Subsistence

Has anyone played this game yet? might be fun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/418030/

Subsistence is a sandbox, first person, open-world survival game (currently only singleplayer, with multiplayer in development). Struggle to build a base and gear-up in the hostile environment. Defend yourself from wildlife and AI hunters (who also build bases in the world).

• 4 weeks later...

I have and I must say it is way better then it looks. I think that only one developer stands behind this project and he has done exceptional job. Off course you can not compare it to TLD which is way more polished and feels like already finished game, however Hinterland can  still pick up a few tips here and there. 

For example I love that before the wolf attacks if you crouch with a shotgun just before it attacks you can make a head shot and kill it instantly but you must time it right or else you risk receiving some serious damage. maybe we could do something similar in TLD when you know that you can't escape at least prepare for a fight receive some bonus or chance to critical hit when you are prepared to face the wolf . Also a lot has been added, instead of just barely surviving by looting bags you can now farm, raise animals, drill for water install solar panels and so on... basically lots of paths to choose I wish that TLD had farming too but we have to wait for spring sandbox I guess.

There is also a permadeath option which I love but the animals are hard to get away from which is somewhat unpleasant experience.  There are also hunters NPCs which will shoot you on sight and are sometimes in groups which means get the hell out.  If you watch them from afar you can notice that they do the same things that you do, collect wood build bases which feels very natural like you are playing with other players. I would love to see the same in TLD too NPCs which feel natural. I am sure that Hinterland will do even better job with their NPCs but it never hurts to draw inspiration from other projects.

In conclusion I can say Subsistence is way better then it looks, given the fact that only one person works on it he has achieved much and should be rewarded with your attention.   I think that the devs in hinterland should hire him to help with spring sandbox.  That would be awesome. :) 

Archived