Build a cabin

PowerYew

Hey hinterland I'm hopping we could add the ability to build a cabin or a camp site in the game.

The way you could build the cabin is with

50: fir wood

50:ceder wood

But it could take 5 days to make.

The camp site would take 20 cloth and 15 sticks you can and the ability to add a camp fire or not.

This is what I would like to see in The Long Dark I hop you would take into consideration of my ideas

Thanks for reading

Cabin feels like a stretch when realism (as far as possible) is concerned. Real life hand made cabin would take a whole lot of skill and time (months). But a camp site sounds doable, was not the snowshelter a bit like a tent? I have not tried it out yet, so I'm unceratin.

2 hours ago, Don Honas said:

Cabin feels like a stretch when realism (as far as possible) is concerned. Real life hand made cabin would take a whole lot of skill and time (months). But a camp site sounds doable, was not the snowshelter a bit like a tent? I have not tried it out yet, so I'm unceratin.

No, no they don't. 

Log cabins don't take large amounts of skill or time to make. Some, certainly, but not a lot. 

I've built a 12 x 12 log cabin in about a week.

1 hour ago, Boston123 said:

No, no they don't. 

Log cabins don't take large amounts of skill or time to make. Some, certainly, but not a lot. 

I've built a 12 x 12 log cabin in about a week.

Never built a log cabin myself, I have only observed others building them. So months might be pushing it I admit, but could you actually be able to build a log cabin in a week? Without a chainsaw (if not added later) and alone? Just the cutting would be a huge undertaking. Then the problem of lifting alone is also a hurdle. Most would probably be able to lift dry timber without help (if you lift one side at a time) but "wet" timber does have a quite hefty weight. But then again timber does tend to be a bit drier in the winter than in summer. 

1 hour ago, starfighter441 said:

I have to ask why?  There are all sorts of habitable buildings already in place.

A Campsite though might be an idea, say a lean-to using a couple of limbs and a bunch of branches.  If a tarp was to be found from time to time that would also be helpful.

I agree.  It would be absurd in a survival situation to spend any energy or materials building a new structure when so many other buildings already exist. 

I do like the simple campsite idea, though. 

1 minute ago, Don Honas said:

Never built a log cabin myself, I have only observed others building them. So months might be pushing it I admit, but could you actually be able to build a log cabin in a week? Without a chainsaw (if not added later) and alone? Just the cutting would be a huge undertaking. Then the problem of lifting alone is also a hurdle. Most would probably be able to lift dry timber without help (if you lift one side at a time) but "wet" timber does have a quite hefty weight. But then again timber does tend to be a bit drier in the winter than in summer. 

Not to mention that internal combustion engines don't seem to be working anymore...  Sort of like S. M. Stirling's "Dies The Fire", excepting that firearms still work.

Archived