If/when its implemented what do you want out of the pistol?

Northern Hunter

So, I know pistols are a bit of a sore subject when they are brought up, but since a revolver is listed on the roadmap we know at the very least the devs are thinking about adding a pistol. Because of the many possible uses for a pistol I want to ask the TLD community, What do you want out of a pistol, or do you even want a pistol? 

I want a pistol/revovler, I can see how its a fast shoting, self defense, no hunting gun (well that rabbit who is running straight towards you wants to be dinner so just do it). I also think that a revolver is better because in my head it is more likely for a revolver than a pistol in general to bring down a bear. Now I'm no gun expert or hunter and there IS pistols just as fine as revovlers too, but in general when I think about it.

When NPC are added one might be able to hide it for what good use I dont know but one could wich would not be as likely with a hunting rifle. Now my head is trippin away on something of a revolver in the right hand and a knife in the left, the rifle and axe taking up both hands, one could use a lantern inside a cave and carry the revolver out without dropping the lantern, spin on and keep up the thinking!

I personally don't want to have another type of gun as I neither feel any need for it it nor find it interesting.

But as we're most likely going to see some kind of a revolver added once NPCs get introduced anyway, I at least hope that we're not forced to shoot any other person with the revolver. Neither in storymode, nor in the sandbox. One should always have a choice not to use it, even if this means a disadvantage or risk for your character.

In other words: I primarily want the revolver to be an entirely optional and not a mandatory tool how to interact with NPCs. I'm totally fine should some NPCs be aggressive assholes, but I want to have different choices how to deal with them that are more complex than just "shooting bad guys if they bother you".

As long as they dont add any more guns than the revolver the game should keep its feel.

My best bet is that it will serve as a defense tool for a charging bear or threatening npcs. 

The pistol would most likely be an officers, and be more rare (in ammo as well) than the enfield rifle?

For anyone who really doesn't want a revolver to be added into the game, keep in mind it was already in the game already. It was super rare and the ammo was too. It wasn't all that bad having it in the game. I don't understand why you wouldn't want one to be added, it's perefectly fine and another weapon is a welcome change. I'm tired of the same old rifle with the same old ammo. I would take a pistol over a bulky bolt action any day (with the exception of hunting etc.)

11 hours ago, HazardousHowitzer said:

For anyone who really doesn't want a revolver to be added into the game, keep in mind it was already in the game already. It was super rare and the ammo was too. It wasn't all that bad having it in the game. I don't understand why you wouldn't want one to be added, it's perefectly fine and another weapon is a welcome change. I'm tired of the same old rifle with the same old ammo. I would take a pistol over a bulky bolt action any day (with the exception of hunting etc.)

I can't recall a pistol in game before, if it was must of been a really earlier version of the game. Anyhow I think a pistol would be great fun. Whip it out and shoot that crazy deer that runs straight for you lol. Setup some drink cans for target practice.

I generally don't see the need for a second firearm.

But if it was to be introduced, I would want its behavior to be significantly different from the rifle (having to make decisions is what makes this game interesting/rewarding):

• Lower weight (easier choice to make for bringing on long distance looting runs)
  • Lower range (it should only be useful for self defense, not hunting)
  • Lower damage (to injure, scare off wolves, but usually not kill them right away as the rifle almost always does. It should not be possible to kill deer/bears, only scare them off with no eventual death from either).
  • Please do not introduce a second kind of ammunition for this gun. I don't want to start worrying about which ammo I have, and turn this into a shooter game with three different gun types and three different types of ammo.

Generally, a pistol should be a self-defense weapon only, that scares off wolves, leading to their eventual death. IT could also be used to hunt rabbits at lower range/while crouched. It should not just be a lighter version of the rifle with a different kind of ammo.

On 2017-01-14 at 10:28 AM, Scyzara said:

I personally don't want to have another type of gun as I neither feel any need for it it nor find it interesting.

But as we're most likely going to see some kind of a revolver added once NPCs get introduced anyway, I at least hope that we're not forced to shoot any other person with the revolver. Neither in storymode, nor in the sandbox. One should always have a choice not to use it, even if this means a disadvantage or risk for your character.

In other words: I primarily want the revolver to be an entirely optional and not a mandatory tool how to interact with NPCs. I'm totally fine should some NPCs be aggressive assholes, but I want to have different choices how to deal with them that are more complex than just "shooting bad guys if they bother you".

Ditto. Those are exactly my concerns with the introduction of revolvers. Plus the Canadian gun culture makes having revolvers far less likely (unlike other hunting firearms).

Personally, i like where @GorillaDust is going but I would suggest a .22LR instead of a pistol. They can be taken apart and folded for backpacks/survival, would be much easier to purchase than a pistol, wouldn't need new mechanics for how to load/shoot one, and it would be OK against small game, would injure/scare a wolf and would just make a bear angry.

For instance this rifle is legally sold in Canada and was originally designed as a survival rifle for pilots ;)

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/3085/henry-us-survival-ar7-22-semi-auto-rifle?ak_t=4FB39492F3B23B53CF76E8D9A2890B51CCEDADA55D4A000069A17E581E274C16

• 2 weeks later...

