Two very simple time saving buttons

Kayosiv

Having just reached my 50th day in game I have been wanting 2 buttons and I have been wanting them bad.

I want a "Sleep until rested" button and a "eat and drink" button.

Every time I have to sleep I have to click that arrow 6-10 times to set the hours. Even if it stayed to the last amount you slept last time it would be helpful, but I think "Sleep until Rested" makes a lot of sense.

Every time I eat, my water level plummets. I have to click food, then click on water. I'm 99% of the time I'm going to want to drink water right after I eat food. I wish I had an "Eat and Drink" button that just did both at the same time. You can even grey out the button if you don't have enough potable water to bring you to full hydration.

A sleep until rested button could be dangerous if one haphazardly presses the button and there is no cancel, which leads the character freezing to death.

To be honest I can not figure out how the player is able to wake up in middle of his sleep. Does he have an alarmclock on him?

Bodily disturbances would wake one up (e.g. hunger and thirst, pain...) but waking up by setting a time feels strange.

There are SO many things that can kill you if you don't cancel them already. I actually would like a "cancel task" type function built into the interface. I didn't realize I could hit escape to cancel my current action until like day 4 into the game and I discovered it by accident.

• 2 weeks later...

I could do with a sleep until rested button but I'd rather see that the game remembs my last choice for hours to sleep. As I will often go to bed when it gets too dark to do anything and sleep for 10-11 hours if I'm tired enough. But I want to get up at first light even if I'm not fully rested yet.

A button to "eat and drink" is not something I would need. I generally eat multiple pieces of food before drinking. So the action of selecting a drink and pressing a button is not so bad and I will probably accidentally hit the "eat" button anyway for the last piece of food.

But I don't mind if a "eat and drink" button is added so long as the "eat" button is not replaced by it, so just eating without drinking is still an option. Or else you would always have to wait until you finished drinking after eating.

On 1/7/2017 at 9:00 PM, Don Honas said:

A sleep until rested button could be dangerous if one haphazardly presses the button and there is no cancel, which leads the character freezing to death.

To be honest I can not figure out how the player is able to wake up in middle of his sleep. Does he have an alarmclock on him?

Bodily disturbances would wake one up (e.g. hunger and thirst, pain...) but waking up by setting a time feels strange.

What happened to the "You woke up freezing" mechanic? I literally just died in this very way! Does it not exist any more, or did I do something wrong?

But I agree with the idea that the player should have less control over how much they sleep, especially if the character is exhausted. I like the idea of the character waking up due to pain or hunger or thirst as well (toilet is the other obvious one, but that's not in the game, so no matter!).

As a side-note: I recently observed the rest penalty due to starvation (ie. your maximum rest level is decreased incrementally when you continue to starve for long periods of time). I think this should be much more prominent, probably kicking in as soon as you start starving, rather than just taking effect when you've lost 30-40% condition. I also think it should remain for longer after you do start eating again, to act as more of a deterrent to abusing the starvation/recovery mechanics; perhaps it could negatively affect your warmth as well?

2 hours ago, Pillock said:

What happened to the "You woke up freezing" mechanic? I literally just died in this very way! Does it not exist any more, or did I do something wrong?

It is dependent on the experience level. Stalker and above (if I remember right) does not provide you with the "wake up freezing" safety net.

And yes, starvation should reduce all of the functions a body can do. You're cannibalizing your muscles for resources at that point, homeostasis is way off, and you'd feel constantly miserable. One of my big hopes for the game is to ditch cabin fever (or change it drastically) and implement some sort of realistic (or realistic in the context of the game) starvation mechanic. No, you wouldn't starve from missing a meal or even a day or two of meals. Skip a week though while doing strenuous physical activity and you'd be in serious trouble.

1 minute ago, cekivi said:

Stalker and above (if I remember right) does not provide you with the "wake up freezing" safety net.

Thanks. That would explain it.

On the starvation penalty: I didn't eat for two days and nights due to being trapped in the Blizzard Valley radio hut by the weather. Lost about 40% condition solely due to starvation, and the rest bar was penalized to about 60% of maximum, meaning I couldn't sleep for more than about 5 hours at a time. But as soon as I started eating again, the sleep restriction disappeared really fast and I was able to recoup all the lost condition more-or-less as normal. It could definitely be made harsher, in my opinion.

Archived