Little nuances.

Theron90

Hello, gonna start with I love this game. Lost entire day when I downloaded the alpha. I do have some hopefully useful feedback on realism. I grew up in rural northern Alaska in a tribe/village. Practically every home or place of work in the north has some kind of wood fire stove or chimney. Not to mention guns were plentiful in every home. You'd be hard press not to find these. 

I fully agree that fireplaces/stoves would probably be a bit more prevalent. It's not likely that all these little cabins and logging trailers wouldn't have some form of heating. Though the propane tanks on the outside of the trailers would seem to have that covered, so, it's not unreasonable in that case. The small cabins though, they don't seem to have anything, which seems unlikely.

A higher prevalence of rifles though, that I don't think is reasonable. Clearly, most of the people got out some time before/right after the event and of all the things that might get forgotten/accidentally left behind, guns wouldn't be near the top of the list. Besides, how many rifles do you need anyway? Having a couple is reasonable if you've scoured all the maps. You're going to run out of bullets long before cleaning kits and rifles.

Agreed with SteelFire - even when you're not playing the obviously-scoured-clean Interloper, you the player are clearly showing up after the panic and rout.  What you're scrounging up is the stuff that was left behind, too big to fit in the family car, forgotten or simply disregarded.  I like that one of the places you can find a rifle is in the backseat of a car on Coastal Highway, for instance.  When you find it in a home, it tends to be what look like vacation homes or hunting cabins; the owners probably never got back there to retrieve that rifle. 

There probably were a boatload of Enfields around, and they bugged out along with their owners to parts unknown.

Welcome to the forums @Theron90 ;)

While more fireplaces would make sense some of the locations where they are conspicuously absent are either a result of alternative heat (e.g. propane in the logging trailers) or due to not being intended for winter habitation (e.g. summer camps on Mystery Lake).

44 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Welcome to the forums @Theron90 ;)

While more fireplaces would make sense some of the locations where they are conspicuously absent are either a result of alternative heat (e.g. propane in the logging trailers) or due to not being intended for winter habitation (e.g. summer camps on Mystery Lake).

Still though, every cabin I ever stayed in had a woodstove for cooking as well as heating.

9 minutes ago, starfighter441 said:

Still though, every cabin I ever stayed in had a woodstove for cooking as well as heating.

I agree but touristy areas sometimes don't bother. I imagine it may also be a liability issue. You don't want campers burning the cottages down so you maintain a fire pit outside. I don't know why the draft dodger's cabin wouldn't have a stove though... 

On 2017. 01. 07. at 8:59 AM, Theron90 said:

Hello, gonna start with I love this game. Lost entire day when I downloaded the alpha. I do have some hopefully useful feedback on realism. I grew up in rural northern Alaska in a tribe/village. Practically every home or place of work in the north has some kind of wood fire stove or chimney. Not to mention guns were plentiful in every home. You'd be hard press not to find these. 

Well, about rifles: you don't need them so hard in this game. Or at least, won't use them for long... simply because, except for Pilgrim mode, wolves keep respawn, so you can shoot them on pile, until you're out of ammo. :) Better avoiding them.

Fireplaces: That's a strange experience. I see propane tanks at each trailers, but nothing to use inside with propane. Did they take them as important in the big hurry? More confusing, some bigger buildings, like that one at Jackrabbit Island has a gas cooker, but no propane tank around/outside the house. On second thought, imagining an inhabitant, I would make an alternative heating/cooking option, for the case when a house runs out of propane. (But as for touristy, the lack of a fireplace inside a house is pretty reasonable.)

Bonus question: there are unopenable doors in some houses (simply no option to use hacksaw/knife/hatchet/prybar). Are they part of the story mode?

Archived