think if u wanna be able to make 5 liter of water and carry it you should find items that makes it possible. So on Interlopper it should initially only be possible to have 2 liters of water on you unless you find some kind of container.

15 minutes ago, exeexe said:

I feel like on Interlopper its very unlikely that u can carry 5 liter of water. Like where is the container for that? I mean its ok on other difficult levels because there it is easier but on interlopper i think if u wanna be able to make 5 liter of water and carry it you should find items that makes it possible. So on Interlopper it should initially only be possible to have 2 liters of water on you unless you find some kind of container.

Just to follow your suggestion and line of thinking -- what do you imagine you are storing the 2 liters in? (versus 5 liters for example) 

I don't really like this idea. I think that it would just add unnecessary inventory management which would not make the game more fun in any way. I operate under the assumption that there are plenty of containers lying around in every structure but the game is abstracting them away.

3 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Just to follow your suggestion and line of thinking -- what do you imagine you are storing the 2 liters in? (versus 5 liters for example) 

Well there are 2 types of containers. Mobile and imobile. Immobile can be toilets and bathtubs. Mobile can be ... thermos cause if made by plastic it would just melt if they get boiling water in them. One thermo would be 1 liter. But if you have liquid water in a thermo and its full it could take dmg if it got too cold. So you would have to keep an eye on that aswell.

The thing i would be worrying about if this got real is that since u cant make much water per fire you will have to use more matches and thus running out of matches faster.

Problem is you need about 2-2.5L of water per day on Interloper (depending on what you are eating), about 30% more then other modes (just an estimate). Even 5L isn't actually all that much if you are going on a trip and don't want to waste matches boiling water along the way (adding the bow drill would help a ton with this issue) because you have no guarantee there will be lens weather.

I agree it doesn't make much sense to poof bottles out of thin air to store water in, but it would be a little awkward to implement such limits with no other changes.

On 1/7/2017 at 3:48 PM, exeexe said:

Well there are 2 types of containers. Mobile and imobile. Immobile can be toilets and bathtubs. Mobile can be ... thermos cause if made by plastic it would just melt if they get boiling water in them. One thermo would be 1 liter. But if you have liquid water in a thermo and its full it could take dmg if it got too cold. So you would have to keep an eye on that aswell.

The thing i would be worrying about if this got real is that since u cant make much water per fire you will have to use more matches and thus running out of matches faster.

When you write "you can't make that much water per fire" what do you mean? Which enough fuel you should be able to boil off a fair amount currently. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

When you write "you can't make that much water per fire" what do you mean? Which enough fuel you should be able to boil off a fair amount currently. 

I think he was trying to say that with his idea in place you wouldn't be able to as easily make as much water per fire (since you would be additionally limited by available containers).

1 minute ago, sarudak said:

I think he was trying to say that with his idea in place you wouldn't be able to as easily make as much water per fire (since you would be additionally limited by available containers).

I see -- I wasn't connecting the two clauses in exeexe's comment -- yes, such a chance would switch up the way we look at the usefulness of fires, no matter how long they keep burning. Thanks. 

On 10/1/2017 at 1:22 AM, togg said:

It was discussed before. changing the water/food management would require a big rethinking of a lot of things. I'm not against it but it's not the first thing I would rush to change.

Yes i know. But now interlopper is here. And this change was only for interlopper

12 hours ago, exeexe said:

Yes i know. But now interlopper is here. And this change was only for interlopper

I'm generally not in favour of having completely different mechanics between game modes. I don't really like that the parasites affliction doesn't affect Voyageur games, in principle, but I don't play Voyageur ever these days so I normally wouldn't mention it.

Requiring the player to find water containers in Interloper but not in other modes is not a good idea, in my opinion - it's too much of a difference. I do like the idea of it as an gameplay improvement, however - I think the current system is too abstract for my taste - but if it's applied, I think it should be applied across all Experience Modes.

On 08/01/2017 at 5:37 AM, exeexe said:

So on Interlopper it should initially only be possible to have 2 liters of water on you unless you find some kind of container.

I like the idea put forward by @Vortex for crafted water sacks :

and also like some of the other ideas in this thread like melting pots and larger immovable water storage in certain places.

In real life, the availability of containers is a very real concern. I like the idea of having water containers and start off with a one litre canteen and then add a bucket and other things. Also it would add realism to have a container for melting water too. Extra containers would weigh you down for travel but if there were a sled, it would be easier to make trips with lots of materials. The sled should have a limited capacity, say 50 kg. It's a major game change but we've had major changes before. You might wish to make a POLL to gather support or judge the opposition. The old hands will likely oppose changes while survivalists might think it adds great realism and additional challenge to the game. More challenge is good. More to think about; more compromises that must be made.

Archived