I can only speak from my own personal experience, but it seems that the further away I travel from the city, the higher the likelihood of the local populace being armed. In the game I don't see a compelling reason to not simulate that either, the setting it seems is far from civilization and it stands to reason that anyone living in a rural environment would have some kind of personal protection. I'd like to see at a minimum a snub nosed revolver in .38 Special (with a possibility for using .357 magnum, with the ammo being rare of course). I think it should spawn at someplace likely, perhaps at the camp office office, forestry lookout, trapper's homestead, prepper cache, etc.

4 hours ago, deathbydanish said:

I can only speak from my own personal experience, but it seems that the further away I travel from the city, the higher the likelihood of the local populace being armed. In the game I don't see a compelling reason to not simulate that either, the setting it seems is far from civilization and it stands to reason that anyone living in a rural environment would have some kind of personal protection. I'd like to see at a minimum a snub nosed revolver in .38 Special (with a possibility for using .357 magnum, with the ammo being rare of course). I think it should spawn at someplace likely, perhaps at the camp office office, forestry lookout, trapper's homestead, prepper cache, etc.

Not being one to let a nit go by unpicked, while a .357 Magnum will chamber .38Special, the reverse is not true.

Personally if we really must have a pistol, then I'd rather that it be something along the lines of the Colt Woodsman. 22LR suitable for shooting a bunny or grouse and not much else.DSC_8216_phatchfinal.jpg

3 hours ago, starfighter441 said:

Not being one to let a nit go by unpicked, while a .357 Magnum will chamber .38Special, the reverse is not true.

Personally if we really must have a pistol, then I'd rather that it be something along the lines of the Colt Woodsman. 22LR suitable for shooting a bunny or grouse and not much else.DSC_8216_phatchfinal.jpg

I guess I got it mixed up then, get a .357 magnum pistol, make the actual .357 magnum ammo rare, make the .38 special ammo common (but much less capable), but make it so that the revolver's condition will degrade much faster with the .357 magnum ammo vs the .38 special ammo.

I actually brought my Ruger 10/22 and ATI GSG-1911 in .22LR out shooting last month, and while the temps ranged in the ~30ºF mark (not nearly as cold as in the game), I had jams with both firearms, even when I switched to CCI Minimag 40 grain solids (which are my go to for reliability) I still had a plethora of issues. A few of those rounds still dot the ground where I tried to correct the malfunctions. Rimfire at least for me is finicky at best, maybe they could simulate that in the game, a higher likelihood of malfunctions when the temps drop to near freezing.

3 hours ago, deathbydanish said:

I guess I got it mixed up then, get a .357 magnum pistol, make the actual .357 magnum ammo rare, make the .38 special ammo common (but much less capable), but make it so that the revolver's condition will degrade much faster with the .357 magnum ammo vs the .38 special ammo.

I actually brought my Ruger 10/22 and ATI GSG-1911 in .22LR out shooting last month, and while the temps ranged in the ~30ºF mark (not nearly as cold as in the game), I had jams with both firearms, even when I switched to CCI Minimag 40 grain solids (which are my go to for reliability) I still had a plethora of issues. A few of those rounds still dot the ground where I tried to correct the malfunctions. Rimfire at least for me is finicky at best, maybe they could simulate that in the game, a higher likelihood of malfunctions when the temps drop to near freezing.

.22 SemI-Automatics do tend to jam in the cold, you have to keep the action pretty dry, and some are pretty finicky about what they will eat ( my Cooey did not like CCI stingers at all, but fed Remington Yellow Jackets with no hesitation). Bolt or pump actions never gave me any problems.

Note: as someone who grew up in rural Canada I can honestly say I never met anyone who actually owned a handgun. Rifles and shotguns yes but never a handgun. Handguns are only good for two things: target practice and shooting people (hunting with handguns is illegal in Canada). As a consequence there's no real point in owning one.

7 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Note: as someone who grew up in rural Canada I can honestly say I never met anyone who actually owned a handgun. Rifles and shotguns yes but never a handgun. Handguns are only good for two things: target practice and shooting people (hunting with handguns is illegal in Canada). As a consequence there's no real point in owning one.

I knew a few that had handguns, but as you say, they are not much use for hunting ( I have trouble hitting the floor with them ).

36 minutes ago, starfighter441 said:

.22 SemI-Automatics do tend to jam in the cold, you have to keep the action pretty dry, and some are pretty finicky about what they will eat ( my Cooey did not like CCI stingers at all, but fed Remington Yellow Jackets with no hesitation). Bolt or pump actions never gave me any problems.

I like the Stingers, and so far (knock on wood) both of my .22lr firearms have not had any issues with them. The new CCI Copper 22s are an interesting idea, their muzzle velocity is even higher than the Stingers, but unfortunately it was one of the CCI rounds that started to have malfunctions when I tried to shoot them in the cold.

18 minutes ago, starfighter441 said:

I knew a few that had handguns, but as you say, they are not much use for hunting ( I have trouble hitting the floor with them ).

I think the idea here should be that the revolvers are meant to be a short range self defense weapon, for example if the game had a Colt Python with the 2 inch barrel, it should be hilariously hard for an unskilled shooter to hit anything past 7 yards. So as not to break the immersion, I would think that it would be more appropriate for the revolver to spawn in areas that it is likely to be found in real life, for example the Camp Office or Trapper's Homestead, I don't expect to happen upon a revolver while walking out in the open in Forlorn Muskeg.

Archived