I Found Some "Thing" In Forlorn Muskeg

Pasquinel

... guys.... GuYss! is this why all the corpses look the same!? And all the wolves and deer and bear do too?

Btw I havent watched the movie but thanks to this Im going to watch both this, and "The Road" because I can see where both would have references in-game.

@Patrick Carlson, so to clarify without spoilers are you saying there are "easter eggs" currently in the sandbox, or were you talking more in the lines of similar themes/art existing?

9 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

... guys.... GuYss! is this why all the corpses look the same!? And all the wolves and deer and bear do too?

Btw I havent watched the movie but thanks to this Im going to watch both this, and "The Road" because I can see where both would have references in-game.

@Patrick Carlson, so to clarify without spoilers are you saying there are "easter eggs" currently in the sandbox, or were you talking more in the lines of similar themes/art existing?

My advice would be to watch the movie and then decide for yourself what themes you feel might be similar to what you see in The Long Dark. ;)

On 2017-01-14 at 11:14 PM, MarrowStone said:

Alrighty, all I needed to know, time to take a trip to the video store/rental, and hopefully find one thats not vhs?! (Our old player makes tv dinners out of our tapes)

I never got a chance to see it because apparently nobody I know seems to know about it, strange.

It is a classic ^_^

You should be able to find a DVD version. It may even be on Netflix now. I remember seeing either the original or the prequel/remake on there a few months ago.

The_Thing_(1982)_theatrical_poster.jpg

Ok to all of those unfamiliar with The Thing or its chronology. There are a series of movies based on the Novella "Who Goes There".

The first movie was made in the 50's was titled "The Thing From Another World" which was loosely based on the original story. It's a great old fashioned monster movie with a smart story line and good suspense based on acting and story as opposed to graphic scares.

In the 1980's John Carpenter created "The Thing" which more closely follows the original story with some exceptions. It takes place in Antarctica and literally scared the hell out of me when it was released. Well written and directed and the special effects were amazing. There is no CGI in the film just mechanical effects and some stop motion.

In 2011 The last version of The Thing was released and it served as a prequel to John Carpenters version. It was ok, to reliant on CGI which just doesn't do the job that the old masters of SFX could do. Not anywhere as good as John Carpenters release but it does serve to further explain the novel and the events leading up the Carpenters release and is worth watching if your a fan.

To be honest I had never thought to look for any references to The Thing in TLD though I couldn't help but associate the two. I will definitely look for the "tips of the hat" now.

And be more careful in Forlorn Muskeg...

So... i watched the Thing...

The 80s was spoiled with such good movies and music.

Its now my favourite horror film, I particularly like how "purely" it delivers itself to the viewer, theres no "fan-service" erotic scenes that have nothing to do with the story, no mind-bogglingy dull characters that get eaten for their stupidity, and no monsters that you never get to see clearly because of confusing camera angles/movements, its just a thrilling build up of equal parts fear and paranoia until an ending that leaves you thinking and wanting more.

Thanks for the lead, guys! Again, those who lived in the 80s were spoiled.

I watched the first 30 minutes or so of the Youtube link above.

References so far:

• The wrecked Norwegian research station has definite flashes of Hibernia Whale Plant or Carter Dam to it, with some of the control consoles and the metal shelving and wooden crates strewn about.
  • The lantern is the same.
  • The American research team speculate that the Norwegians might have been caused to go crazy by Cabin Fever.
  • The yelping sound the dogs make when they escape from the cage with The Thing in is the same as the sound our wolves make when they run away from campfires.

I will continue watching the rest of the movie with a close eye on this, but it's pretty obvious to me already that John Carpenter has played a good deal of TLD, and then got hold of a time machine so that he could cleverly try to pass the ideas off as his own in this movie by making it 30 years "before". I think Hinterland should be looking into the legal options here.

Dont forget flares, and all communications and transportation equipment being wiped out.

Also, upon watching "The Road" you can see many themes and items from it as well. I also wouldnt be surprused if Joel from the last of us took some characteristics from the father in the movie as well.

In The Road, the flaregun and the endless cold screamed the long dark. Plus the earthquakes and trees dying.

Also the choices and consequences the father have kind of mirror what kind of choices I envision making in story mode. Im looking at you, flaregun/bow scene... as not to spoil it too much.

Archived